[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

THE most undervalued palyer this year.

Rovers

1. Eric Mangini is NO LONGER the coach in New York. Magini is a hardcore running coach, bar none. For some reason last year, they gave it to Thomas Jones every play in the Red Zone. This, despite the fact that it often took Thomas Jones 3-4 plays to knock it in, inside the 5-yard line. The guy wasn't impressive, his results were strictly volume based. Thew dude is not a good runner. He's not a pile pusher.

2. No more Favre as a decoy. While I like Sanchez, he's going to see a lot of 8-man boxes.

With that said...I see your point.

Bugged me a bit... while I agree Jones is not a pile pusher, I went back and looked at week 1 thru 11, and here is what the play by play stats say:

week1 Mia

1-10 at the 11

Jones for 5

Jones for 6, TD

week 6 Cincy

1-7 TD

1-1 TD

week 8 KC

1-2, Jones for 1 yard

2-1 TD

week 9 Bills

1-7 TD

week 10 Rams

13 yd TD

1-2 TD

1-6 TD

week 11 NE

1-3 1 yard run

1-1 (Penalty for 1st down) no gain

2-1 TD

I stopped there. That's 8 of his 13 rushing TD's. Of the carries inside the ten, he had a total of 8 TD's on 11 carries. He only got stuffed 3 times. Only against NE did he need 3 carries to score, but the Jets got a 1st down on a penalty inside the five on that possession. If you want to go look at weeks 12 to 17, be my guest, but this is enough data to dispell your "he needs 3 or 4 carries to score at the GL theory".

I'll say it again.... the reason he improved at the GL so much last year was the O line. :wacko:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Great thread, great research, great analysis...I stand corrected. In turn, I'll try not to talk so loosely about aplayer without research.

LOL... no problem. I am an average FF player, but when it comes to the Jets... I am generally spot on. (Thanks, Scooby!) The Cunning Runt will soon get schooled to the tune of 20 bucks! :wacko: I am very rarely wrong about any Jets player. Now, if only I could have that hit ratio in FF ...

Bugged me a bit... while I agree Jones is not a pile pusher, I went back and looked at week 1 thru 11, and here is what the play by play stats say:

week1 Mia

1-10 at the 11

Jones for 5

Jones for 6, TD

week 6 Cincy

1-7 TD

1-1 TD

week 8 KC

1-2, Jones for 1 yard

2-1 TD

week 9 Bills

1-7 TD

week 10 Rams

13 yd TD

1-2 TD

1-6 TD

week 11 NE

1-3 1 yard run

1-1 (Penalty for 1st down) no gain

2-1 TD

I stopped there. That's 8 of his 13 rushing TD's. Of the carries inside the ten, he had a total of 8 TD's on 11 carries. He only got stuffed 3 times. Only against NE did he need 3 carries to score, but the Jets got a 1st down on a penalty inside the five on that possession. If you want to go look at weeks 12 to 17, be my guest, but this is enough data to dispell your "he needs 3 or 4 carries to score at the GL theory".

I'll say it again.... the reason he improved at the GL so much last year was the O line. :wacko:

+1

Great thread, great research, great analysis...I stand corrected. In turn, I'll try not to talk so loosely about aplayer without research.

:D Great research, and an equally solid reply.

My projections for Jones this week at Houston (if anyone but me cares...LOL):

18 carries, 85 yards, TD, 3 receptions, 16 yards.

Washington:

7 carries, 40 yards, 4 receptions, 35 Yards, TD.

I think both RB's have upside. I would not be surprised if Sanchez tries to go deep with the first play from scrimmage, but expect it to be a running attack primarily. If Houston stacks the box, I think the Jets will let Sanchez throw. Houston gave up triple digit numbers in yardage to 5 or 6 RB's last year and the Jets O line is a good one. I look for Houston to try to force Sanchez to throw. I think either Keller or Cotchery find the end zone. So, yes, I have Sanchez down for two TD passes in a close Jets loss. I also have Sanchez down for a pik or two.

Should be an interesting game in any case. Houston with a new DC, the Jets with a new HC and DC. Neither team has regular season film to game plan against the new defenses, so I expect a lot of wrinkles and surprises.

I like Slaton and Owens to have big days. With Ellis and Pace suspended, I expect to see Slaton run at Pace's replacement, the so far bust first round pick Gholston. Owens will likely be in a mismatch all day with either Harris or Scott trying to cover him on the hot reads, and there may be a lot of blitzing by the Jets. AJ is hard to shut down, but with Walter out, he could see a double team all day especially when he gets matched up against Lito Sheppard. He'll get his, but how much... hard to project.

This game could be a benchmark for my entire "Thomas Jones in under rated schpeel". I also think Washington is a bit over rated. We shall see...

Jones. You know Jones is going to get his. Washington isn't a full time every down back.

Funny, while I agree, a lot of people (some Huddle staff included) think Jones is all but washed up coming off a career year. I think his APD is around 26 for RB's, and even at that, some think he is OVER valued. He is 31... how old is LT2? Jones has far less mileage and is playing in a contract year. Not comparing Jones to Tomlinson, other than as far as age and NFL carries.

To be honest, I actually think Jones could have a beast of a day tomorrow, but projected his numbers conservatively. Some RB's really blew up Houston last year, but there is a new DC... and that might mean something... or not. Houston still does have problems at DT.

This was a great read. I kinda groaned when I read it tho, because I felt the exact opposite. When I see Washington, I see more then just another third down back. I see a dynamic playmaker just waiting for the chance to run wild. Then I see Jones, a player who's always had a high draft pick at his heels that's "about to" take his job at every turn but yet he's churned out yards. This year I think Jones takes a step back and Washington gets the majority of touches ala Ray Rice.

I really didn't understand how the majority of this thread is a dismissal of Washington outright. To me he's in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the Baltimore style that Rex brings. It's still way too early in the season or game but Washington is seeing the majority of touches.

The point was he isn't looking good in general, which I didn't know. I saw a few other runs where he looked kinda OK, 3, 4 yd runs up the middle kind of stuff.

But yeah any way you can get it....

Jones never looks all that good. But, to be cliche, at the end of the day... he gets his. That is probably a big part of why he gets ranked so low. Leon looks awesome.... but Jones gets more FF points.

OMG.... who wrote this?

Jones is picking up right where he left off last season and should once again bring consistent numbers to fantasy owners that had drafted him for their teams. With Leon Washington also in the mix the Jets have a potent one-two running attack and that does not even mention rookie Shonn Greene who is currently injured and may be the best runner on the team.

I believe this is a KFFL blurb... What trash! First off, Greene is NOT injured, he was just inactive for week one. He was not on the injury list at all. He is not ready too play in the NFL especially with a rookie QB. Greene has less than 20 preseason touches.... THEN to say he may be the best runner on the team?!? :wacko::D:D

Great call so far, Rovers. It is only one game, but still...Geez!

No doubt. I'm halfway wondering if I should go ahead and cut a check now. But it's a long season. We'll see.

Rovers - we never did make any stipulations as far as injuries, which would only be to your benefit to have so I'm willing to allow for something.

I'm thinking if he misses more than three games due to injury, bet's off unless he still manages to crack the top 15 even having missed those games in which case I'd pay. Games he starts but may get injured in would not count as one of those three. Fair?