[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this trade vetoable?

robert terni

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As is said almost every time someone asks the question as to whether a trade should be vetoed, the answer is in the following question. Can you prove collusion or other cheating? The answer to your veto question is the same answer as the collusion question. Yes to collusion, yes to veto. No to collusion, no to veto.

You do not veto trades that are questionable or of dubious value to you, you are not running that team. Period.

Don't Veto. Trade has to be hands down shady to overturn. Everyone's opinion is different on what a player is worth regardless of what a website or magazine says which is basically last years stats with a little future insight mixed in. In one of my leagues, all trades have to be accompanied by a brief description on why the trade will benefit each persons team. That rule was the result of a "questionable" trade a couple of years ago in which a team that was completely out of contention, around week 9 I think, made what appeared to be a questionable trade. On top of that, the 2 players involved in the trade in that league also traded in another league shortly after with the other team getting what seemed to be an upper hand on the trade. There are very few situations where I would consider vetoing a trade, but this is definately not one of them.

Just to settle this once and for all...

Sir Bedevere: There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.

Peasant 1: Are there? Oh well, tell us.

Sir Bedevere: Tell me. What do you do with witches?

Peasant 1: Burn them.

Sir Bedevere: And what do you burn, apart from witches?

Peasant 1: More witches.

Peasant 2: Wood.

Sir Bedevere: Good. Now, why do witches burn?

Peasant 3: ...because they're made of... wood?

Sir Bedevere: Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?

Peasant 1: Build a bridge out of her.

Sir Bedevere: But can you not also build bridges out of stone?

Peasant 1: Oh yeah.

Sir Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?

Peasant 1: No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw her into the pond!

Sir Bedevere: No, no. What else floats in water?

Peasant 1: Bread.

Peasant 2: Apples.

Peasant 3: Very small rocks.

Peasant 1: Cider.

Peasant 2: Gravy.

Peasant 3: Cherries.

Peasant 1: Mud.

Peasant 2: Churches.

Peasant 3: Lead! Lead!

King Arthur: A Duck.

Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...

Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.

Sir Bedevere: And therefore...

Peasant 2: ...A witch!

This is what we have in our rules (The bottom of the narrative addresses this situation):

"Here is an excerpt from an article on vetoing trades. MUFFL will utilize the principles contained in the article as a guide in this area. Note that references are from the 2000 season.

“I got a call from a guy named Nelson who was distressed because his commissioner had overruled his trade. Many leagues have rules that allow the commissioner or other owners to veto trades that appear to be one sided. In some cases, even if it’s not explicitly mentioned in the rules, a bold commissioner, flush with power, will veto a trade.

In Nelson’s case, he received a phone call from the team with Edgerrin James. The other team was desperate after starting the season 0-2, and didn’t relish the idea of losing James to the bye week and going 0-3. So, he offered James and Jake Plummer for Brad Johnson and Robert Smith. Of course, Nelson accepted the offer.

Upon hearing about the trade, Nelson’s league went into a frenzy. They felt that the trade was so one-sided that the integrity of the league was compromised. The other owners demanded that the commissioner revoke the trade, and the commissioner complied.

While the trade is certainly in Nelson’s favor, I have a serious problem with this commissioner. In fact, if he were in my office now, I would verbally berate him to the point that my voice would reach octaves normally associated with dog whistles.

The commissioner should have recognized jealousy when he heard it. Most likely, at the heart of the other teams’ bitching was that they didn’t get the trade offer themselves. Lets say that Nelson hadn’t gotten the trade offer, but a different owner had. Would the other owner have declined, citing the need to maintain league balance? Ha! Of course not.

As if that’s not reason enough to allow the trade to go through, the commissioner may well have sent James’ team to an 0-3 record (thanks to James’ bye), thus negating the wishes of that owner, who was trying to maintain a competitive record.

And lastly, is any commissioner so clairvoyant that he knows—with absolute certainty—that the trade will wind up being as one-sided as it appears when the trade is made? Of course not. Who made him sooooo smart that his idea of James’ future is better than the guy that is trading him? There are future injuries, luck, and myriad unforeseen events that shape every trade.

There are only three instances in which a commissioner should veto a trade:

1. Collusion: If there is substantial proof that the teams involved in a lopsided trade have agreed to work together, the trade should be blocked.

2. Rookies: When a veteran fantasy footballer makes a lopsided trade with a first-year fantasy footballer, it’s okay to veto the trade. However, having said that, the better commissioner will be more diplomatic, and ask the newbie to reconsider the trade, and explain why.

3. Injuries: Any time a team trades an injured player, the injury should be disclosed. If the team receiving the injured player doesn’t know about the injury, it’s within a commissioner’s powers to veto the trade.

Other than those three instances, trades should not be overturned - even the ‘bad’ ones.”

There are only three instances in which a commissioner should veto a trade:

1. Collusion: If there is substantial proof that the teams involved in a lopsided trade have agreed to work together, the trade should be blocked.

2. Rookies: When a veteran fantasy footballer makes a lopsided trade with a first-year fantasy footballer, it’s okay to veto the trade. However, having said that, the better commissioner will be more diplomatic, and ask the newbie to reconsider the trade, and explain why.

3. Injuries: Any time a team trades an injured player, the injury should be disclosed. If the team receiving the injured player doesn’t know about the injury, it’s within a commissioner’s powers to veto the trade.

Other than those three instances, trades should not be overturned - even the ‘bad’ ones.”

I dont like #2 rule, if the person is that ignorant or dumb then they shouldnt be doing this because it takes away fun from the other 11 players. #1 is the only thing in my league, when I do see a lopsided trade I investigate and make sure they are both aware of the trade being lopsided and if no collusion is determined the traded passes 100%.

I dont like #2 rule, if the person is that ignorant or dumb then they shouldnt be doing this because it takes away fun from the other 11 players. #1 is the only thing in my league, when I do see a lopsided trade I investigate and make sure they are both aware of the trade being lopsided and if no collusion is determined the traded passes 100%.

+1.

So maybe the guy who traded Gates needed a WR3 and didn't have squat. Nothing wrong with having Driver as a WR3, plus the fact that he has a TE coming into the league with hugh upside. I don't think this is a bad trade at all. Of course I don't know your roster/lineup requirements, but that shouldn't even matter. Don't veto the trade or you'll have every uneven trade coming back to haunt you further into the season. Do you really want that? Trust me, it's not fun at all.