[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Marshall in Court Today

The Wolf

ATLANTA (AP) -Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall is set to appear in Fulton County State Court on a misdemeanor battery charge.

He is scheduled to appear before Judge John R. Mather Thursday morning.

The charge stems from a March 2008 argument with then-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley at Marshall's downtown Atlanta condominium.

Marshall was suspended for last year's season opener after a series of domestic disputes. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said a conviction in this case could lead to a second suspension.

As a Marshall dynasty owner, a second suspension would really stink. As a fan of the NFL, I sincerely hope this kid gets things sorted out off the field because he has all the talent in the world on it.

link

Verdict expected today for Marshall

Broncos' wide receiver not expected to testify in Georgia battery trial.

By Lindsay H. Jones

The Denver Post

Posted: 08/14/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Updated: 08/14/2009 01:15:39 AM MDT

Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall could face further suspensions from the NFL if he is convicted of misdemeanor battery today. (John Amis, The Associated Press )ATLANTA, Ga. — By this evening, an Atlanta jury is expected to decide whether Brandon Marshall is a violent, abusive boyfriend or the victim of an extortion attempt by a disgruntled former girlfriend.

While the truth may lie somewhere in the complicated middle, those were the two disparate arguments presented by lawyers Thursday on the first day of Marshall's trial in Atlanta on a misdemeanor battery charge, the result of a fight with his former girlfriend on March 4, 2008.

Prosecuting attorney Robert Bembridge is expected to conclude the state's case against Marshall this morning before turning the trial over to Marshall's defense team, led by Denver-based attorney Harvey Steinberg. Marshall is not expected to testify.

Whether the Broncos will have to play regular-season games without Marshall, the team's No. 1 wide receiver who had more than 100 catches in each of the past two seasons, could hinge on what those four women and two men decide.

If Marshall is convicted — it will take a 6-0 vote to find him guilty — he could face additional punishment from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who already suspended him for one game last season after his initial arrest on the domestic violence charge.

The prosecution presented four witnesses Thursday: the Atlanta police officer who responded to the initial 911 call to Marshall and Watley's downtown condominium; Watley's two younger sisters, who came to the condo after the fight; and Watley herself, who was on the witness stand for nearly two hours before Judge John R. Mather excused the jury for the day.

Watley said the fight between her and Marshall started when he saw a text message on her cellphone from another man, and escalated into a physical confrontation. Watley told jurors that Marshall pushed her,

Watley also described, in detail, four other violent incidents with Marshall, two in Colorado and two in Atlanta.

"I couldn't tell you how many incidents," Watley said. "More than I can count on my hands."

In her testimony, Watley said it wasn't until after she and Marshall had broken up for good that she realized she had been in an abusive relationship. She wore a purple ribbon, the symbol for domestic violence awareness, pinned to her black blouse when she took the stand.

"I felt like he didn't know he was an abusive person," Watley said. "What he did to me was wrong. I want him to get help."

Steinberg, in his opening statement and in his cross-examination, tried to convince the jury that Watley was solely after Marshall's money by showing a $500,000 shakedown letter written by Watley's first lawyer and asking her about driving a 2008 Jaguar owned by Marshall.

"She knew how valuable that relationship was," Steinberg said in his opening statement.

Steinberg also tried to hurt Watley's credibility by presenting a letter Watley wrote to Goodell in late July 2008, in which she denied that Marshall ever abused her.

On the witness stand, Watley said she lied to Goodell in that letter because Marshall "begged" her to.

"I did that, in a way, to protect him," Watley said.

After Mather dismissed the jury for the evening, he listened to, then denied, a motion from Steinberg for a mistrial. Steinberg argued that Marshall was not getting a fair trial because Bembridge, in a question to Watley, mentioned that Marshall had been charged with false imprisonment in Colorado in 2007. The comment had been stricken from the record. Steinberg also argued Watley made inappropriate comments about Marshall's DUI arrest in Denver and about Marshall's March 1, 2009, arrest on a disorderly conduct charge — which was quickly dismissed — involving Marshall and his fiancee, Michi Nogami.

Were you lying then, or are you lying now? Classic Law & Order credibility question. I don't think the $500K extortion letter drafted by her first lawyer helps her case too much either - especially knowing this case is probably a springboard into a civil suit.

If all jurors have to find him guilty, he'll walk. I think, just from what I have read in BB's post, there exists enough reasonable doubt as to her honesty and even to her real motive.

IMO, he walks and faces no further suspension. The only question in my mind is how long he walks until he stumbles again...

Edited by The Wolf

Marshall: Not Guilty

by Mike Klis on August 14, 2009

The jury has declared Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall not guilty of misdemeanor battery charge.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/0...all-not-guilty/

That was pretty quick, maybe the evidence was flimsy. Anyone know where I could read court transcript?