[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Willie Parker

tazinib1

I just took Fast Willie as my #2 RB in a standard scoring league. I think he is extremely under-valued this year and am not sure his ADP will justify his year end stats (meaning I think he'll be worth MORE than his ADP..confusing I know) I reached alittle for him, as I have the dreaded #1 pick and he would not have made it back to me after almost 2 full rounds. Whats the take on Willie this year?

Edited by tazinib1

Mendenhall hasn't done anything yet, so he's not a concern. Moore is still around to take all the receptions away and some touches. The Pitt. o-line isn't very good, so Parker's going to have to find some holes himself, which he hasn't done that well the last couple of years. I see him as a RB3 with limited upside. I might draft him to fill a bye-week or play at flex, but that's about it.

I've taken Parker as my RB4 in a few leagues but only to use as a bye week replacement guy. His draft stock has risen some over the summer thanks to Mendenhall just not stepping up. He could surprise a little if he remains healthy and Mendenhall continues to struggle but PIT has been trying to get away from using FWP for two years and he is in the final year of his contract but the Steelers have made zero effort to resign him. He'll be off the team in 2010 almost guaranteed.

I've had a couple of PM's asking for my opinion on Parker. My take is very similar to DMD's. I simply don't like him as a fantasy back this year for the following reasons:

1.) The guy has not shown the ability to stay healthy. He has already had two minor injuries in camp.

2.) Mewelde Moore will come in for a majority of 3rd downs.

3.) Parker is not likely to see the bulk of the goal-line work. They drafted Frank Summers, and either he or the undrafted rookie that is turning heads with his short yardarge running, Redman, are going to take the goal-line carries.

4.) Parker is not involved much in the passing game. I've read that the Steelers were working on some more screen packages in camp, but, they look dreadful trying to execute them.

5.) Most importantly, Parker is a free agent after this season, and I'm 95% sure that the Steelers are going to let him go. They have already decided to spend their money elsewhere. The Steelers like to transition guys, so, they are going to give Mendenhall every opportunity to increase his playing time so that they can see whether Mendenhall is their back of the future or if they need to look elsewhere.

Just my 2cents.gif

I think he is a mid RB #3 at best. His injury history has really taken a toll, and I just dont think he has a 2575 carry year in him without breaking down. Add in a very average o-line and a possibly having a "Super Bowl hangover", and I do not see good things this year for him.

5.) Most importantly, Parker is a free agent after this season, and I'm 95% sure that the Steelers are going to let him go. They have already decided to spend their money elsewhere. The Steelers like to transition guys, so, they are going to give Mendenhall every opportunity to increase his playing time so that they can see whether Mendenhall is their back of the future or if they need to look elsewhere.

Just my 2cents.gif

If that's the case, wouldn't it be in PIT's best interest to get as much mileage out of him this year? If he's not the future, then they should get as much out of him this year. Just a thought.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be in PIT's best interest to get as much mileage out of him this year? If he's not the future, then they should get as much out of him this year. Just a thought.

I don't think teams think that way. Knowing that Parker likely wont' be with the team next year, I think they're more likely to find out what they've got as a replacement than trying to run Parker into the ground. If they don't, then they enter next season with no idea if Mendenhall can take over or if they need to spend a high pick on someone else.

I don't think teams think that way. Knowing that Parker likely wont' be with the team next year, I think they're more likely to find out what they've got as a replacement than trying to run Parker into the ground. If they don't, then they enter next season with no idea if Mendenhall can take over or if they need to spend a high pick on someone else.

I don't know, it seems to me they can determine Mendenhall's worth through practice and moderate game reps (5-10 reps per game) throughout the season.

Fast Willie seems like the classic contract year player to me. Throughout his career shows promise but has struggled to stay on the field the entire year due to injuries. He's nearing 30 where many teams may be hesitant to sign him to a big contract. So he goes out and has his best year of his career, gets that big contract, then promptly returns to his old ways, screwing his new team and FF players who think he can do it again.

And yea, I'm someone who waited in one draft to get my 2nd rb and am counting on him to be my #2 rb now. :wacko: He does have an easier schedule this year....

I would be very content with Fast Willie as my #3. He'd be a very ample bye-week filler and injury replacement. I would want more TD upside out of a starter. I also am in the camp that thinks Mendenhall is going to get a big bump in workload this year. They're going to find out what they have before they make a decision on Parker.

Don't get me wrong, winning will be most important to the Steelers, so, if Parker is clearly out-performing Mendenhall, he will continue to be fed the ball. However, the Steelers have a history of transitioning way from players they know are leaving, so, they will give Mendenhall every opportunity to play his way onto the field more. They need to see what the have going into next year. Practice and pre-season doesn't tell you enough of the story. You need to see how performers handle the "real" thing.

All of what I said being true, with RBBC being what it is in the NFL, Parker is still a solid #3 fantasy back to be used as a bye week fill-in or with a great match-up.

There is no good answer to this question. At this point I would think that the Steelers will do everything that they can to get a good look at Mendenhall and short yardage was already something that Parker was not getting. Having said that, everyone that I trust that pays a great deal of attention to the Steelers is not feeling it with Mendenhall. I am not running away from Parker but I am not out trying to draft him. It is going to be a little muddy while sorting this one out.

as far as fantasy goes...the only RB on that team that I think has any value is Moore because of what he can do receiving the ball....

I don't like FWP or Mendenhall, but it appears Moore is the 3rd RB on the depth chart along with being the 3rd down/CoP back which doesn't even warrant drafting imo .....he's nothing more than a waiver wire acquisition after week 3 or something...