[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surprises from my local draft tonight

Grits and Shins

Two new owners this year ... one of them showed

BIGGEST SURPRISE - Peyton Manning at 4.05. What was surprising about this pick was that this owner had drafted Tom Brady with his 3.08 pick! He said he was drafting best value!

Other surprises (much milder)

~ Forte drafted 3rd overall ... before LT and Turner

~ SJax drafted 5th overall ... before Turner

~ Fitz drafted 6th overall ... before Turner

~ DeAngelo at 8th overall

~ Drew Brees at 2.01

~ Vincent Jackson at 3.09

~ Coles lasted until the 8th round

There were some other head scratchers ... but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Other interesting things to note ... the top of the draft was not dominated by RBs as is usually the case (RBBC), after the first 10 or so were off the board the other positions were raided. QB run started earlier than normal too.

Not sure what your scoring rules are but not sure how these are surprises. Looks like a blue print ADP.

BIGGEST SURPRISE - Peyton Manning at 4.05. What was surprising about this pick was that this owner had drafted Tom Brady with his 3.08 pick! He said he was drafting best value!

~ Drew Brees at 2.01

There were some other head scratchers ... but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Other interesting things to note ... the top of the draft was not dominated by RBs as is usually the case (RBBC), after the first 10 or so were off the board the other positions were raided. QB run started earlier than normal too.

I think if owners let me get Brady at 3.08 and manning in the 4th id be scratching my head and asking if the "regulars' wanted to double the entry fee! Do you guys get 1 point per passing TD or what...wow

Edited by Big John

I don't like having Manning and Brady on the same team since you are in a pickle to see who to start every week, but it's good injury insurance tho they have only missed 0 and 15 games in the last 10 years.

But it would be nice to keep-away from those owners who will be starting Big Ben or so. Or good trade bait which is a good reason to pick him, he was the best player at that time.

How many teams?

We had one owner in our league draft Joseph Addai with the 2.08 pick!

Another team picked Peyton Manning with his 1.12 pick (Brady and Rodgers were still on the board)!

That was great for me 'causes I was able to snag Brady with the next pick!

Big QB run early in ours, too...Brees drafted 3rd overall (6 pt pass TD) I got stuck with Schaub and Hasselbeck. And Vincent Jackson went real early, too.

If they stay healthy Schaub and Hasselbeck could be very good. Hasselbeck looks good so far.

I don't like having Manning and Brady on the same team since you are in a pickle to see who to start every week, but it's good injury insurance tho they have only missed 0 and 15 games in the last 10 years.

But it would be nice to keep-away from those owners who will be starting Big Ben or so. Or good trade bait which is a good reason to pick him, he was the best player at that time.

How many teams?

I call that a waste of a pick. No need to have those two QB's on a roster unless it it a start 2 QB league (and that would never happen anyway). If the owners in this league are savvy, they'll pick one of the two up at a deep discount - or force that owner to keep them both.

Forte went 2nd overall last night and LT fell to 9. I was sitting at 10 hoping he fall one more. Very strange draft last night. I was able to grab R Bush in the 4th round and was very happy as my rb3/flex player. I was also able to get R Moss in the second.

I call that a waste of a pick. No need to have those two QB's on a roster unless it it a start 2 QB league (and that would never happen anyway). If the owners in this league are savvy, they'll pick one of the two up at a deep discount - or force that owner to keep them both.

I agree, it is a wasted pick, they both can't play at the same time so you need to unload one and when other teams sees you need to unload one they won't give top dollar unless say another team drafted equally poor like 4 RBs in a row and he needs to unload some too.

This guy has so many needs at 4th pick(since he only has 2 out of 6 needed non-QB players).

The trades likely won't be that great the guys already passed on him in the third round so they likely won't want to giuve up a 3rd round pick for him anyway which is waht you want.

Edited by rai

Many similar trends to my draft last night. I drafted in the cellar in my 10-man local and got LT and AJax. Got Rodgers at the end of the 5th round. Also got Coles in the 9th round.

:wacko:

AJax? Who is that? SJax, perhaps? AJ (Andre Johnson)?

~ Drew Brees at 2.01

I am sure I will get crap for saying this but how is this post really different from the rate my teams post that Grits rips on people for posting?? It does not really tell us much - how many teams, what is the scoring, what are the lineup requirements. I just think it is a bit hypocritical to rip on othe people when they are posting topics that they believe are important enough to post and then Grits posts a similar type topic but for him it is informational???

By the way I give his league a 3.235432 :wacko:

Someone has subscribed to site that heavily promotes VBD, and he has done his homework on how to value players but has forgotten to do some homework on how to build a FF team and draft strategies.

It's been my experience that some time during the year another team will reward him for the boner he pulled in the draft and trade him a stud RB or WR for one of his QBs. In the meantime most if not all of the other teams ought to be stronger than his and he'll suffer - and maybe learn.

Not a single surpise in that bunch.

~ Drew Brees at 2.01

Mild suprises. But some owners reach when they want to acquire players they really like. The Brees owner knew he wouldn't last until the next turn - should have traded down a bit if he could. The Jackson owner? Must really like his chances this year, or WRs were flying off the board before his pick and he panicked a bit.

Again, people are reading FF sites and buying into some alternative strategies to the stud RB theory. That and the depth of RB this year have lead to different feasible strategies. If you did your homework, your should have expected this and used it against your leaguemates.

~ Drew Brees at 2.01

As Bushwacked said, none of those are surprises or headscratchers. Yeah VJax went a little early and Coles a little bit later but that's how it's been going.

You want surprises from a local draft? I had the 4th pick in a draft last night and these were my first 3 rounds-

1- MJD

2- Tomlinson

3- Westbrook

Here are some other shockers-

- McFadden went in the 8th

- Donnie Avery went in the 14th

- Walter and Driver went in the 13th after Kenny Britt

- Greg Olsen in the 11th.

- John Carlson in the 14th

- A. Rodgers went in the 1st (1.09)

- Slaton fell to the 3rd.

- Kevin Smith fell into the 7th

- Fasano and Boss were both drafted in the 6th round right after Gates and ahead of Dallas Clark

- Lendale White was almost taken in the 3rd over Portis who the guy ended up taking

- TJ Duckett almost got drafted in the 8th round

- Name dropping was going on like crazy

- Some of the same players were drafted about 20 times because most were to drunk to keep track

But a fun night was had by all. We finally locked the Baseball Fieldhouse up and left at about 3 AM.

- Some of the same players were drafted about 20 times because most were to drunk to keep track

But a fun night was had by all. We finally locked the Baseball Fieldhouse up and left at about 3 AM.

Friends don't let Friends draft drunk. You should be ashamed!! :wacko:

Friends don't let Friends draft drunk. You should be ashamed!! :D

:wacko: Why do you think we left so late. Other than a great time, everyone finished off the last hour+ drinking my pepsi instead of beer. :D What can I say but I'm the life of the party!