[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYG Wide Receivers

tosberg34

Smith is the possesion rec, Hixon to spread the field.

Well, being here in NY, Smith and Hixon will be 1-2. However, the best player in camp has been rookie Ramses Barden. If you are looking for a late round sleeper, pick him up. He could surprise.

Hixon will be the flanker/Z receiver, Smith the split end/X. The Z is normally the featured or "#1" WR, but I don't think it means as much for this year's Giants because they will shuffle guys in and out. I would expect to see Smith in the slot quite a bit with the other guys sharing reps on the outside. I've read that Hixon has been the most reliable and steady WR, but Manningham, Moss and Barden have shown a lot too. I am convinced that Manningham is going to be the one who steps up and steals more and more reps as the season progresses.

This is how I think they will end up:

Hixon: 800/6

Smith: 700/2

Manningham: 450/2

Barden: 150/4

Moss: 150/1

Nicks: 150/1

Boss: 800/8 :wacko:

Nice breakdown, Matt. The only thing I would add is that after seeing them in camp, it looks like Eli is very comfortable going to Smith, borderline man-crush. Didn't hesitate to throw to him in traffic, lots of crossing routes. He wasn't getting the separation you'd like to see to break anything (no true deep threat unless Manningham steps up?), but he caught just about everything and could be a great later round (9-10) pickup as WR3, especially in PPR leagues. He went 10.4 in my main league (12 team, PPR).

I'm looking forward to Barden's progression. He's a monster, and has great hands and looks like an easy runner. Add a little bulk and he'll be another Plax (hopefully w/o the baggage).

Nice breakdown, Matt. The only thing I would add is that after seeing them in camp, it looks like Eli is very comfortable going to Smith, borderline man-crush. Didn't hesitate to throw to him in traffic, lots of crossing routes. He wasn't getting the separation you'd like to see to break anything (no true deep threat unless Manningham steps up?), but he caught just about everything and could be a great later round (9-10) pickup as WR3, especially in PPR leagues. He went 10.4 in my main league (12 team, PPR).

I'm looking forward to Barden's progression. He's a monster, and has great hands and looks like an easy runner. Add a little bulk and he'll be another Plax (hopefully w/o the baggage).

Smith is definitely my favorite receiver because he always seems to come through in the clutch. However, you nailed it, not enough burst to separate and break a long TD run. That's okay though, you need both types of WRs on the team. And in a PPR league, yeah, no-brainer. He's a bye week fill-in otherwise.

I don't expect a whole lot from Barden this year, but I can't wait to see if they insert him in the red zone package and throw him a jump ball or two.

Interesting that there's little love here for Nicks. Having watched the guy in college, I fully expect him to have a successful pro career. Also, given the status of flux of the Giants receiving corps, I thought he might have a better shot of having some success this year.

Interesting that there's little love here for Nicks. Having watched the guy in college, I fully expect him to have a successful pro career. Also, given the status of flux of the Giants receiving corps, I thought he might have a better shot of having some success this year.

Regardless of talent, it takes the vast majority of receivers some time to get used ot the speed of the game and to learn the playbook. Hell, even that Robieski kid who's dad was a NFL receiver and coach is having a hard time adjusting. It just takes some time for them to get it. I do agree though that Nicks is the future of the Giants receiving corps. I envision Nicks #1 Manningham #2 and Smith out of the slot in a couple of years.

I think Smith is going to be Wes Welker lite. He is the guy that Manning will look for on 3rd downs. He, I believe will have the most value in PPR leagues, but I don't see him with many TD's. He'll be solid #3 FF WR who gives you some consistant scoring every week, but isn't likely to have any hugh weeks. Just a nice 3rd WR who will give you those 6 to 12 points every week. (speaking from a 0.5 PPR scoring system).

He was injured early in camp and has had to play catch up. That always hurts a rookie. He's been looking good lately but playing mostly with the 2nd and 3rd team. I agree he'll probably have a great pro career but he's got guys ahead of him on the depth chart, it's a run-first offense, and Giants rookie WRs just never do anything, it's the law.

I even think some of the hype over Barden is overblown, I just project 4 TDs because he's shown great ability to jump and use his size to shake off defenders and come down with the grab. Given that this is Manningham's second year and is grasping the offense really well, they are looking to get him involved to see what he can do. Nicks' time will come though.

I'm pretty much targeting Smith in my PPR's, and Hixon in my non PPR's.

And I don't think I can pull the trigger on either of them before the 10th round (of a 12 teamer) unless some strange WR mega-run goes down in the 8th and 9th.

Nicks had a great second half with the second team last night. Of course, he was playing against the Jets second team D, but 6 for 144 and 2 is nothing to sneeze at.

The Blue Screen

by Ralph Vacchiano

AUGUST 30, 2009 4:12 PMBY RALPH VACCHIANO

Nicks earns "consideration" for bigger role

Hakeem Nicks’ performance last night might not have been enough to vault the rookie into the starting lineup, but it sure did get the coaches’ attention.

In fact, Tom Coughlin said that Nicks’ six-catch, 144-yard performance against the Jets has earned the rookie “prime consideration” for a move up the depth chart. He wouldn’t commit to anything specific, but obviously it’s something he’ll be thinking about the next two weeks.

“Well, he certainly was impressive,” Coughlin said on a conference call with reporters this afternoon. “And he is a guy that obviously is going to make the tough catch, and he really has been doing that. So that (a move up the depth chart) has not been discussed. It certainly puts him in position where he’ll get prime consideration.”

Nicks lit up the Jets’ third-string defense last night, making an impressive 22-yard touchdown grab despite tough coverage by Jets CB Drew Coleman. He also made another 71-yard touchdown catch where he got wide open down the sideline after making the correct adjustment after a veteran-like read of an impending Jets blitz.

Because of plays like that, Coughlin said he’d have no issue giving a bigger role to a rookie receiver, as long as it’s earned.

“Oh, certainly,” he said. “The thing about it that you have to understand is that it’s what’s earned. It’s exactly what’s earned. Obviously last night he played well. He certainly has earned the right to be a factor.”

It didn’t hurt, of course, that Nicks’ performance - - which included six catches on seven balls thrown to him - - came on a night when Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon and Mario Manningham all dropped passes in key spots.

I will add this, Eli threw to Manningham a ton last night. He will be in the mix I believe.

Smith will be solid in PPR, but not have many big plays or TD's IMO.

I think Manningham could be the sleeper here. Remember he was real big in college with Michigan, so the talent is there.

And he is now going into year two.

I think Manningham could be the sleeper here. Remember he was real big in college with Michigan, so the talent is there.

FWIW, Hakeem Nicks broke just about every receiving record at UNC (in 3 years, not 4), but because it's not known as a football school, he got very little attention outside the ACC.

I will add this, Eli threw to Manningham a ton last night. He will be in the mix I believe.

Smith will be solid in PPR, but not have many big plays or TD's IMO.

And he is now going into year two.

Did Manningham really score a 6 on the Wonderlic?

Word out of Giants camp was Nicks caught just about everything thrown his way. If he can handle blitz adjustments as the above article says let their play on the field decide this.

He seems more mature than most rookies.

I agree on Nicks.

I think him and Manningham are the most talented.

Issue with Nicks is he was banged up and is a rookie. That is tough to overcome.

Manningham (may be an idiot) but has a season under his belt.

To me Smith is a good slot/# 3 guy.

Manningham and Nicks have more talent overall.

Did Manningham really score a 6 on the Wonderlic?

Word out of Giants camp was Nicks caught just about everything thrown his way. If he can handle blitz adjustments as the above article says let their play on the field decide this.

He seems more mature than most rookies.

Nicks is exactly the kind of kid who should do well in Coughlin's system: hard working, clean cut, a no nonsense kind of player. It's not very often that I can recommend a sleeper around here, but Nicks if definatly worth a late round flyer.

I agree on Nicks.

I think him and Manningham are the most talented.

Issue with Nicks is he was banged up and is a rookie. That is tough to overcome.

Manningham (may be an idiot) but has a season under his belt.

To me Smith is a good slot/# 3 guy.

Manningham and Nicks have more talent overall.

Not sure an experienced idiot is what they want.

By midseason I think Nicks will be a favorite of Eli's.

Overall I was alarmed by the Giants WR play, no one was getting open and lots of drops. That's two games in a row where they have looked horrible and I have little confidence going into the opener vs. Washington. Yes, Nicks looked great against the scrubs, but if we have to rely on a rookie when the games start to count, I'm worried.

Overall I was alarmed by the Giants WR play, no one was getting open and lots of drops. That's two games in a row where they have looked horrible and I have little confidence going into the opener vs. Washington. Yes, Nicks looked great against the scrubs, but if we have to rely on a rookie when the games start to count, I'm worried.

I agree with this.

Have to be concerned, and in fantasy terms, at least early, I don't see anyone really being starter worthy at WR.

When Eli makes the pass they drop it (see Smith's wide open drop of a bomb and Hixon's drop that got intercepted).

And then there are other times Eli can't make the throw. See Manningham being open long and Eli throwing to the wrong side.

All I am saying is on talent alone Nicks and Mannignham are the best two.

Toss up between those two IMO. Edge to Nicks as the season progresses.

Smith and Hixon are okay, but neither has a chance to be really good in fantasy terms.

Worried about the Giants overall.

Edited by giantsfan