[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beenie Wells

mlvc

similarities are there

Can he stay healthy??

AP had the exact same Question mark entering his rookie season.

a history of injury but in the pros AP has only missed a couple games due to a knee sprain as a rookie

everyone laughed at me 2 years ago, in my leagues couch draft, when I picked AP in like round 8 and they all said that He is always hurt and that Chester Taylor WAS the starter, AP was just a Rookie who wouldn't play much.

I did the same with Beenie Wells

I picked him in round 7 couch draft and everyone said he's always hurt and Hightower is ahead of him and AZ doesn't run much.

I think a great back like him, if healthy, could have a great season with teams not able to focus on the run because of warner fitz and Bouldin.

how does everyone else feel about Beenie wells??

I think he is on the short list for the steal of fantasy drafts. If healthy, 1200/10 is very possible. He doesn't have near AP's explosiveness, but still is more explosive than most people think. Round 7 is an absolute steal.

He is a good steal that late.

He has the potential, but has the injury past. He even got dinged up in Camp and missed weeks.

Time will tell. His performance of 20 and 2 yard TD's last night were decent. Hightower has been starting and done fairly well too.

IMO I think Wells is going to be another Rashaan Salaam or Curtis Enis.

similarities are there

Can he stay healthy??

a history of injury but in the pros AP has only missed a couple games due to a knee sprain as a rookie

everyone laughed at me 2 years ago, in my leagues couch draft, when I picked AP in like round 8 and they all said that He is always hurt and that Chester Taylor WAS the starter, AP was just a Rookie who wouldn't play much.

I picked him in round 7 couch draft and everyone said he's always hurt and Hightower is ahead of him and AZ doesn't run much.

I think a great back like him, if healthy, could have a great season with teams not able to focus on the run because of warner fitz and Bouldin.

Uh, no he didn't.

AP had one serious injury and a high ankle sprain that kept him out of some games, but one where he tried to play in spite of it.

Beanie Wells stayed out of games with small injuries most would play through but he wouldn't. In football you need to play through minor injuries.

He seems to want to play only when completely healthy and that's rare with NFL players.

Is he willing to play through small injuries now that he's in the NFL? Time will tell.

Beanie Wells stayed out of games with small injuries most would play through but he wouldn't. In football you need to play through minor injuries.

But Wells was the #1 back on many draft boards and the bruiser from Ohio State could have been a very early pick had he not been tagged as injury-prone. The reality there is that he was often banged up while at OSU but he only missed three games in three years since he is tough and willing to play while injured.

DMD's take.

But Wells was the #1 back on many draft boards and the bruiser from Ohio State could have been a very early pick had he not been tagged as injury-prone. The reality there is that he was often banged up while at OSU but he only missed three games in three years since he is tough and willing to play while injured.

DMD's take.

We'll see. I often disagree with Mr. Dorey.

I only responded to him having the same injury history as Adrian Peterson. That's going too far in my opinion.

I never saw him #1 on any boards, but he was just behind Moreno.

they weren't major injures IIRC. He played with pain

I do remember that he had a high ankle sprain that kept him out of the USC game last year.

Edited by loaf

Regarded by many as the most powerful tailback in college football, that title came with a hefty price for Wells during his three years at Ohio State. Even though he suffered from a rash of injuries - a left ankle sprain, a right wrist sprain and a thumb fracture in 2007; a right foot sprain, turf toe, a hamstring strain and a concussion in 2008 - he only missed three games while compiling enough rushing yardage to rank fourth on the school career record list.

...As a sophomore, Wells took over the tailback position, starting all 13 games despite battling a nagging ankle sprain all campaign. He was also hampered by a late-season fractured bone near his thumb that would require surgery after the season. ...

...Hoping to become more mobile, Wells shed more than 10 pounds from his frame before the 2008 season opener, but was limited in his off-season training program and missed the bulk of spring drills while recovering from thumb surgery. In the season opener vs. Youngstown State, he was carted off the field with a right foot sprain (also suffered from turf toe) and would miss OSU's next three contests...

....Later in the season, Wells had a hamstring issue to deal with and later missed a portion of the Fiesta Bowl with a concussion. He still led the team in rushing with 207 attempts for 1,197 yards (5.8 avg) and eight touchdowns, as his average of 119.7 yards per game ranked sixth among the nation's running backs.....

That is from Draft Scouts who are pretty good

I think it is unfair to say he won't play when injured when he obviously has. Seems like it would be harder to find a time when he wasn't playing when injured. The only games he missed was after he was carted from the field with a bad ankle and he already had turf toe. How much tougher do you want?

It is fair to say he was often injured to be sure. But to suggest he was not playing unless he was 100%? Not sure where that comes from.

similarities are there

Can he stay healthy??

I love these kinds of threads. If you drafted AD in the 8th round 2 yrs ago, then you either play in a 6 team league or the guys you play with suck. AD's ADP 2 yrs ago was 47, meaning he was going late in the 4th round on average. YOU shouldn't have let him fall nearly that far, much less the entire league.

There were also a lot of people prior to the NFL draft comparing AD favorably to some of the top RBs in NFL history - mostly E Smith, and rightfully so. The only reason he dropped as far as the fourth round was because of the presence of Taylor, which lead to people thinking he'd share a significant portion of the load.

I don't remember a single person questioning AD's toughness or tolerance to pain - some slight questions about injury, yes, but not his ability to play while tweaked. Not once. Wells on the other hand does not bring up memories of some of the best RBs in the NFL, and not only has his injury history been questioned, but his mental toughness and pain tolerance as well, and he's shown so far in his very very short time as a pro that those are reasonable concerns. To put a little perspective on it, Wells' own HC in college questioned his ability to play in pain and his toughness.

That you're getting Wells in the 7th round this year is about right. There are a lot more question marks about him, and he isn't remotely in AD's league. IF he manages to get the majority of the carries rather than splitting with Hightower on an O that doesn't figure to be one of the top rushing teams in the NFL, AND IF he can manage to stay on the field rather than on the bench nursing a tweaked mangina or some other phantom injury, then he COULD make for a decent RB2.

IF...

BB, not only told you once but he told you twice. Now you better have gotten it through your head!!

Edited by irish

In my experience, when the term "mangina" is used it is a sign that no one is changing their beliefs. I wonder where that word started? It always makes me laugh.

In my experience, when the term "mangina" is used it is a sign that no one is changing their beliefs. I wonder where that word started? It always makes me laugh.

Don't know where "Mangina" started, but for the past couple of years that phrase has been spoken often among Jets fans. Now Browns fans are starting to use it. Repeatedly.

Outside of Wells injury hstory, i'm more cncerned with how much he will be involved in the passing game. I only play in PPR leagues so even though guys like Turner, AP and Jacobs are beasts in real life....they are typically over rated and drafted too high in PPR leagues. Now that Wells is back on the radar, I'm sure he will now be getting drafted to high. Although if he's there in the 6th, 7th or 8th round he would be a solid RB3.

I'm pretty sure it started with Colt Mccoy.

I've also made the Peterson/Wells comparisons given their size, speed, and injury history. But one major difference is that Peterson entered the league running behind a very good run-blocking offensive line; Wells will not have anything resembling that luxury. That should not only affect rookie-year projections for Wells, but also potential for injury based on how many straight-on collisions and hits from 300-plus pound linemen he takes, as opposed to getting outside and getting knocked out of bounds (rather than being gang-tackled and thrown to the ground) or being hit by 250-pound linebackers and 225-pound safeties (rather than the much bigger DTs).

2V

I'm always ready to be proved wrong. But the burden is greater to me than some other rookie RBs, and he's going to have to show me something in the regular season for me to be a believer. That means two things: 1) He'll go in drafts before I'm willing to take the risk on him with other options on the board, and 2) my opinion doesn't mean a damned thing to Wells or others who have a much higher opinion of him.

I've also made the Peterson/Wells comparisons given their size, speed, and injury history. But one major difference is that Peterson entered the league running behind a very good run-blocking offensive line; Wells will not have anything resembling that luxury. That should not only affect rookie-year projections for Wells, but also potential for injury based on how many straight-on collisions and hits from 300-plus pound linemen he takes, as opposed to getting outside and getting knocked out of bounds (rather than being gang-tackled and thrown to the ground) or being hit by 250-pound linebackers and 225-pound safeties (rather than the much bigger DTs).

2V

Oh he'll get out of bounds alright. Thats another knock I have against Weanie. His very well documented tendency to avoid contact for extra yardage.

I love these kinds of threads. If you drafted AD in the 8th round 2 yrs ago, then you either play in a 6 team league or the guys you play with suck. AD's ADP 2 yrs ago was 47, meaning he was going late in the 4th round on average. YOU shouldn't have let him fall nearly that far, much less the entire league.

There were also a lot of people prior to the NFL draft comparing AD favorably to some of the top RBs in NFL history - mostly E Smith, and rightfully so. The only reason he dropped as far as the fourth round was because of the presence of Taylor, which lead to people thinking he'd share a significant portion of the load.

I don't remember a single person questioning AD's toughness or tolerance to pain - some slight questions about injury, yes, but not his ability to play while tweaked. Not once. Wells on the other hand does not bring up memories of some of the best RBs in the NFL, and not only has his injury history been questioned, but his mental toughness and pain tolerance as well, and he's shown so far in his very very short time as a pro that those are reasonable concerns. To put a little perspective on it, Wells' own HC in college questioned his ability to play in pain and his toughness.

That you're getting Wells in the 7th round this year is about right. There are a lot more question marks about him, and he isn't remotely in AD's league. IF he manages to get the majority of the carries rather than splitting with Hightower on an O that doesn't figure to be one of the top rushing teams in the NFL, AND IF he can manage to stay on the field rather than on the bench nursing a tweaked mangina or some other phantom injury, then he COULD make for a decent RB2.

IF...

not really a fair comment BB

The guys I play with do not suck

ADP is only the AVERAGE.

In my league the guys were not big on drafting Rookies at all .RBBC was still a new thing happening more and more.

2 years ago was about the time when drafting RB RB rounds 1 & 2 was questioned.

now since APs rookie season Everyone in my league pays more attention to the rookie class.

and after last season with Forte Slaton CJ they really pay more attention.

don't forget the until recently a lot of teams didn't go RBBC so a Vetran RB got a bulk of carries and Rookies unless drafted top 10 like Edgerin James usually sat and waited for their shot. now with RBBC more and more common so a mid to late rd draft pick can see significant work.