[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

hester

dmarc117

I disagree. He's on par to be a very good WR. If you look at the growth trend of good WRs, they all make significant progress in each of their first few years and Hester has done that by doubling his production his first 2 years. His first year at WR, he notched 20/300. In his next year (last season), he got 51/665. I suspect he'll get somewhere north of 70/950+ this season. He may never be a Moss or T.O. but he can be a low-end tier 1 or an elite tier 2 WR fantasy-wise. Don't doubt this guy yet, he's a phenominal athlete and I think the Bears did the right thing in trying to get him involved offensively. He is the best WR on the Bears right now.

I disagree. He's on par to be a very good WR. If you look at the growth trend of good WRs, they all make significant progress in each of their first few years and Hester has done that by doubling his production his first 2 years. His first year at WR, he notched 20/300. In his next year (last season), he got 51/665. I suspect he'll get somewhere north of 70/950+ this season. He may never be a Moss or T.O. but he can be a low-end tier 1 or an elite tier 2 WR fantasy-wise. Don't doubt this guy yet, he's a phenominal athlete and I think the Bears did the right thing in trying to get him involved offensively. He is the best WR on the Bears right now.

i will sell 70/950. and he is not the best wr on the bears. imo

There is now a "trust" issue between Cutler & Hester. Watching the Bears' game last weekend, Cutler threw Hester a deep sideline pass that some people immediately roasted him for because it was a floater that was intercepted. In fact, some Bronco fans took great glee in seeing that while bubbling over Orton's "improvement", which wasn't much of an improvement at all (but somewhat, which isn't saying much), but I digress.

Here's what I saw on that one play with the Cutler deep pass to Hester: Cutler saw single coverage with an inside lean by the CB, and the FS was too far over to help. Cutler aired the ball out to Hester in 1 on 1 coverage deep to see if he would be willing to fight and win a jump ball, like he knew Marshall, Royal, Stokley, and Scheffler would for him last year. Instead, Hester meekly surrendered an INT, not even willing to fight his way back into the play to bat down the ball and prevent an INT, much less go fight for the ball and win a deep reception.

Cutler threw deep INt last year at times because he trusts his arm and he trusted his WRs. He be willing to take a risk to get a hugh play. It's the only reason DEN was able to win nearly as many games as they did last year. Put Orton on last year's team, and you're looking at a 2 or 3 win team (hint, hint...). And to say that he was making rookie mistakes by checking out of 3 step drops and throwing deep is foolish. He was taking what the D was offering - the guy is a very smart QB who knew he had much greater room for error with the WRs he had.

That play last weekend told Cutler exactly what he needed to know about Hester - and choosing preseason to do it is exactly the right venue, and is what preseason is all about. Cutler won't be doing that during th regular season much, meaning Hester is going to have to break open and separate in his route running to get a pass thrown his way. That is going to reduce his opportunties. I wouldn't be too high on Hester this year. He'll get production, but it isn't going to be NFL WR1 type production, which mean it isn't likely to be FF WR2 type production. The guy is going to have a lower ceiling than many are projecting.

Edited by Bronco Billy

There is now a "trust" issue between Cutler & Hester. Watching the Bears' game last weekend, Cutler threw Hester a deep sideline pass that some people immediately roasted him for because it was a floater that was intercepted. In fact, some Bronco fans took great glee in seeing that while bubbling over Orton's "improvement", which wasn't much of an improvement at all (but somewhat, which isn't saying much), but I digress.

Here's what I saw on that one play with the Cutler deep pass to Hester: Cutler saw single coverage with an inside lean by the CB, and the FS was too far over to help. Cutler aired the ball out to Hester in 1 on 1 coverage deep to see if he would be willing to fight and win a jump ball, like he knew Marshall, Royal, Stokley, and Scheffler would for him last year. Instead, Hester meekly surrendered an INT, not even willing to fight his way back into the play to bat down the ball and prevent an INT, much less go fight for the ball and win a deep reception.

Cutler threw deep INt last year at times because he trusts his arm and he trusted his WRs. He be willing to take a risk to get a hugh play. It's the only reason DEN was able to win nearly as many games as they did last year. Put Orton on last year's team, and you're looking at a 2 or 3 win team (hint, hint...). And to say that he was making rookie mistakes by checking out of 3 step drops and throwing deep is foolish. He was taking what the D was offering - the guy is a very smart QB who knew he had much greater room for error with the WRs he had.

That play last weekend told Cutler exactly what he needed to know about Hester - and choosing preseason to do it is exactly the right venue, and is what preseason is all about. Cutler won't be doing that during th regular season much, meaning Hester is going to have to break open and separate in his route running to get a pass thrown his way. That is going to reduce his opportunties. I wouldn't be too high on Hester this year. He'll get production, but it isn't going to be NFL WR1 type production, which mean it isn't likely to be FF WR2 type production. The guy is going to have a lower ceiling than many are projecting.

Good post, you may be right. I was at the game this weekend and there was a deep ball thrown to Hester that he should have caught too - he kept changing his direction and speed and it was enough to come up short on the ball. Sometimes I get caught up in the stats too much, so your post is much appreciated. I'm not always right :wacko:

Good post, and from what I've seen/heard, Hester's being targeted big-time this preseason.

thats my whole issue. they are trying tooooo hard to make him a wr. they have some decent young wr's imo. and cutler will make those kids even better. let the real wr's play and maybe make hester a once-in-awhile-wr. keep him at returner though.

I'll go Greg Olson, even though technally he is a TE; he is the best RECEIVER on the Bears (IMO)

Yeah, I like Olsen a lot. But back to the original question, who is the best WR? I'm still waiting for an answer - I truly don't know anymore. I think it's Hester but BB brings up a valid point - if he's not willing to fight for balls, Cutler may look elsewhere. Man, I really wish we could have drafted Robiskie - I think that kid is gonna be great.

Yeah, I like Olsen a lot. But back to the original question, who is the best WR? I'm still waiting for an answer - I truly don't know anymore. I think it's Hester but BB brings up a valid point - if he's not willing to fight for balls, Cutler may look elsewhere. Man, I really wish we could have drafted Robiskie - I think that kid is gonna be great.

bennett

thats my whole issue. they are trying tooooo hard to make him a wr. they have some decent young wr's imo. and cutler will make those kids even better. let the real wr's play and maybe make hester a once-in-awhile-wr. keep him at returner though.

I agree they have somewhat decent young WRs, and Cutler will improve thier situation

but dont WRs usually break out after thier third year?

unless they are UBER-Stud/Freaks of nature.. (Moss/Owens etc..)

or hungry cats like Steve Smith -who fits the description although his stature is small..- (and DeJax the iggle, the new 'poormans-SteveSmith' IMO)

Honestly I think it sucks they stopped him from KR PR duites, but in the long run, I think (and I think they felt too) he would get hurt on KR/PR sooner or later..

and I also think they felt like if we can get him more touches we can increase his chances of scoring..

they cant do that on SP teams alone..

He and Cutler have more then Pre-season to get acquainted, they both should be on the team for a while..

I agree they have somewhat decent young WRs, and Cutler will improve thier situation

but dont WRs usually break out after thier third year?

unless they are UBER-Stud/Freaks of nature.. (Moss/Owens etc..)

or hungry cats like Steve Smith -who fits the description although his stature is small..- (and DeJax the iggle, the new 'poormans-SteveSmith' IMO)

Honestly I think it sucks they stopped him from KR PR duites, but in the long run, I think (and I think they felt too) he would get hurt on KR/PR sooner or later..

and I also think they felt like if we can get him more touches we can increase his chances of scoring..

they cant do that on SP teams alone..

He and Cutler have more then Pre-season to get acquainted, they both should be on the team for a while..

thats another point. it takes kids that have played wr their whole life 3years to finally get going in the nfl. hester is not a wr.

bennett

Maybe, he's a logical choice given he and Cutler's background. I like that number 19 (name eludes me). He had a great diving catch on Saturday. This lady I work with has been to 2 TC practices and says this guy has looked great both times. I think I read that Cutler likes him a lot too. Which WR steps up probably won't be answered until it's too late in the season.

thats another point. it takes kids that have played wr their whole life 3years to finally get going in the nfl. hester is not a wr.

I dunno, Hines Ward seemed to manage the task pretty quickly. I know he's the exception. I will be cautiously optimistic with Hester this year.

I dunno, Hines Ward seemed to manage the task pretty quickly. I know he's the exception. I will be cautiously optimistic with Hester this year.

i would love to see him excel, but i just dont see it. he isnt natural. he doesnt know which way to turn while running down a ball. once he gets the ball he is dangerous as balls. maybe wr screens? lol

Me too, maybe a later round acquisition on a Deeper league maybe the flex player (if he can get some PR yardage that would be a big plus..)..I see Forte and TEs and Tall WRs on the GL getting thier dap..hell even MacKee (what ever the FB last name is) then that means his only chance maybe the long run on the screen, (or other short passes taken for long gain) a Gadget play, or the BOMB. Hester should get his on big plays (but how many big plays does the kid take advantage of this year.. Cant afford to miss the 1on1 deep ball in the reg season when it counts)

Cutler threw deep INt last year at times because he trusts his arm and he trusted his WRs.

well, the other side of that is that hester's speed makes him a serious deep threat, he's just a different kind of deep threat. that's what cutler has to adjust to. if marshall is one on one deep, regardless of where the CB is, you throw it hard to the back shoulder and marshall either makes the catch, or forces the DB to interfere or make a great defensive play. if hester is deep one on one, I think you first look to see how well covered he is. if he's got a step or two on the DB, then you chuck it out there and let him run under it. if he doesn't have a step or two, you check down. I think that's the sort fo adjustment cutler was talking about with those comments some thought were disparaging hester. but yeah, if hester really wants to develop as a WR, going up to fight for balls is something he has to get better at.

well, the other side of that is that hester's speed makes him a serious deep threat, he's just a different kind of deep threat. that's what cutler has to adjust to. if marshall is one on one deep, regardless of where the CB is, you throw it hard to the back shoulder and marshall either makes the catch, or forces the DB to interfere or make a great defensive play. if hester is deep one on one, I think you first look to see how well covered he is. if he's got a step or two on the DB, then you chuck it out there and let him run under it. if he doesn't have a step or two, you check down. I think that's the sort fo adjustment cutler was talking about with those comments some thought were disparaging hester. but yeah, if hester really wants to develop as a WR, going up to fight for balls is something he has to get better at.

he cant even run under the ball though.

I think teams greatly undervalue punt/kick returners. When you have a guy who can consistently give you 20, 30, 40 yard returns and break off a TD every few games, it has a hugh impact. You pair that kind of talent with a good defense, and you are constantly giving your offense good field position. That's why I think moving Hester to WR was a mistake -- you just don't see that kind of talent very often, and he doesn't have nearly the same impact in the passing game as he did returning kicks.

I think DeSean Jackson is a similar player and if the Eagles are smart they will continue to use him on punt returns.

I think teams greatly undervalue punt/kick returners. When you have a guy who can consistently give you 20, 30, 40 yard returns and break off a TD every few games, it has a hugh impact. You pair that kind of talent with a good defense, and you are constantly giving your offense good field position. That's why I think moving Hester to WR was a mistake -- you just don't see that kind of talent very often, and he doesn't have nearly the same impact in the passing game as he did returning kicks.

I think DeSean Jackson is a similar player and if the Eagles are smart they will continue to use him on punt returns.

Whoa, I think Jackson is a true and much better WR than Hester.

In the Bears first preseason game, Hester was targeted 6 out of 10 passes thrown by Cutler. That is an insane average.

Hester will get respect off the line and get a large cushion due to his speed. That opens him up for quick slants and getting him the ball in space so he can use his speed.

Add that in with a very dangerous Olson, Bennett who is being WAY overvalued by people just because he played one year with Cutler, and Forte and all of a sudden Hester looks to be a very capable wr3 with #2 upside. His hands have improved, and his rate of improvement at the end of last year is very encouraging.

PS_ I think the guy you are talking about is Brandon Rideau. Big guy with good hands that could make some noise this year . . .