[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seattle's Running Game

Infinity

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the entire Seattle offense is undervalued this year - Hasselbeck seems to be 100% and I think he will have a good year - I would take him over many of the QB's ahead of him. Housh will be a monster, Carlson a good TE and I think JJones is an absolute steal late in the draft - before he got in Holmgren's doghouse last year he was running very well - and I see him getting the bulk of the carries

Well, in order to keep the pressure off Hass, they need to get their running game going. I think Mora will run more than ever in Seattle so Jones might be a good sleeper......key word....might.

I like Edge in the aquisition, if not for mentoring, but for a good short yardage back and goaline push. He's also a great blocker which Hass needs as well.

Their O-line, average to begin with, has now lost THREE starters in Jones (surgery) Wahle (retirement) and their center (injury).

They ahve been trading for scrubs from Miami and picking up waived guys from the CHIEFS for pete's sake!

That o-line is a MAJOR cause for concern in the running game and will hinder the passing game.

Hope the defense can pitch shutouts this year . . the offense will need the help.

Anyone who think J Jones is a sleeper can also draft Williamson, C Henry .... just another in a long line of players people think will finally find talent in the offseason. There is a reason he's not going to do that well and it has nothing to do with his situation. HE'S JUST NOT THAT GOOD.

I have attended three seasons at Qwest now and their running game has been aweful since SA went down. There is no reason to think Jones is suddenly going to turn into a stud, especially when he's going to be on the bench for alot of plays to the Edge can go in and block. There is a reason he was signed, and it wasn't to support the run game. It was because he is an excellent blocking back, something Duckett wasn't, even at his size. With no O Line they are going to be using the RB as a blocker a ton.

Jones will have maybe 800 yds tops, and Edge, who knows, maybe 500.

I really don't understand how people treat sleepers, if James Davis or Donald Brown is considered a sleeper, or Turner in his first year as a starter, that's fine, we havn't seen what they can do. I've seen what JJ can do, and it ain't good.

On the other hand, Hasselbeck is going to be good if his health and protection can hold up.

Their O-line, average to begin with, has now lost THREE starters in Jones (surgery) Wahle (retirement) and their center (injury).

They ahve been trading for scrubs from Miami and picking up waived guys from the CHIEFS for pete's sake!

That o-line is a MAJOR cause for concern in the running game and will hinder the passing game.

Hope the defense can pitch shutouts this year . . the offense will need the help.

Yep. I'll just come out and say it, the Seahawks will have the worst O-Line in the NFL this season. It is absolutely impossible to have a good offense with a terrible O-line. Have you ever heard of a team with a bad line having a good offense? Ever? Hasselbeck won't be able to get any rhythm going and in my opinion his back won't hold up under all the blitzing and hits. The running game is going to be awful. Awful. Jones may have a season that adds up to 1000 yards, but I don't think he will be consistent enough to be startable. He should do fine in the 4 games against St. Louis and San Fran, but there will be some games against better opponents where Jones is completely washed off the field, to the tune of about 30 yards. I also can't see Jones scoring more than a handful of TD's.

There is only one Seahawk that should perform to his ADP, which is Carlson. He still plays well even with Wallace at the helm. I think the lack of time to get the ball off cleanly and the odds that the backup QB will play a fair amount this season should lead to a disappointing season for Housh and the rest of the WR's. My recommendation: don't take Hass, don't take any Seahawks WR, don't take any Seahawks RB.

Yep. I'll just come out and say it, the Seahawks will have the worst O-Line in the NFL this season. It is absolutely impossible to have a good offense with a terrible O-line. Have you ever heard of a team with a bad line having a good offense? Ever?

No, but I remember a fairly good RB that had probably the worst O-lines in the history of the game. A little fella named Barry.

Not to put Jones even close to the status of Barry, but he will have a ton more opportunities versus how the Seahawks have ever been designed. They've pretty much (even with Shaun) always been a majority role passing team. From what I've read, they plan on optimizing the run more than ever before with this team. That might be a good thing or it might be a horrific thing for the team, depending on how well Jones reacts to the extra load he will be getting.

I still don't get the Duckett release..but then again, what the hell do I know.

I'm with you there. I would think Duckett's style would hold up better without a line than Jones/Edge. It is a lot easier to block a dive or blast than it is a stretch or draw. I would have thought Duckett could run up the middle for 3 yards a pop all day long, regardless of the state of the line. At the very least, that is more consistent than a Jones type who will run for no gain, 1 yard, and then 7. With 3 yards a pop, you can at least get yourself into manageable 3rd downs. Now the Hawks are also going to be awful in short yardage again, which we were two years ago before we brought in Duckett.

As far as the guy who mentioned Forsett....don't. He isn't an NFL caliber talent. You can't be that small and run a 4.8. No chance.

No, but I remember a fairly good RB that had probably the worst O-lines in the history of the game. A little fella named Barry.

Not to put Jones even close to the status of Barry, but he will have a ton more opportunities versus how the Seahawks have ever been designed. They've pretty much (even with Shaun) always been a majority role passing team. From what I've read, they plan on optimizing the run more than ever before with this team. That might be a good thing or it might be a horrific thing for the team, depending on how well Jones reacts to the extra load he will be getting.

Actually until Shaun became over the hill, the Seahawks were actually one of the most balanced teams in football, even to the point where they were one of the top rushing teams in the league. Once he got old, the Seahawks had to turn to the air-it-out style. The run philosophy sounds great, but it is only a philosophy. It can't actually happen. In reality, the Hawks best players are still the QB and receiving options, and the Seahawks are still bad. They are going to be too far behind most of the time and too poor in the running game to lean on it heavily, no matter how much they'd like to.

Whole situation is a mess. I'm pulling for Edge to have some success, if only for the reason that I like him and think he's gotten the %#$ end of the stick since leaving Indy.

The offense needs Deon Butler to be RPOY.

Actually until Shaun became over the hill, the Seahawks were actually one of the most balanced teams in football, even to the point where they were one of the top rushing teams in the league. Once he got old, the Seahawks had to turn to the air-it-out style. The run philosophy sounds great, but it is only a philosophy. It can't actually happen. In reality, the Hawks best players are still the QB and receiving options, and the Seahawks are still bad. They are going to be too far behind most of the time and too poor in the running game to lean on it heavily, no matter how much they'd like to.

I'm really not trying to paint Seattle as a renowned, newly glorified team that will become superior now that Has is back and Jones will be getting the ball more. I'm merely just trying to say that Jones will probably have the best year of his career under this offense. Which, being the best year of his career isn't saying a whole lot. Maybe 1,000 yards and 7 TD's which isn't a bad #2 RB.

I honestly think they might, if lucky hit .500 this year.

Anyone who think J Jones is a sleeper can also draft Williamson, C Henry .... just another in a long line of players people think will finally find talent in the offseason. There is a reason he's not going to do that well and it has nothing to do with his situation. HE'S JUST NOT THAT GOOD.

I have attended three seasons at Qwest now and their running game has been aweful since SA went down. There is no reason to think Jones is suddenly going to turn into a stud, especially when he's going to be on the bench for alot of plays to the Edge can go in and block. There is a reason he was signed, and it wasn't to support the run game. It was because he is an excellent blocking back, something Duckett wasn't, even at his size. With no O Line they are going to be using the RB as a blocker a ton.

Jones will have maybe 800 yds tops, and Edge, who knows, maybe 500.

I really don't understand how people treat sleepers, if James Davis or Donald Brown is considered a sleeper, or Turner in his first year as a starter, that's fine, we havn't seen what they can do. I've seen what JJ can do, and it ain't good.

On the other hand, Hasselbeck is going to be good if his health and protection can hold up.

If memory serves, Jones did have a couple of great outings last year when Morris went down. Jones received all of the carries and really produced.

Now that I look it up, it was against San Fran and St. Louis so I guess that's not saying much, but that was without Hass, and any good receivers, as well as a banged up oline. So if you want to say that he won't do anything this year because his oline is hurt, then okay, but to see he's not good enough to rush for over 800 yds, I disagree. Baring injury I say he hits the 1000yd plus a hand full of TD's which means he could do well as a spot starter.

I still think Jones is a great pick up that can be had late. You won't start him every week, but he can provide some help depending on matchups.

Edited by NAUgrad

I see them passing a lot with some potentially nice FF value in Hass, Carlson, and Housh, not so much for the running game. Huge question marks in the line, but still think the potential is there for a mediocre season. of course, the potential for being the worst line in the NFL also exists. Anyone trying to claim they know how the O-line performance turns out this year,doesn't really know.

Don't want to be the annoying blind homer, and maybe your take comes to fruition, but this tad over-exenutated on the pessimistic side:

- Jones and Spencer could be back in the lineup by Week 3. Spencer has never been all that much of a player anyway.

- The scrubs they picked up are for nothing but depth and could be off the roster by Week 3

- Wahle was okay last year; they drafted Unger in the 2nd round who has been very impressive and will probably be starting all season long.

I just dont think Julius should be a starter on any fantasy team at all . . . and if he DOES, your team has some major issues . . .

and this was before they lost 3 o-linemen.

Forsett has some nice potential as a 3rd down, receiving RB.

:wacko: Let's talk after We ek 1 vs.STL. JJ's in my lineup as a 3rd RB in the FLEX position in a 12 team league.

There is only one Seahawk that should perform to his ADP, which is Carlson. He still plays well even with Wallace at the helm. I think the lack of time to get the ball off cleanly and the odds that the backup QB will play a fair amount this season should lead to a disappointing season for Housh and the rest of the WR's. My recommendation: don't take Hass, don't take any Seahawks WR, don't take any Seahawks RB.

I know you are the resident Seahawk expert, but this line of thinking is so narrow-minded and ra-tarded -

you honestly think Hass or any WR or RB has no value to draft??

I think Hass puts up nice numbers and he is showing great chemistry with Housh who is going to be hugh in PPR - and JJones for how far he is falling in most drafts, is still a starting TB in the NFL that actually put up some decent numbers to start last year, 127(SF) 140 (Stl), and ended up averaging 4.4 ypc - he isn't AP, but he has the chance to have some nice games in a weak NFC West - I just grabbed him at 10.1, will take that all day long

Edited by wildcat2334

Love to . . . is this the same Rams team that owned the Bengals o-line last week with the starters? Yep, I see big things for JJ . . .lol

I think he's refering to the same Rams that are ranked 28th in rush defense this preseassion, allowing 135 yards and 3 rushing TD's per game.

I know you are the resident Seahawk expert, but this line of thinking is so narrow-minded and ra-tarded -

you honestly think Hass or any WR or RB has no value to draft??

I think Hass puts up nice numbers and he is showing great chemistry with Housh who is going to be hugh in PPR - and JJones for how far he is falling in most drafts, is still a starting TB in the NFL that actually put up some decent numbers to start last year, 127(SF) 140 (Stl), and ended up averaging 4.4 ypc - he isn't AP, but he has the chance to have some nice games in a weak NFC West - I just grabbed him at 10.1, will take that all day long

If you were to tell me Hasselbeck would play in at least 14 games, I would think both he and Housh's value will be fine. I just can't get myself to see that happening, and I have a huge man-crush on Matt so I am by no means a hater. The Seahawks will be near the leaders in times blitzed this season. With this O-line, combined with Matt's recent injury history, I just can't see him making it through the season. Can you put a percentage on how likely it is Matt makes it through the season? My guess would be well under 50%. Seneca doesn't exactly hit his WR's a whole lot, so Housh figures to suffer the most from Matt being under pressure all year. I didn't say I wouldn't draft them period, but they would have to slide a lot further than usual, like several rounds.

Chris Spencer, when healthy, is in the top 1/3 of centers in this league. His backup is in the bottom 5%.

Bad O-lines lead to disasters on many levels. Horrible O-lines lead to complete and utter disaster. I just can't put stock into any of these guys.

Sorry to tell you, but you should have just muttered "pass" when your pick came up in the 10th round.

Edited by Seahawks21