[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alternative options for auction league waiver system

NOSaint

My auction league uses a 200pt salary to select your team on draft day and it's all the points you get. We use a blind bid process to acquire free agents. If you acquire a player for the amount you bid for him, you have to drop someone from your roster to free up the salary needed. My arguement to my league is that it is highly restrictive in that you're essentially handcuffed on what you can do. What winds up happening every year, is that a handful of mediocre players just keep cycling from team to team. I'm just looking for a way to free things up a bit. Any thoughts or ideas?

It's not so much a matter of free agent quality as it is our free agent system. We have 18 man rosters with 12 teams in the league and year in and year out, there's a handful of free agents that emerge as quality fantasy players. Only problem is, and anyone that's familiar with an auction knows, is that nearing the middle to end of an auction, players start going for cheap and ultimately the last few go for 1pt. What happens now is to acquire someone worthy from free agency, is you have to drop a handful of your players to acquire him. I know it is what is and its the same for everyone, it's just so restrictive.

No, it's not required but it's just common to spend all your points. No doubt that could be a strategy to save a few points for free agency, but the free agent market is sometimes hot, sometimes cold. That extra salary I kept from the draft doesn't do me any good if it takes until week 5 for an impact player to emerge. That's the exact arguement I get from most in the league, is that you strategize to pick a quality team to begin with and if I'm so worried about free agents, save some money from the draft. I don't disagree with everyone as to what purpose our setup serves, I personally just don't like the setup. If you draft bad, your season is in serious jeopardy. I guess I'm going to have to adapt and deal with it. It's by no means worth quitting over. I certainly appreciate your responses too.