[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Squash

whomper

I grew squash this year. The first one I plucked ripened right before I went away for vacation so i gave it to my neighbor so it didnt go to waste. I have more on the way that should be ready in a few weeks. Any simple suggestions for a guy with limited skills in the kitchen ? Thanks

You didn't say if this was summer squash or zucchini but it doesn't really matter.

Simplest solution? Cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces, marinate in Italian salad dressing for 15-20 minutes. Grill over direct medium heat for 6-8 minutes turning once.

Cut into extremely thin slices (use a mandolin if you have one). Dip quickly in a thin egg wash and then dredge in AP flour and pat off as much as you can. You don't want a thick coating here. Deep fry or pan fry until GB&D and serve with marinara sauce.

F'n delicious.

Cut into extremely thin slices (use a mandolin if you have one). Dip quickly in a thin egg wash and then dredge in AP flour and pat off as much as you can. You don't want a thick coating here. Deep fry or pan fry until GB&D and serve with marinara sauce.

F'n delicious.

^^^ I am definately goning to give this a try! ^^^

and quite frankly the Itailan dressing one too..

Recently I am over run with fresh produce from my neighbors including Squash, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Cucumbers!

so my 2 cents;

for the Squash (is it summer squash, or the little fat ones? I have both now)

I slice them pretty thick, (prolly 1/4 inch or so..)

drizzle with some Olive Oil, then lightly Salt and Cracked Peppercorns.

Flip.

Repeat.

let it set for 3-5 or 5-10 min and grill em up.

uh, and I do the same w/the Zucchini too

My girl made some Choc.Chip Zucchini muffins tonight (Yum!)

If you've got any butternut squash - try Bier's soup recipe. One of my favoires to date.

Amen! For summer squash Mrs HR slices young squash thin (quarter-inch slices), sautees in butter with mushrooms, onions, and tops with whatever white cheese we have around (everything from mozz to pepperjack) and it is friggin' delicious! The key is to use young squash, not after they have started to harden.

Any simple suggestions for a guy with limited skills in the kitchen ?

Fry some bacon 90% of the way done. Add sliced onion sqaush and garlic.

keep cooking till it is soft enough for your liking. Add a little water as you go to prevent burning. but youre not looking to boil.

any seasonings/spices you want.

Simple Savory Squash; Done.

ETA: try some brown sugar mixed in at very end. yes, it's a southern thing.

Edited by KnightsOfKnee

I grew squash this year. The first one I plucked ripened right before I went away for vacation so i gave it to my neighbor so it didnt go to waste. I have more on the way that should be ready in a few weeks. Any simple suggestions for a guy with limited skills in the kitchen ? Thanks

Give them away to the rest of your neighbors? :wacko: