[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Old

whomper

In redraft leagues do any of you ever fall into the habit of reaching for old glory rather than young upside ? I think I do. I usually get younger as the draft goes on but my early rounds are usually the older guys. Some of which may have their best years behind them

I had a 14 team redraft tonight. It was on cbs and me and my partner were taking abuse in the chatroom :wacko: Our team was great in 2005 type of stuff. I had 7 over all

1. LT

2. Westbrook

3. T.O

4 . Palmer

If these guys stay healthy I really think there is gas in the tank. Palmer is the guy I would be least excited about but qbs went quick. Grabbed Knowshown and sproles later .

Do you tend to go old, maybe too old sometimes , or new blood upside ?

Edited by whomper

I find that I consistently do the same thing. I think I was drafting Fred Taylor for several years past his prime.

In my 10 team redraft, my first picks were Tomlinson at 7 and Moss at 14 and I immediately thought the same thing as the guy above here about 2005.

It's hard to let 'em go sometimes isn't it.

Taken as a general statement, most people will overvalue what the new guy will do and undervalue what the old guy does. There are enough exceptions to make it hardly a rule, but particularly when you are talking about WR.

Taken as a general statement, most people will overvalue what the new guy will do and undervalue what the old guy does. There are enough exceptions to make it hardly a rule, but particularly when you are talking about WR.

I think Bill Walsh and Ron Wolf are both on record with variations of "it's better to give up on a guy a year too early than a year too late."

I believe they knew a little something about football, so I follow their advice. :wacko:

I'll take a chance on a talented young RB over the veteran.

WR's are vice versa - I'll take the proven veteran before the rook or 2nd year guy...

QB's are usually a non issue. The elites go way early and a nice gem is always sitting the middle rounds.

I think it better to go younger on RBs and Older for WRs. Guys like Chris Johnson, AP, Felix Jones who haven't reached their potential are more valuable to me than LT, Westbrook, and Portis who you never knwo when they are going to fall off the fantasy planet. WRs is just the opposite. I'll Take both Randy and Santan Moss, Mason, Welker and Driver over Crabtree, DeSeean Jackson, Percy Harvis, or any of those guys who havn't learned how to play WR yet. in the NFL.

My best friend and I used to share a team and the draft was the hardest thing for us to ever agree on. He would want to draft Rod Smith every year, we are talking about 4 years ago long after he did anything even close to decent. If he drafted today it would look like this:

Farve

LT

Larry Johnson

TO

Driver

Ward

Stokley (Got to have the token old white WR :D)

Bubba Franks

Elam

Me on the other hand, I like to take chances on the younger guys earlier on and grab some "experience" mid and later on and then end young again.

Remember the 10 spot Chris :D we are dangerous there my friend :wacko:

There are so many "old" WRs that are great picks in PPR leagues especially

Muhsin Muhammed

Donald Driver

Hines Ward

Derek Mason

hell, I even like Joey Galloway's prospects this year as a FF WR #4 if Brady stays healthy

I'm happy to grab those guys in the late middle rounds, because you can feel pretty good about plugging them in and knowing they are going to produce for you and you got good value at your draft slot

Palmer old? I don't think QB's really fall into that catagory. Elway, Moreno, Farve, Montana etc really hit their prime in their late 30's. Hell, Elway looked his best at age 38 and probably could have been strong for another 3 or 3 years but I'm also glad he retired when he did. Go out with a blaze of glory!

Palmer was more of a "Can he capture old glory pick" more than his age. He also has injury mileage. But you are right based strictly on his age he is off topic