[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How honest are mock drafts ?

MustOfBeenDrunk

If you have a sleeper or two that you will be targeting in the middle to late rounds.

Would you draft them in a mock where you have them targeted ?

Or would you intentionally let said player / players slip so not to tip your hand ?

Many of us that do mocks are also in real drafts with the same people.

There for would you want them to know that you are targeting a potential sleeper ?

The reason behind mocks are to get a feel for ADP but how accurate are they ?

(3) Players I thought would drastically out perform their ADP are

WR Avery

RB Rice

RB Scott

So in the 1/2 dozen mocks i did with other owners that I'm in leagues with I intentionally did not draft any of these players

Why bring attention to them ?

Avery & Rice are not big secrets this year but Scott has been drafted in only one of the mocks i was in.

Now I'm thinking maybe some of the other drafters were following suit and purposely not tipping their hand ?

I haven't found any reputable mock sites to use.

fantasyfootballcalculator was decent but now is overrun with folks who join and leave so they can join several at a time. Leaving about 3 real drafters in the lobby. Shame really.

Never do mocks with people in your league(s).

I hold back a little and try and get players a little later. I would take those players a little earlier in a real draft.

That's why in 2V's drafts teams real names were hidden.

Never do mocks with people in your league(s).

that's easier said than done because results of mocks are posted everywhere

so even if you were to do an honest one the results would be posted and a players ADP would rise

WR Avery

RB Rice

RB Scott

So in the 1/2 dozen mocks i did with other owners that I'm in leagues with I intentionally did not draft any of these players

Avery & Rice are not big secrets this year but Scott has been drafted in only one of the mocks i was in.

Now I'm thinking maybe some of the other drafters were following suit and purposely not tipping their hand ?

Nate Burleson(WR-63) and Bobby Engram (74) I think are too.

If you do mock drafts on fantasycalculator then I would say your pretty much free to do what you think your going to do since they hold 1 every 45 seconds and you have a 10 minute waiting period to just get in.

So you can use any random name you want and most likely won't ever be in any of the real drafts with any of these people.

To me the part of the mock draft that is most helpful is when you DO NOT draft the players you actually want for the most part especially your sleepers. Then you can get a feel for where they might go in a real draft and you can know when to take them.

If your out there taking a player as your sleeper in every mock draft you do and say your taking him in round 6 you will never know if the guy is really a round 8 or 9 guy to the public. So if you draft 10 mocks and never take him and see him go anywhere from rounds 7-9 then you have more of a feel where he might be drafted and where you will need to take him.

WR Avery

RB Rice

RB Scott

So by posting here, aren't you in essence letting people in your leagues know who your sleepers are?

So by posting here, aren't you in essence letting people in your leagues know who your sleepers are?

Yes but Avery got injured , Rice has been moving up the boards and Scott has had a lot of talk here at the Huddle.

That is why I only listed those players ,,, the rest I'm keeping under raps

I just wanted to get a feel of how others approached mocks ?

From the few reply's I get the feeling most that do mocks approach them like myself, not taking players where they would in a real draft.

So if that is true ,,,,,, them mock are pretty much useless once you get out of the 1st couple of rounds ,, maybe even sooner ?

If you have a sleeper or two that you will be targeting in the middle to late rounds.

Would you draft them in a mock where you have them targeted ?

Or would you intentionally let said player / players slip so not to tip your hand ?

Many of us that do mocks are also in real drafts with the same people.

There for would you want them to know that you are targeting a potential sleeper ?

The reason behind mocks are to get a feel for ADP but how accurate are they ?

I utilize tiers when I draft...so with that said the players in a tier are basically all the same to me...some might have more upside but added risks while others may have less risk and less upside...i will be fluid with the draft and draft according to what type of team I have assembled...ie: do I have a ton of upside guys? If so when I get into a tier I might lean towards a "safer" lower floor lower ceiling player to offset some risk...also if I have a gut about a sleeper that I put in a tier with say 4-5 WRs I might take one of the other WRs to see how far my sleeper will fall...but still I took a player in the same tier so I am not being deceptive.

Mock drafts are almost useless. I literally have to laugh when I have have seen someone claim (at this site no less) that they do thousands of mock drafts before the their regular drafts.

People use mock drafts primarily for 3 reasons: 1) to experiment and see where players may fall in certain draft slots, 2) to gain experience because they are relatively new to FF, and 3) as a lark because they are bored or anxious to get to their own draft. Because of those 3 reasons, mocks drafts are predominantly unreliable and can actually give you a false read of where players you'd like to draft may go.

I'll do maybe - maybe - 2 to 3 mocks before the season starts, including one here at the main board, just to get the wheels turning. But as far as significant preparation for real drafts, at best they are useless and at worst they can be completely misleading. I'd rather use that time better in other types of draft prep.

Mock drafts are almost useless. I literally have to laugh when I have have seen someone claim (at this site no less) that they do thousands of mock drafts before the their regular drafts.

People use mock drafts primarily for 3 reasons: 1) to experiment and see where players may fall in certain draft slots, 2) to gain experience because they are relatively new to FF, and 3) as a lark because they are bored or anxious to get to their own draft. Because of those 3 reasons, mocks drafts are predominantly unreliable and can actually give you a false read of where players you'd like to draft may go.

I'll do maybe - maybe - 2 to 3 mocks before the season starts, including one here at the main board, just to get the wheels turning. But as far as significant preparation for real drafts, at best they are useless and at worst they can be completely misleading. I'd rather use that time better in other types of draft prep.

i wouldnt say they are completely useless but I will say I think that looking at where positions fall is probably a bit more safe than for player name....IE: in years past you were able to tell that the 1st WR was coming off the board after around 10-12 or more RBs and then there was a WR run of around x players....stuff like that....what round was the 1st TE going in...also another thing I always liked to do in drafts would be to see how picking a particular position at a given time would affect a draft(that is the sorta practice you refer to but then that doesnt mean it will work out that way in your draft).