[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Ray Rice a low end #1 now

imgonnawin

Willis McGahee - RB, Baltimore Ravens

CBSSports.com reports Baltimore Ravens RB Ray Rice will take carries away from RB Willis McGahee and FB Le'Ron McClain, including in the red zone. Rice will also be heavily used out of the backfield for screen passes.

THE HUDDLE'S TAKE: We knew Rice would catch a lot of screen passes, but this development raises Rice's Fantasy stock even higher, while obviously lowering those of McGahee and McClain significantly. Think of Rice as a solid No. 2 Fantasy back, and maybe even a lower-end No. 1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now there is a difference between red zone and goal line but if he gets 250 carries this year in addition to any receptions he could easily be a viable low end #1 option.

Only difference would be with the goal line carries that might give him potential double digit TD's.

Willis McGahee has had 4 of the 6 attempts BAL has had inside the 5 this preseason, with Rice and McClain each getting one.

Look at it this way, Rice is either going to be a bargain or a reach if you get him in the late 2nd or early 3rd. He's solid value in the 4th.

Look at it this way, Rice is either going to be a bargain or a reach if you get him in the late 2nd or early 3rd. He's solid value in the 4th.

So I should have taken him at 4.01 instead of 3.12? :wacko:

Believe that Rice will be solid. McGahee will find a way to miss time and games and I'm not worried about McClain taking touches away from Rice. In a PPR he will be much better than everyone thought going into TC. (Well, everyone but BEM who knows almost as much as HM.)

Sounds like he will get goal line carries as well now. I think he has a big breakout year in a PPR league. Plus Baltimore is going to run the ball all day.

McClain and McGahee got all the goal line work in week 3 preseason. Rice got some work in the red zone, but McClain got some work between the 20s. It still looks like a 3 headed RB to me. Rice is the guy of the 3 to have, but to pay a 4th round price doesn't look like value to me.

Edited by Bronco Billy

...Plus Baltimore is going to run the ball all day.

Disclaimer:

Flacco owner here so my take is biased... BUT Baltimore has been airing it out in the preseason so while I think they will be a run-oriented team, I think the ratio of run to pass will be considerably less than you may be hoping for. Now from a PPR aspect, that likely does bode well for Rice.

I got him at 8.03 as my RB3 in my local 10-Team Non-PPR league and I couldn't believe he was still available. I am hoping his upside is as great as I think it will be. I am already planning on playing him Wk#1 @home against KC over R.Grant who is going against Chi. Would love for him to really have a break-out year and become my steady RB2. What does everybody else think?

Disclaimer:

Flacco owner here so my take is biased... BUT Baltimore has been airing it out in the preseason so while I think they will be a run-oriented team, I think the ratio of run to pass will be considerably less than you may be hoping for. Now from a PPR aspect, that likely does bode well for Rice.

I actually agree. Run teams are getting fewer and fewer. Look at Pits. They were a run team since, hell, they started. The pass percentage is increasing every year and I actually expect about a 25% increase this year in the passing game.

McClain and McGahee got all the goal line work in week 3 preseason. Rice got some work in the red zone, but McClain got some work between the 20s. It still looks like a 3 headed RB to me. Rice is the guy of the 3 to have, but to pay a 4th round price doesn't look like value to me.

Actually I think your right. However, I think he will end up a solid #2 in a PPR which in my mind is excellent value. Perhaps 4th round is about right for him either way.

In PPR's, I think he's definitely a high #2, but his upside is there for sure. McClain will get some short yardage carries, but he is really the only FB on the team now. MaGahee will spell Rice planty, but I think Rice is good... maybe very good value in the 4th.

It still looks like a 3 headed RB to me. Rice is the guy of the 3 to have, but to pay a 4th round price doesn't look like value to me.

Yeah but if you held off on RB2 for other stuff he is probably your best bet at that point since the Kevin Smith's, etc are probably gone.