[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seattle's Running Game

Infinity

Anyone who think J Jones is a sleeper can also draft Williamson, C Henry .... just another in a long line of players people think will finally find talent in the offseason. There is a reason he's not going to do that well and it has nothing to do with his situation. HE'S JUST NOT THAT GOOD.

I have attended three seasons at Qwest now and their running game has been aweful since SA went down. There is no reason to think Jones is suddenly going to turn into a stud, especially when he's going to be on the bench for alot of plays to the Edge can go in and block. There is a reason he was signed, and it wasn't to support the run game. It was because he is an excellent blocking back, something Duckett wasn't, even at his size. With no O Line they are going to be using the RB as a blocker a ton.

Jones will have maybe 800 yds tops, and Edge, who knows, maybe 500.

I really don't understand how people treat sleepers, if James Davis or Donald Brown is considered a sleeper, or Turner in his first year as a starter, that's fine, we havn't seen what they can do. I've seen what JJ can do, and it ain't good.

On the other hand, Hasselbeck is going to be good if his health and protection can hold up.

Talent is something that Chris Henry never needed to find...Brains on the other hand absolutely but not talent.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Spencer, when healthy, is in the top 1/3 of centers in this league.

Malarkey. And if accurate, he is only supposed to miss a bit of the regular season which contradicts your doomsday scenario anyway.

Spencer still hasn't yet learned the technique to be one of the best centers in football, and right now he's not that close. What he is right now is what he has always been since he was drafted; potential to be good with an inability to stay healthy.

I personally like JJ this year. I was able to steal him in my draft this year (6th round-14 team) and he was the last starting rb left on teh board so late. To me, he is a steal this late in the draft. I think Mora offense that will allow the back to run N-S will be promising for the fast JJ, he can also catch passes out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if he amasses 1400 yds and 10 Tds this year, barring injury of course. Mora is gonna run him into the ground and rest him with Edge.

I personally like JJ this year. I was able to steal him in my draft this year (6th round-14 team) and he was the last starting rb left on teh board so late. To me, he is a steal this late in the draft. I think Mora offense that will allow the back to run N-S will be promising for the fast JJ, he can also catch passes out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if he amasses 1400 yds and 10 Tds this year, barring injury of course. Mora is gonna run him into the ground and rest him with Edge.

Maybe we all do deserve and need a little sarcasm at this point.

Malarkey. And if accurate, he is only supposed to miss a bit of the regular season which contradicts your doomsday scenario anyway.

Spencer still hasn't yet learned the technique to be one of the best centers in football, and right now he's not that close. What he is right now is what he has always been since he was drafted; potential to be good with an inability to stay healthy.

The hardest thing for a center to do is to be the nail in the double-team, then realize when the guard has gotten all the way around a DT playing the 1 technique, so he can then rub off onto the second level. There are only a handful of centers in the NFL at any given time that ever manage to get a feel for this. Spencer is one of them. The first time I noticed him doing it I thought it was a mistake and he had just lost the DT. Then I saw it again two plays later. I know I'm a geek about these kinds of things, but it was actually really cool to watch. A lot of things came together for him last season before his injury. First, he started stepping with the correct foot. His major problem his first few years was that he could only play right footed, which meant a mis-step any time he had to go to his left. He also rarely got beat in pass protection last year. It took much too long, and he still gets injured every time he sneezes, but Spencer actually became a pretty good talent once everybody stopped watching.

It doesn't appear to me like he'll be back anytime soon, so I am saying that this adds to the doomsday prognosis. The step down from Spencer to Vallos is enormous.

Edited by Seahawks21

If memory serves, Jones did have a couple of great outings last year when Morris went down. Jones received all of the carries and really produced.

Now that I look it up, it was against San Fran and St. Louis so I guess that's not saying much, but that was without Hass, and any good receivers, as well as a banged up oline. So if you want to say that he won't do anything this year because his oline is hurt, then okay, but to see he's not good enough to rush for over 800 yds, I disagree. Baring injury I say he hits the 1000yd plus a hand full of TD's which means he could do well as a spot starter.

I still think Jones is a great pick up that can be had late. You won't start him every week, but he can provide some help depending on matchups.

People really are optimistic. I'm not saying you can't use a guy like Jones on your roster, but he better be your 4th or at best your No 3. You're telling me, after 5 seasons in the NFL, he's suddenly going to breakout and have a career year. Why? Did someone at Starbucks invent a Talent Latte? He rushed for 1084 yds and 4 TD's three SEASONS ago. And that was with a stout Dallas O Line and a rookie QB in Romo so they leaned on him heavily. He's now in the pass happy Northwest, is three seasons slower, and behind an O-line that could start an Ichiro bobblehead at left guard and not get any worse. 800 yards is being generous, I'd plan for more like 700-750 with about 4 TD's otherwise your kidding yourself unless your league gives points for RB's doing pancake blocks.

I still don't get the Duckett release..but then again, what the hell do I know.

JJones is the #1, Edge now the #2. Forsett is the kick returner/rb. Almost no teams carry 4 active rb's into any given game which means Ducket would be inactive. Why carry him on the roster and pay him HUGE money to be inactive every week barring injury?

Comprende?

The hardest thing for a center to do is to be the nail in the double-team, then realize when the guard has gotten all the way around a DT playing the 1 technique, so he can then rub off onto the second level. There are only a handful of centers in the NFL at any given time that ever manage to get a feel for this. Spencer is one of them. The first time I noticed him doing it I thought it was a mistake and he had just lost the DT. Then I saw it again two plays later. I know I'm a geek about these kinds of things, but it was actually really cool to watch. A lot of things came together for him last season before his injury. First, he started stepping with the correct foot. His major problem his first few years was that he could only play right footed, which meant a mis-step any time he had to go to his left. He also rarely got beat in pass protection last year. It took much too long, and he still gets injured every time he sneezes, but Spencer actually became a pretty good talent once everybody stopped watching.

I don't necessarily buy into your Spencer = Superman much. But I also saw leaps and bounds of improvement last year that made me think he isn't necessarily a detriment when he is playing. And he still should be healthy soon.

JJones is the #1, Edge now the #2. Forsett is the kick returner/rb. Almost no teams carry 4 active rb's into any given game which means Ducket would be inactive. Why carry him on the roster and pay him HUGE money to be inactive every week barring injury?

Comprende?

I think he means Duckett would be as valuable to the offense as Edge, if not more.

Comprende?

Cause if you would have read my previous posts, you would know I think Duckett is a better RB than JJ and E.James at this point in his career.

Comprende??

Edit to add: Forgot to put James in there. Anyway..no worries.

Edited by tazinib1

Cause if you would have read my previous posts, you would know I think Duckett is a better RB than JJ's.

Comprende??

JJ can block a pass rusher, JJ can catch. I'm not about to come out and defend the fact that Seattle has the worst RB's in the league...but.....Duckett can gain a yard when you need 3. That was his skill set last year and what he brought to the team this year. ....Duckett got cut.

JJ can block a pass rusher, JJ can catch. I'm not about to come out and defend the fact that Seattle has the worst RB's in the league...but.....Duckett can gain a yard when you need 3. That was his skill set last year and what he brought to the team this year. ....Duckett got cut.

Its a moot point. Maybe Duckett will catch on with Chicago. Who knows...he's not fantasy relevant anymore so screw it.

I think the entire Seattle offense is undervalued this year - Hasselbeck seems to be 100% and I think he will have a good year - I would take him over many of the QB's ahead of him. Housh will be a monster, Carlson a good TE and I think JJones is an absolute steal late in the draft - before he got in Holmgren's doghouse last year he was running very well - and I see him getting the bulk of the carries

I am with you...Seattle will start the year hot, BUT, as usual, injuries will slow them down and eventually a good thing will have to end. Julius Jones gets the Flex nod over Felix Jones in week one.

I personally like JJ this year. I was able to steal him in my draft this year (6th round-14 team) and he was the last starting rb left on teh board so late. To me, he is a steal this late in the draft. I think Mora offense that will allow the back to run N-S will be promising for the fast JJ, he can also catch passes out of the backfield. Don't be surprised if he amasses 1400 yds and 10 Tds this year

:wacko::D

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/31/wyche-s-mi...fer-from-lions/

As we have seen with these three established former Pro Bowlers, they will not simply take a job because it is offered. Dunn recently declined an offer from Seattle while waiting for the right situation. Veterans like Dunn have the option to retire, or they could stay in shape while waiting to be summoned at some point of the regular season.

Well, this is interesting. Dunn would have a pretty good chance to win the starting job there in Seattle. Perhaps even he knows the OL is awful and he is better served waiting on a team with a better OL that needs a quality backup

Actually until Shaun became over the hill, the Seahawks were actually one of the most balanced teams in football, even to the point where they were one of the top rushing teams in the league. Once he got old, the Seahawks had to turn to the air-it-out style. The run philosophy sounds great, but it is only a philosophy. It can't actually happen. In reality, the Hawks best players are still the QB and receiving options, and the Seahawks are still bad. They are going to be too far behind most of the time and too poor in the running game to lean on it heavily, no matter how much they'd like to.

Tell me how are the seahawks still bad? They are a better team on paper than last year and last year they were picked by Chris Berman to go to the super bowl before the season started and everyone expected the hawks to win the division. Now we have a healthy team almost... and Hasselbeck has amazing weapons with Housh and Carlson. burleson is healthy along with Branch. I definatley think we will be a passing team but thats how they got it done in 2007 when Hasselbeck had his career year. I don't think they will be behind in many games with the defense they have. Cutting Brian Russell was the best thing they could have done to help the secondary. The offense will be fine. I would try to stay away from Jones but if you can get him in later rounds he will be of value.

Edited by Seahawk37

:wacko: Let's talk after We ek 1 vs.STL. JJ's in my lineup as a 3rd RB in the FLEX position in a 12 team league.

I have him as a FLEX as well in a 12 team league. I used a 9th round draft pick for him so if he puts up 1000 yards and 6TDs ill say I got good value for him.

The OL is a concern but the schedule is very very easy. Not many top defenses on the schedule. When you look at their schedule its clear that if they sort out the offense line and if JJ gets 70-80% of the carries he will have a fairly productive season even if by default.

heck Benson even put up decent stats at the end of last year behind an atrocious offensive line playing a brutal schedule. And we know he stinks too.