[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Accidental trade

satelliteoflovegm

Team A Offers Anthony Gonzales to Team B for Desean Jackson

Team B responds: Response: They are pretty even, I am going to stay with him for now (Most likely "him" being Jackson, he confirms, I believe him, all parties agree this was probably an accident) That doesn't mean Team A is willing to pass on Desean Jackson, without a fight.

Unfortunatley Team B hits the ACCEPT button.

Here's the rule:

11.2 NFFL owners are ultimately responsible for their actions and teams. Extreme care should be excercised in the making of and response to trade offers. On some occasions and as time permits, the NFFL Commissioner will investigate and may reverse a roster move made in error. An owners actions will carry the most evidential weight in determining if the move was intended. Unclear or confusing trade language will be investigated by asking the involved parties to clarify. However if time prevents or the parties contradict each other, the trade will be rejected by commissioner under sub section 11.3.

11.3 The NFFL Commissioner has final say over all league matters. The NFFL Commissioner also reserves the right to ammend or adjust this constitution as he sees fit. League owners will be notified of any changes to this document.

What say you? I have 99% already decided what to do. But I was also wrong once and I thought it was an interesting application of a rule and wanted to see how others interpreted it.

Thanks

In most BOTH leagues, both teams in a trade have to confirm trades by posting their acceptances in addition to accepting it in MFL.

But the way the rules are written, it looks like 11.2 expresses that you need to be careful in not accidently accepting trades, so I would have to let the trade stand. I don't believe 11.3 is strong enough to override this

In most BOTH leagues, both teams in a trade have to confirm trades by posting their acceptances in addition to accepting it in MFL.

But the way the rules are written, it looks like 11.2 expresses that you need to be careful in not accidently accepting trades, so I would have to let the trade stand. I don't believe 11.3 is strong enough to override this

Yes but in 11.2 it goes on to say that the commish can reverse a roster move made in error.

if both parties say it was an accident you have to reverse it.

Yes but in 11.2 it goes on to say that the commish can reverse a roster move made in error.

if both parties say it was an accident you have to reverse it.

Well the one owner knows it was probably a mistake. But yes, for intents and purposes, we are all 99% sure what happened.

So now I get an email from them both saying the opposite, mistake guy say's "my bad, put it through", other guy says, "He made a mistake, reject it"

Good of both of them, very cool. They are both good guys. But I try and not put it on the owners to decide, it's my job to be the "bad guy"

Doesn't help me though, what I should do and what I want to do are two seperate things Im starting to think.

I always try and look to the future and a worse case scenario. This time it isn't a big deal, but what if next time it spirals and the new people involved say "same exact language as that trade in early september '09, but you rule differently."

Of course this new future fictional trade weakens one team, I make the playoffs because of it and all hell breaks loose. Or while we're clearing it up Desean Jackson breaks his leg. Then does their position change?

This is the toughest decision I have had to make in years.

I have hit the wrong button as I tend to hit my leagues in a hurry while doing other things or waiting for a call at work. Sheet happens and if it was an accident then just fix it. Hell, I hate to admit this but I have sent the winnings to wrong party before. I sent the runner-up the top money and the winner the runner-up money. I felt like sheet but everyone knew and took care of getting the money back to where it belonged. I ate the paypal fees as it was my mistake but the point is that mistakes do happen.

I would reverse the trade and let the two teams go back to offer, if team A want to re-submit the offer he can, if team B still feels as though he should take it, he can then accept it and it is on him/her to manage the team.

Can you just trade him back to him?

Can you just trade him back to him?

I'll void it or they accept it, if you start trading forth and back even with special circumstances, you get kinda close to loaner type trade where I trade you a guy to get you through a bye week and then you trade him back. A reach? Yes, but I try to think of worst case scenarios with potential new owners I dont know or trust yet.

This league has been around since 1994, with 6 original owners and no turnover at all for 4 years. We have had our share of trouble makers pass through though.

Based on past pratice, I will likely void the trade. If mistake guy feels bad he can offer it again and say ok. Still thinking about it though, the luxury is the season is still a week away.

Thanks for the feedback. I like the machine comment, that's what I strive for. Black and white rules, no decisions, just apply the rules. Sometimes you get stuck and have to get all thinking and human like. :wacko:

I think you are misinterpreting the "machine" comment. I believe Scoobys's Hub was telling to not act like a machine, just following the rules and letting the rules decide foryou, and instead think like a human and do what's best for the league.

i would reverse it. it was clear that he didn't want to do the deal. no need to get hung up on technicalities when you are 100% sure of the owners intent. this is similar to something along the lines of trading the wrong Adrian Peterson.

bingo

Your rules are intended to act as a guide, but not definitive law, in conjunction with tacit agreement, to aid in ruling

where warranted. :p

What that means...just because it was written, doesn't mean you have to be illogical in decision. Reverse it. Nothing kills league momentum faster than a mishap week 1.

I think you are misinterpreting the "machine" comment. I believe Scoobys's Hub was telling to not act like a machine, just following the rules and letting the rules decide foryou, and instead think like a human and do what's best for the league.

I know what he said, what I said is we should act like machines where leagues are concerned. As much as possible anyway. If you don't then you let personal feelings creep into it. Im saying, unfortunatley, this time I need to let the human aspect show itself. Because the rule doesn't cover it and there is some wiggle room. I wish was me saying "rule 11.3 applies, trade approved" That's immpossible 100% of the time, but it SHOULD absolutley be the goal 100% of the time.

Also, make no mistake, the one team thinks he's still entitled to Desean Jackson. The guy hit accept. He is also willing to let it go as to not disrupt a good thing we have going. Same for the other guy. He wants to keep Jackson, but is willing to "let it go" for the good of the league.

Your rules are intended to act as a guide, but not definitive law, in conjunction with tacit agreement, to aid in ruling

where warranted. :p

What that means...just because it was written, doesn't mean you have to be illogical in decision. Reverse it. Nothing kills league momentum faster than a mishap week 1.

I agree to some extent, after looking up Tacit. I'm not looking to push this trade onto both owners beyond their wishes just for the sake of following the rules. Team A believes they had an agreement. Like I said he's willing to drop it for the bigger picture. But it isn't nessecarily up to him anymore. It's up to me.

Momentum isn't a concern, this league is strong.