[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Marshall...is the ice thawing?

The Wolf

As per ESPN.com:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall told ESPN's Trey Wingo on Thursday night that he's not trying to force a trade through insubordination but that frustration got the best of him during a disruptive display at practice this week.

Although coach Josh McDaniels wouldn't say why, Marshall apparently was held out of practice Thursday as punishment for his unprofessional conduct at practice a day earlier.

Marshall went on ESPN Thursday night to discuss his actions that were shown on a video from Denver's ABC affiliate.

In the video aired by KMGH-TV from Wednesday's portion of practice that was open to the media, Marshall was shown walking when the rest of the team was running during warmups, insolently punting the ball away instead of handing it to a ball boy and swatting away a pass that was thrown to him.

Marshall said some of the video, which included a shot of him sitting on his pads before practice, was taken out of context. But he acknowledged his frustration boiled over and that it was an error in judgment to act as he did, especially when he punted the ball.

"I think everybody knows there's a lot of stuff built up there, and me handling it that way wasn't good," Marshall said during the ESPN phone interview. "I think if I could do it again I definitely wouldn't punt the ball."

Marshall said he wasn't trying to force his way out of town -- he asked for a trade this summer after the Broncos declined to rework a contract which will pay him $2.2 million this season.

"I'm not out there trying to be a distraction to the team," Marshall said. "Unfortunately, yesterday I kind of let my frustration get the best of me."

Marshall, held out of the Broncos' preseason game at Seattle on Sunday night after admitting he didn't know the playbook and running almost strictly with the scout team last week, said he wants to get ready for another good season in Denver.

During a brief post-practice news conference on Thursday, McDaniels refused to say whether Marshall's absence was health-related -- he has been dealing intermittently with a strained hamstring that sidelined him for most of training camp.

"I'm not going into it," McDaniels said. "If they're not ready or able, they're not out here."

McDaniels was then asked if Marshall was on the premises.

"I don't know where he's at right now. He was in the building this morning," McDaniels replied.

McDaniels appeared to become irritated when, in a follow-up question, he was asked whether he had spoken with Marshall.

"I'm not talking about it," McDaniels retorted. "He's not out here at practice. When he's ready and able to practice, he will practice. That's it."

The Associated Press sought comment from Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, but was told he was out of the country until Monday.

It appears unlikely that Marshall will make his preseason debut in Sunday night's exhibition against the Chicago Bears and former teammate Jay Cutler, who forced a trade out of Denver this winter.

McDaniels held Marshall out against the Seahawks because he said the wide receiver wasn't prepared to take the field in a game. Marshall missed the team's exhibition opener against San Francisco two weeks ago because he was on trial in Atlanta, where he was acquitted of a misdemeanor battery charge, a verdict he had hoped would give him leverage for a new deal in Denver or somewhere else.

Marshall was angered the Broncos had instructed his teammates not to say they were happy for Marshall over his acquittal on charges he beat up his then-girlfriend 18 months ago.

That's when Marshall started spending more and more time with the scout team and hanging out with the defenders instead of his fellow offensive players in between drills.

Marshall has only practiced a handful of times this offseason. A Pro Bowl receiver with 206 receptions the past two seasons, Marshall has sought a new contract and, after the Broncos did not act on his request, asked in June to be traded.

He's unhappy not only with his contract but with what he feels was the team's misdiagnosis of a hip injury that required offseason surgery.

He pulled a hamstring on the first weekend of training camp and didn't return until a week ago.

I wonder if this is how Belicheck got Randy Moss to buy into the NE team concept?

"Hey, Randy, go run patterns for the scout team. And then when you are done with that, come hold pads for other WRs to run their routes through. No, you can't learn the new offense until you come out to midfield, pull down my sweats, and kiss my bare ass in front of everyone."

Edited by Bronco Billy

he's a punk.

Agreed. But he's a punk who has caught over 100 passes in each of the past two seasons. It doesn't seem like McHoody is finding any way to get through to him and get him on the field. In fact, it doesn't look like McHoody even wants to attempt to do anything to get Marshall on the field that doesn't involve complete and utter submission by Marshall.

More & more reason to believe Cutler and why he wanted to get the hell out.

I listened to this conversation last night. Brandon sounded very much like he was be forced to read a statement over and over again from his agent. "I let my emotions get the better of me, and I shouldn't have done that"... over and over.

I think his Jerry Maguire told him that nobody in the NFL is going to give quam to a player who acts like an ass at practice... so a trade was hopeless unless he apologized. I'm not sure this helped.

I wonder if this is how Belicheck got Randy Moss to buy into the NE team concept?

"Hey, Randy, go run patterns for the scout team. And then when you are done with that, come hold pads for other WRs to run their routes through. No, you can't learn the new offense until you come out to midfield, pull down my sweats, and kiss my bare ass in front of everyone."

When you've won superbowls you can demand players do what you want, but most of these ex Pats coaches act like they're Belichick but none have been successful yet.

This is more like how Belichick sent Terry Glenn packing.

There has never been much tolerance for prima donna attitude and conduct in the Belichick locker room. It's tough to pull off with some of the egos that run around pro sports, and ole Bill himself failed during his first try to implement the things that have helped create a winning atmosphere in NE.

I am not surprised that McDaniels is having a bumpy time of it, because players want to shine so that they can get paid. Trying to coerce an egotistical and immature 24 year old that's trying to stand out back to the crowd isn't necessarily an easy task. What I find to be interesting in the article is Marshall basically admitting that he threw a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way.

I think McDaniels will figure it out if he has enough time. He doesn't come across as the smarmy meat whistle that Mangini did when he took over the Jets.

If you listen to what's coming out of Chicago, it sounds like they are having some attitude issues with Jay Cutler over there, and from what I heard that was an issue in Denver as well. In the end, it seems like McDaniels is more concerned with his players having a particular approach and attitude than necessarily having top notch football aptitude. He hasn't had the fortune to trip over Tom Brady in his locker room yet, so I guess we will see where this leads. I kind of like what he's doing, but then that's because I like how similar methods have played out in New England.

Agreed. But he's a punk who has caught over 100 passes in each of the past two seasons. It doesn't seem like McHoody is finding any way to get through to him and get him on the field. In fact, it doesn't look like McHoody even wants to attempt to do anything to get Marshall on the field that doesn't involve complete and utter submission by Marshall.

More & more reason to believe Cutler and why he wanted to get the hell out.

So, what do you want? You want the inmates running the asylum, or you want a football team that's all on the same page?

So, what do you want? You want the inmates running the asylum, or you want a football team that's all on the same page?

I never said that. But these are grown men, and regardless of how they act they have pride. To apparently back the guy into a corner and then give him no way out other than groveling and complete submission in front of the team is going to lead to some guys like Marshall getting extremely frustrated and pissed off. I don't see how McHoody is doing anything to constructively bridge the gap and get Marshall back in the fold, and the humiliation tactics are plainly bush league - something I would expect from an inexperienced Pop Warner coach, not the HC of an NFL team.

McHoody has no business being a HC. I don't know how the hell he sold as sharp a business man as Bowlen on his credibility and capability, but Bowlen has plainly been taken lock, stock, and barrel.

This team will mutiny against this kind of tyrannical behavior as the losses start piling up - any team would. For a guy who preaches sacrifice for the team tpo his players, he sure is a "me-first" ego driven horse's patoot.

I never said that. But these are grown men, and regardless of how they act they have pride. To apparently back the guy into a corner and then give him no way out other than groveling and complete submission in front of the team is going to lead to some guys like Marshall getting extremely frustrated and pissed off. I don't see how McHoody is doing anything to constructively bridge the gap and get Marshall back in the fold, and the humiliation tactics are plainly bush league - something I would expect from an inexperienced Pop Warner coach, not the HC of an NFL team.

McHoody has no business being a HC. I don't know how the hell he sold as sharp a business man as Bowlen on his credibility and capability, but Bowlen has plainly been taken lock, stock, and barrel.

This team will mutiny against this kind of tyrannical behavior as the losses start piling up - any team would. For a guy who preaches sacrifice for the team tpo his players, he sure is a "me-first" ego driven horse's patoot.

I completely disagree with you on this regarding Marshall. It is absolutely not McDaniels job to coddle his pro bowl WR. Especially one who is one mistake away from being suspended for probably an entire season. It is Marshall's job to learn the play book, practice hard and do his best to help the team. If the player isn't willing to do any of that, you claim that he has to be completely subservient and it's McDaniels fault that Marshall acts like a cry baby. Really? This is all Marshall in my mind causing these issues himself. I see nothing wrong with the way McDaniels is handling Marshall. If he's going to act like a scout team player then that's were he needs to be. It's his own fault not McDaniels.

I can see why your bitter about McDaniels and maybe I should be too, but I'm going to try to give the HC a chance.

They both need to humble themselves - its the only way things like this can be truly fixed.

I am crossing my fingers that this allows Marshall to fall far enough to the point where I am willing to take him. I am not sure where that will be - but I will be happy if it happens.

I am crossing my fingers that this allows Marshall to fall far enough to the point where I am willing to take him. I am not sure where that will be - but I will be happy if it happens.

He's still out there in my draft. We are approaching the 10 round.

I completely disagree with you on this regarding Marshall. It is absolutely not McDaniels job to coddle his pro bowl WR. Especially one who is one mistake away from being suspended for probably an entire season. It is Marshall's job to learn the play book, practice hard and do his best to help the team. If the player isn't willing to do any of that, you claim that he has to be completely subservient and it's McDaniels fault that Marshall acts like a cry baby. Really? This is all Marshall in my mind causing these issues himself. I see nothing wrong with the way McDaniels is handling Marshall. If he's going to act like a scout team player then that's were he needs to be. It's his own fault not McDaniels.

I can see why your bitter about McDaniels and maybe I should be too, but I'm going to try to give the HC a chance.

Okay, I'm going to try this one more time and see if people can understand it. I agree that Marshall is behaving poorly. I agree that he is being childish. I agree that Marshall should be getting on the field and doing his job to the best of his ability. Have I made myself clear enough this time regarding Marshall's responsibilities in this fiasco?

Now, that said, if a HC has a WR who has consecutive 100+ catch seasons, he has an obligation to get the guy on the field and involved in the first team offense - not having him sit on the sideline as punishment, not holding blocking pads for other WRs to run through, and not running plays on the scout team. The HC needs to find a way to get through to Marshall other than holding an iron fist and putting him in humiliating situations at every turn. The HC needs to find a way to get through to Marshall and get him running with the first team as much as possible to get him up to speed. If the HC needs to, he has to stay after practice with the player and get him familiar with the new system. He owes it not only to the player to give him a way out and salvage some kind of dignity, put also owes it to the team to get Marshall on the field, and he owes it to the fans to get Marshall on the field.

You all have heard me call out players who think they are bigger than the team - and you know I can't stand them and their behavior. But this is different. McHoody has placed Marshall in a box and won't let him out. That's his perrogative - he's the HC. But it's also the fans' perrogtaive to call him out on it if he is so stubborn and unbending that he refuses to budge in the least to allow the player to find a way back to being productive.

I know none of you would take this kind of humiliation from a boss - you'd walk, and rightfully so. Marshall has signed a contract that won't let him walk, so he's being petulant and childish. But McHoody has to give something, even a little bit, to give Marshall an ability to backtrack and get on the field. That's part of his job description - find a way to get the best players on the field and utilize them. Find a way to get into Marshall's head and buy in. Find a way to allow Marshall even a sliver of manhood to remain so that he can come back and start taking reps with the first team.

I don't see one iota of compromise at all from the HC. If that's what DEN ownership and fans want from their HC, that's fine. But be prepared to lose a lot of games in the next few years.

You are contradicting yourself IMO. If they are grown men, then they should act like it. If they are professionals then they should act like it. Seems to me that McDaniels is asking them to do that, and that certain players are refusing. And McDaniels is saying right back: "I don;t care who you are or how good you are. Act like a man and a professional or sit over there". And for my part I applaud him for it. It's not his job to give Marshall an "in". His in is his 2.2 million dollars he's getting paid and acting like a man and a professional.

Marshall isn't just showing disrespect for McDaniels, he's showing it for the Broncos organization, the Broncos fans, the NFL, and probably most importantly he is grossly disrespecting his team-mates disrupting practice and making everything about him instead of about winning football games.

Belichick had to do the same thing, and he got ripped for it plenty before he had won his first SB.

McDaniel **HAS** to be part of the problem as Shanny was able co-exist with Cutler and Marshall and be successful. I don't kid myself in thinking its all him or even mostly him, but different people need to be dealt with differently. That's why this is a pride issue.

oh, and Taz.... pull the trigger!

You are contradicting yourself IMO. If they are grown men, then they should act like it. If they are professionals then they should act like it. Seems to me that McDaniels is asking them to do that, and that certain players are refusing. And McDaniels is saying right back: "I don;t care who you are or how good you are. Act like a man and a professional or sit over there". And for my part I applaud him for it. It's not his job to give Marshall an "in". His in is his 2.2 million dollars he's getting paid and acting like a man and a professional.

Let me ask you this: If someone is the best accountant or engineer in a company, or whatever professional they are, and then they express displeasure at the new boss because he is heavy handed - and the professional is already unhappy because he thinks he is being underpaid, and as a response this new boss takes the best professional in the company and tells them to go clean the bathrooms, and then after that to move a bunch of file cabinets, and then dust and vacuum the office in front of everyone, and even moreso that there is no way that the professional can return to his duties as a professional until he has performed all these menial tasks in full view of everyone - how exactly would you expect this professional to respond?

If McHoody wants his players to act like men, then he needs to treat them like men. I don't see any evidence of that.

if you want a really good engineer - you likely need to deal with somebody who is a bit neurotic...

if you want a really good wide - you likely need to deal with somebody who is a bit of a primadona...

you want a dog - you'll need to deal with some barking

Okay, I'm going to try this one more time and see if people can understand it. I agree that Marshall is behaving poorly. I agree that he is being childish. I agree that Marshall should be getting on the field and doing his job to the best of his ability. Have I made myself clear enough this time regarding Marshall's responsibilities in this fiasco?

Now, that said, if a HC has a WR who has consecutive 100+ catch seasons, he has an obligation to get the guy on the field and involved in the first team offense - not having him sit on the sideline as punishment, not holding blocking pads for other WRs to run through, and not running plays on the scout team. The HC needs to find a way to get through to Marshall other than holding an iron fist and putting him in humiliating situations at every turn. The HC needs to find a way to get through to Marshall and get him running with the first team as much as possible to get him up to speed. If the HC needs to, he has to stay after practice with the player and get him familiar with the new system. He owes it not only to the player to give him a way out and salvage some kind of dignity, put also owes it to the team to get Marshall on the field, and he owes it to the fans to get Marshall on the field.

Again, I disagree. It is no ones job but Marshall's to learn the playbook. The end. McDaniels doesn't owe Marshall anything. It sounds like McDaniels is not trying to talk about it to the media and is not forcing Marshall into any corner. Marshall is putting himself in a corner by not caring, not knowing the playbook, not even trying in practice, he's basically done nothing to deserve to run with the first team. McDaniels absolutely should not put him with the first team if he consistently shows that he doesn't care and isn't willing to work to run with the first team. This is all on Marshall, period.

Again, I have no problem with the way McDaniels is handling Marshall. As a fan, I want a team of players that actually know the playbook and work hard to be a good pro. Marshall right now is not one of them. I would hate to see McDaniels put Marshall on the first team just because. That makes no sense what so ever. As a matter of fact, it would be an embarrassment watching Marshall make a fool of himself on the field because he doesn't know the playbook. This is all on Marshall's shoulders.

if you want a really good engineer - you likely need to deal with somebody who is a bit neurotic...

if you want a really good wide - you likely need to deal with somebody who is a bit of a primadona...

you want a dog - you'll need to deal with some barking

:wacko:

Let me ask you this: If someone is the best accountant or engineer in a company, or whatever professional they are, and then they express displeasure at the new boss because he is heavy handed - and the professional is already unhappy because he thinks he is being underpaid, and as a response this new boss takes the best professional in the company and tells them to go clean the bathrooms, and then after that to move a bunch of file cabinets, and then dust and vacuum the office in front of everyone, and even moreso that there is no way that the professional can return to his duties as a professional until he has performed all these menial tasks in full view of everyone - how exactly would you expect this professional to respond?

If McHoody wants his players to act like men, then he needs to treat them like men. I don't see any evidence of that.

Yeah...except that all he has asked Marshall to do is:

1) Learn the playbook

2) Practice hard with the rest of the team

3) Shut up and don't be a distraction.

Your analogy isn't useful, because if all the accountant or engineer was asked to do was:

1) Do their job

2) follow the company procedures

3) don't complain about it because that's what we pay you to do

then I would have no sympathy for the guy if things didn't work out for him at XYZ company.

Again, he's not asking Marshall to do anything but play football and act like a man. He didn't ask for a public apology. He just wants the guy to show up and do his job as well as he can.

Quite frankly I am not surprised that Marshall didn't get the contract he was whining for. His attitude clearly shows that he might not be the best addition to any team looking to have a team first, winning attitude.