[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colt Brennan vs WAS DBs

Bronco Billy

link

Horton Richer, Thanks to C(olt)-Note

Most plays during training camp don't mean much, but Colt Brennan managed to throw a costly interception Tuesday morning - to the tune of $100.

Brennan, trying to overtake Todd Collins as the Redskins' backup quarterback, made it through the first 12 days of camp without throwing a single interception, a fact that he mentioned to the Redskins' defensive backs on a daily basis.

"That was my way of talking trash," Brennan said. "'For God's sake, will you guys pick me?!"

Brennan and cornerback Fred Smoot got to talking and the pair worked out a deal. If Brennan could get through all of training camp interception-free, the defensive backs would give him $20 for each day. But if Brennan threw an interception, he'd have to pull out a crisp Benjamin Franklin to whichever player picked him off.

"I just kept telling them over and over that I want to get that monkey off my back before we went to Baltimore," said Brennan, noting that he'd rather throw his first interception in practice rather than a preseason game.

On Tuesday, the team was going 9-on-9 when Brennan faced a rush and scrambled outside. He lost track of coverage and threw the ball about 10 yards downfield. That's where Chris Horton stepped in front of the pass, catching the ball mid-stride and making Brennan's wallet a little bit lighter.

"It actually put a smile on my face," Brennan said later. "Part of being a quarterback is making mistakes and bouncing back. I've taken a lot of chances out here. I've had a good little camp, but I hadn't throw a pick yet.

"So now, in the end, I guess Chris Horton and the defense get a nice little afternoon lunchbreak on me."

:wacko:

I've got to admit - and I have Brennan on no FF teams whatsoever - that I am continually impressed by this kid. He looked very good in his preseason opportunities last year, and he's got a swagger to him. He played very well at Hawaii but got tagged as a system QB and he definitely needed to bulk up to play in the bigs. He won't throw 60 yd lasers downfield, but he really seems to understand the game and put the ball in good spots for his receivers.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him bypass Campbell in the near future. Campbell has all the athletic ability you'd want out of a QB, but his judgment is sorely lacking and I really question whether he'll ever learn to properly read Ds. Brennan just seems to have the "it" factor that Campbell doesn't.

Edited by Bronco Billy