[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ball Hitting Scoreboard

Footballjoe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players wear helmets. They would be fine.

LOL. I had the same thought. What would it be like for the whole 1 million pound plus rig to just come crashing down all at once? Not that that would realistically happen without fair warning, but anybody underneath it would be indented 10 feet into the earth.

Edited by Crazysight

LOL. I had the same thought. What would it be like for the whole rig to just come crashing down all at once? Not that that would realistically happen without fair warning, but anybody underneath it would be indented 10 feet into the earth.

Yeah, but I wouldn't realistically think that someone designing a billion-dollar structure wouldn't take steps to ensure it is fit for its intended use either. We are seeing that Jerry has his own opinion about things, the experts or common sense be damned.

The screen weighs over 500 tons. Did Jerry have the same attitude about approving the support structure as he did about the height, i.e., screw it, these cheaper cables should hold? Nothing would surprise me.

Folks we live in America! Personal responsibility is ALWAYS deflected onto someone else.

It is time to sue:

The NFL

The Punter(s)

The Widescreen TV manufacturer

The folks who installed the field turf (blades are too tall)

The Punter(s) shoe manufacturer

The football manufacturer

The player who made the tackle that created the 4th down play

The player who was tackled that created the 4th down play

etc etc etc.

Jerry Jones fault or who ever directed the creation of this stadium...the buck stops there. The league is not at fault. I get they OKed it but that does not make them responsible.

It's really our fault, since we're the one who pay the outrageous ticket prices, merchandise, dish TV and satellite radio prices, overly expensive beer/food/souveniers etc. etc etc that allow the league and owners to be so powerful in the first place. If not for us they never would have had the revenue to buy such a monstrosity. I'll be the first to admit fault as I went to a game a couple years ago. *Hangs head in shame*

So sue the fans Jerry. We let you down by allowing you to do it.

Edited by Crazysight

Yeah, but I wouldn't realistically think that someone designing a billion-dollar structure wouldn't take steps to ensure it is fit for its intended use either. We are seeing that Jerry has his own opinion about things, the experts or common sense be damned.

The screen weighs over 500 tons. Did Jerry have the same attitude about approving the support structure as he did about the height, i.e., screw it, these cheaper cables should hold? Nothing would surprise me.

According to unnamed sources, it is actually held in place by nearly fifty plastic zip ties. And because of this, it would take several men more than an hour to raise and re-hang. This is obviously an unacceptable expense.

I loved the comment about the players wearing helmets. Yeah, that'll help! :wacko:

What is the plan now? Jeff Fisher brought up a great point: with current league rules, and punt bounces off the scoreboard is a do over. However, the time used in each attempt isn't put back on the clock. That rule has to go out the window asap.

What is the plan now? Jeff Fisher brought up a great point: with current league rules, and punt bounces off the scoreboard is a do over. However, the time used in each attempt isn't put back on the clock. That rule has to go out the window asap.

AWESOME!

Brings in a whole new way to "kill the clock" with under 2 minutes. Just keep punting into the scorebaord until the clock reads zero . .

AWESOME!

Brings in a whole new way to "kill the clock" with under 2 minutes. Just keep punting into the scorebaord until the clock reads zero . .

Bono just shot up my draft board

:wacko:

No, it doesn't.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. The Cowboys are completely responsible for thier own facility to ensure that it functions properly. They hire experts to do the work for them to ensure its functionality.

If the NFL does anything else other than a cursory check to make sure that all professionals are in order/credentialed and that it doesn't look like a phallic symbol, it would greatly surprise me.

From Peter King this morning, so take it with a grain of salt:

4. As for who will pay for the board to be moved, my money's on the NFL picking up the tab. Why? Because the league inspected the most minute of details at the new stadium -- I'm told even rubber-stamping the size of the X-ray room and medical facilities for players at Cowboys Stadium. If they're looking at those things, they're looking at everything.

Martz, Fisher and Mooch chime in:

Mooch:

"It's a no-brainer, Move it up. I don't know when they set that standard that [anything over the field had to be at least] 85 feet, maybe back in the '30s? They need to find a way to move that up. It's that simple. To spend over a billion dollars to have this problem is . . . amazing."

Martz:

"It's a distraction to the game and shouldn't be tolerated. The game wasn't created to kick and throw around obstacles. It just has to be fixed."

Fisher:

It's from "a game operations book from 40 or 50 years ago." "No one's to blame."

on a side note, I'm taking my star wars fanatic 4-yr old to the stadium in October for this:

http://www.starwarsinconcert.com/

no games yet, but Scooby's Hubby is welcome to get me some tickets around my birthday 11-18

Star Wars on Ice Live is awesome.

It's The Dallas Cowboys we're talking about here. They can lift 500 tons with one hand tied behind their back. Besides, it's not like Jerry Jones used illegal Mexicans for their work. :wacko:

you know, if it was just one little 10 square ft scoreboard hanging down, it might not be an issue at that height. say it's a 1-in-10,000 shot that any given punt would hit an obstacle that size at that height. an obstacle that is 100 times bigger than that....well suddenly your odds are 1-in-100 that a punt will hit it. the NFL guidebook or whatever probably wasn't contemplating that sort of monstrosity spanning the entire field.

you know, if it was just one little 10 square ft scoreboard hanging down, it might not be an issue at that height. say it's a 1-in-10,000 shot that any given punt would hit an obstacle that size at that height. an obstacle that is 100 times bigger than that....well suddenly your odds are 1-in-100 that a punt will hit it. the NFL guidebook or whatever probably wasn't contemplating that sort of monstrosity spanning the entire field.

Most owners would say you know what, this is creating a controversy and obviously there is a decent chance of punts hitting the thing in the future, let me fix this ASAP. All would be forgotten. Instead Jerry is going to wait for the league to force his hand. What an egotistical a-hole, like we didn't already know that.

True...BUT...when it became known that Dallas planned this monstrosity, how did the league not check this "guidebook?" Even still, if they had checked, how was this monstrosity not questioned as a potential obstacle to the happenings on the field?

From Peter King this morning, so take it with a grain of salt:

4. As for who will pay for the board to be moved, my money's on the NFL picking up the tab. Why? Because the league inspected the most minute of details at the new stadium -- I'm told even rubber-stamping the size of the X-ray room and medical facilities for players at Cowboys Stadium. If they're looking at those things, they're looking at everything.

:D

Seriously. You're using Peter King as a source to back your argument on an architectural issue?

:wacko:

Most owners would say you know what, this is creating a controversy and obviously there is a decent chance of punts hitting the thing in the future, let me fix this ASAP. All would be forgotten. Instead Jerry is going to wait for the league to force his hand. What an egotistical a-hole, like we didn't already know that.

now you know why he acts the way he does

Jones speaks again, from PFT:

"Well, first of all, in a competitive situation, it's a little bit like a Home Run Derby in baseball," Jones said. "For the All Star Game you have players get up and hit the ball for home runs. And they don't swing like that in regular competition. If they did, they'd strike out probably most of the time. . . . So you've got to put this in a competitive situation. And we've spent tons and tons of time, lot of time, and lots of research in to where and how balls go. And I think the key is that in a competitive situation, we're gonna be fine."

Of course, "we're gonna be fine" doesn't mean that it will never be an issue.

"I'm not saying the ball won't hit sometimes up there, but it should be fine," Jones said.

In other words, "it should be fine" means "deal with it."

Jones also compared the overall situation to conditions that kickers encounter in other stadiums, and he seemed to take the position that kickers need to be flexible.

"[K]ickers have to deal with rain, sleet, snow, wind," Jones said. "When they're kicking in the wind, they have to drive the ball lower. And of course if you're on a baseball field that has baseball played on it as well, you go from dirt to grass like we did out in Oakland. So it's no new deal for kickers to adjust to the conditions that they play in. Also is the fact that we've got generally speaking a great place to kick the ball."

Jones shrugged off the notion that the presence of the board creates a competitive disadvantage by pointing out that the condition is something both teams have to deal with.

But what if the Cowboys have a low-ball punter and they're playing a team with a guy that kicks it high? In that case, it's an actual competitive disadvantage.

To no surprise, Jones believes that the "do over" rule should stand, and that the league shouldn't move quickly to impose a different rule.

"[Y]ou don't want to knee jerk too fast about what to do, if you do anything at all," Jones said. "You want to make sure everybody understands the ground rules, so to speak. And there's so many things that rules do -- and they're thought out that way. You might be interested to know that it's been advanced before that we take face masks off helmets. And that way you would reduce neck injuries because you wouldn't stick your head in there as much. . . . So, [there are a] lot of things that go in to rule making."

What a tool.

I guarantee you Lechlar will drill that thing on Thanksgiving Day if it is still that low.

So the league has ruled that a punted ball hitting the scoreboard will result in a do-over. I wonder what happens if the ball gets so close that you can't really tell if it skims the scoreboard or not. Is that a reviewable play? I could see a scenario where the ball gets up there very close and then the resulting kick return does not meet with one of the team's expectations, so they challenge with the argument that the ball hit the scoreboard. :wacko: