[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some beers I've been really digging lately

detlef

We decided to specialize in very cool beers at Dos Perros and are actually building a library of age-worthy beers so we can feature them down the road.

As a result, I've had the good fortune of trying some pretty groovy beers of late. Here's a few I find myself going back to.

My favorite, hands down (at least right now), is North Coast Brewery La Merle. It's a saison-style ale. Really rich and opulent but with great balance and a crisp citrus finish as well. Super, super elegant stuff.

Victory V12- Made with yeast smuggled in from Belgium some years ago. Massive stuff but still put together nicely. At a recent Victory dinner, one of the geeks busted out some he'd been holding for a few years and it had this amazing apricot flavor.

New Belgium Mothership Wit- For the life of me, I have no idea why Fat Tire, rather than this, is the flag ship for that label. Fat Tire just tastes like burnt toast and is totally one-dimensional. This stuff I could drink all day.

Dale's Pale Ale- Rich but not too big, Hops but not silly about it.

I'm also reminded how much I like Dogfish 60 minute.

Is Mothership Wit widely available? Not familiar with it.

I assume New Belgium is in your market? I know they're not in every state but are greeted like the second coming in every market they enter and it's all on the back of Fat Tire.

At any rate, I can see why Wit would not be. I can only get it 1/6th barrels rather than normal size kegs right now.

We decided to specialize in very cool beers at Dos Perros and are actually building a library of age-worthy beers so we can feature them down the road.

New Belgium Mothership Wit- For the life of me, I have no idea why Fat Tire, rather than this, is the flag ship for that label. Fat Tire just tastes like burnt toast and is totally one-dimensional. This stuff I could drink all day.

very well aquainted with this. i tend to have belgians and germans in my fridge (most often hefes and dunkels) and this is a great american representative of belgian wit bier. new belgium has a great line (fat tire may be my least favorite of what they offer).

:wacko:

Thanks for the post. I'd like to try some new beer and I'll look out for these.

Quick question...I haven't had the DFH 60 in quite a while. I know you serve Bell's Two Hearted at Jujube. Which do you prefer? They are similarly priced around here but I usually have Bell's.

Thanks for the post. I'd like to try some new beer and I'll look out for these.

Quick question...I haven't had the DFH 60 in quite a while. I know you serve Bell's Two Hearted at Jujube. Which do you prefer? They are similarly priced around here but I usually have Bell's.

I love them both and the only reason why I mentioned the 60 was because I hadn't had it in a while. You're right, they are quite similar. Both have some heft and hoppiness but not too much of either.

Two I forgot to mention.

Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza

and It's Alive

Both of those were outstanding.

I like mothership quite a bit, and I really think all of new belgium's efforts are consistently good. my favorites are probably the trippel and 1554. but I think your dislike of fat tire (burnt toast) may be some freudian h8tank projection. it really is a nicely balanced beer, with a nice little hop bite against a bready malt profile. there's nothing really "belgian" about it, but I think it's a nice beer, and it's their flagship simply because it has always sold so well.

I will have to seek out the north coast saison, everything they make that I've tried is excellent.

I like mothership quite a bit, and I really think all of new belgium's efforts are consistently good. my favorites are probably the trippel and 1554. but I think your dislike of fat tire (burnt toast) may be some freudian h8tank projection. it really is a nicely balanced beer, with a nice little hop bite against a bready malt profile. there's nothing really "belgian" about it, but I think it's a nice beer, and it's their flagship simply because it has always sold so well.

I will have to seek out the north coast saison, everything they make that I've tried is excellent.

+1

Well, judging by some of the above comments, it appears I'm not alone in my critique of Fat Tire. I'll admit that there might be a smidge of simply expecting it to be better considering how crazy hyped it was. I mean, it just hit the state a few months ago and it is freaking everywhere. However, like everything else we put on the list, my bartenders and I sat down in front of a table of beers and tried through them all. When we got to the fat tire, we all looked at each other wondering what the big deal was. All we got was bready malt. The rep fired open another to just make sure. Same story.

I also can't tell you how many people have made the same comment when they've mentioned how happy to see we're pouring the Wit instead.

Now, certainly there's always an unavoidable amount of, "I don't want to drink the beer that's everywhere" that goes into this but, to be honest, I would have been happy to put it on the list if I thought it was even nearly as good as others in it's category. But, it's just so cloying with the bread. Like I'm more thirsty after having had a sip than before.

To me it has a brutish quality and it doesn't surprise me that it has the most mass appeal. Here in the states, if a little bit is good, too much is better. This goes for over malty beers as well as those with a bloody insane amount of hops.

Well, judging by some of the above comments, it appears I'm not alone in my critique of Fat Tire. I'll admit that there might be a smidge of simply expecting it to be better considering how crazy hyped it was. I mean, it just hit the state a few months ago and it is freaking everywhere. However, like everything else we put on the list, my bartenders and I sat down in front of a table of beers and tried through them all. When we got to the fat tire, we all looked at each other wondering what the big deal was. All we got was bready malt. The rep fired open another to just make sure. Same story.

I also can't tell you how many people have made the same comment when they've mentioned how happy to see we're pouring the Wit instead.

Now, certainly there's always an unavoidable amount of, "I don't want to drink the beer that's everywhere" that goes into this but, to be honest, I would have been happy to put it on the list if I thought it was even nearly as good as others in it's category. But, it's just so cloying with the bread. Like I'm more thirsty after having had a sip than before.

To me it has a brutish quality and it doesn't surprise me that it has the most mass appeal. Here in the states, if a little bit is good, too much is better. This goes for over malty beers as well as those with a bloody insane amount of hops.

Put Deshutes Brewery, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, on your menu and you will have happy customers-- :wacko: On my third bier tonight after a long day on the links followed by a long day at work with many unruly dogs and clueless owners. It is the best pale Ale I have tasted-and close behind is Bridgeport Pale Ale.

Put Deshutes Brewery, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, on your menu and you will have happy customers-- :wacko: On my third bier tonight after a long day on the links followed by a long day at work with many unruly dogs and clueless owners. It is the best pale Ale I have tasted-and close behind is Bridgeport Pale Ale.

I'll have to look for those. Hopefully one of the reps I deal with has 'em.

As said by previous guys - I actually saw this on a menu and avoided it because Fat Tire is so mediocre. I just figured New Belgium was like Coors back in the day - everyone hyped it because you couldn't get it.

I'll have to wander down to Cafe Hollander* and give it a whirl.

* - this place is a medium walk from my house. FORTUNATELY. Last time I went there I got buzzed up very nicely.

Fat Tire used to be a much better bier when they were an actual micro-brewery. I started drinking their bier when they were just getting started while I was in college. It was pretty cool seeing Jeff and sampling his beers when he home brewed them... now they are the "world's biggest micro-brewer"... is there really such a thing??

maybe I like fat tire because, around here, it's never been held up as something particularly special. like, "oooh, we have fat tire now!" I could certainly see being let down if it were hyped up like that. I look at it as just a high end mass market kind of beer -- up against stuff like sam adams boston lager, stella, heineken, bass -- and I think fat tire is better than all of those (bass is about as good). sierra nevada pale ale is about the only really popular beer I would say is slightly better than fat tire. and I like fat tire for the fact that it got new belgium so big nationwide, because their product overall is better than sam adams or any other big (american) brewery that tries to make good beer.