[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crabtree

Outshined

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody anywhere on team Crabtree in this debate? It seems pretty obvious that the guy is getting some horrible advice from his agent who is just stroking Crabtree's ego and telling him how much more money he should be worth. If he sits the entire season and re-enters next year's draft, I could almost guarantee there is no way he would be drafted higher than he was this season. He'll end up with an even smaller contract and he'll have made zero money this year.

I don't get why people get so upset at this situation. (I can understand why a SFO fan would be irked.)

Its a job. He wants to be paid a certain amount of money. His potential employer doesn't want to pay that amount of money. So Crabtree doesn't work.

Other than to perhaps his family, Crabtree doesn't owe anything to anybody when it comes to playing for the Niners. So what if he doesn't play? It's his choice. Just like its the Niners' choice not to sign him.

I saw this kind of thing with respect to Barry Sanders.

Exactly. And I'm not sold that it's just this contract, from what I've read.

Let's say you're the best truck driver there is. Always early with loads, never an accident, never a ticket, always plan your routes well, and have a record of below-average fuel consumption. Why would you go to work for a company that uses mainly rail transport, and all you're doing is local from the warehouse to the train depot?

Kinda the same for Crabtree, IMO. This contract slot might be OK, but in 3-4 years, he's not convinced his talents will be showcased well enough to earn that big payday he wants. If Singletary had his way he'd never throw the ball. And none of the QB's on that roster have that much ability either. So I can see it. It's his future, not mine.

And as for the whining about "this economy" blah blah blah - then put your money where your mouth is and go help someone less well off than you. There's always someone.

Why wouldn't the 49er's just trade his rights for a some picks next year. To a team like the Jets or Ravens...

Unless the 49ers are willing to trade him cheap, I don't see why any team would want him. If it's going to cost a 1st and a big, fat contract I think most teams would rather go after Boldin, Edwards or even Marshall.

This has to be on crabtree. If he wanted to play, he would be in uniform.

Not bad for a rookie contract...4 mil per year :wacko: . That would be really funny if he sat out the year and got drafted in the late 1st or 2nd round next year.

link

Trade him to Oakland. They would certainly be willing to give up a few first rounders for a ditch head who won't even sign. They might even throw in a few seconds if he does report.

Why would you go to work for a company that uses mainly rail transport, and all you're doing is local from the warehouse to the train depot?

Yea, well, this isn't a trucking company. It's the NFL and it's the only company in town.

The kid is a moron. The way he is going, he won't play this year and lose an accrued season towards FA.

The 49ers can't trade his rights anymore, so he is stuck with them until the 2010 draft. If he goes back into the draft pool, he'll be taken MUCH later after guys like Dez Bryant. Why would a team take him in the first when he's been sitting out a year and they have no recent tape/scouting info? How does he know the next team will be a better situation anyway?

And you gotta figure that his rookie year won't be that impressive, since WRs need time to develop. Plus there might be a lockout, so that's another lost season in 2011. What if he gets injured again? He'll probably be wishing that he took the 49ers first offer with the bigger signing bonus in that case.

The guys on Sirius NFL radio have the right idea that the 49ers should shave 1/16th off the offer for each week he misses.

He'll end up with an even smaller contract and he'll have made zero money this year.
Not to mention that he'll be a year removed from any real experience and every NFL team will know that he's still going to want to be paid as a top 10 2009 receiver despite being drafted later in the 2010 draft.

Exactly. And I'm not sold that it's just this contract, from what I've read.

Let's say you're the best truck driver there is. Always early with loads, never an accident, never a ticket, always plan your routes well, and have a record of below-average fuel consumption. Why would you go to work for a company that uses mainly rail transport, and all you're doing is local from the warehouse to the train depot?

Kinda the same for Crabtree, IMO. This contract slot might be OK, but in 3-4 years, he's not convinced his talents will be showcased well enough to earn that big payday he wants. If Singletary had his way he'd never throw the ball. And none of the QB's on that roster have that much ability either. So I can see it. It's his future, not mine.

And as for the whining about "this economy" blah blah blah - then put your money where your mouth is and go help someone less well off than you. There's always someone.

Problem is that Crabtree has never done a thing in this league. Your analogy only works with underpaid guys who have proven it at THIS level. Crabtree maybe the next Andre Johnson... Better chance of him being the next Mike WIlliams though. You have to pay your dues before you pull stuff like this.

The niners have the choice of allowing Trabtree to participate in the combine, or making him sit it out. Zero chance he gets to compete at the combine, further dropping his draft status. Teams are going to look at what happened with Mike Williams sitting out for a year, then trying to compete at the NFL level. He's going to drop far. My question is this-- What happens when he falls to late in the first or early second and a team offers him half of what the Niners are offering? Is he going to holdout again, because surely he's worth 40 million, right? He's taking a very bold stance, and I predict and hope that he falls flat on his face. The game doesn't need him. He needs to realize he needs the game.

Unless the 49ers are willing to trade him cheap, I don't see why any team would want him. If it's going to cost a 1st and a big, fat contract I think most teams would rather go after Boldin, Edwards or even Marshall.

I don't think anyone will be willing to give up a first on Boldin after this season. He's a year older, and year more fragile. No one offered a first for Braylon during the off season either. Not sure why they'd do it now. And the Broncos are now talking extension with Marshall.

Why would a team take him in the first when he's been sitting out a year and they have no recent tape/scouting info? How does he know the next team will be a better situation anyway?

With the 10th pick in the 2005 NFL draft the Detroit Lions take Mike Williams ...

If Millen (or someone who "studied" under him) is in a front office it could happen. Doubtful, but possible.

I forgot that Gore was 3rd rounder and Marion Barber was a 4th rounder in that draft.

Well this isn't exactly like accepting a desk job at an accounting firm. While the players are not forced to sign with the team that drafted them, I think it is fair to say that it is expected. True or not, this just looks like a whiny kid that is mad that he wasn't the first receiver picked. .................... I agree, he was picked where he was picked, like Parcells always said you are what your record says you are and he was drafted where he was drafted. Who cares if HE thinks he was a top 5 talent. He was drafted where he was drafted.

there always seems to be one player a year to do this or close to it. I'm not opposed to putting ceilings on rookie contracts, a la the nba. This would prevent this type of situation from happening. Also, don't these college kids have something akin to a guidance counselor? Just someone to sit them down and say "listen, nimrod, theres a certain way to carry yourself now that you're about to go pro"? If Dungy wouldve gotten to Vick earlier, maybe hes still in atlanta. Most likely not, but i hope u pick up what i'm layin down. and yes, crabtree is a dick

Also, don't these college kids have something akin to a guidance counselor? Just someone to sit them down and say "listen, nimrod, theres a certain way to carry yourself now that you're about to go pro"?

He does... Problem is that it's Deon Sanders. Prime Time is setting him up for failure,.

Is he already wealthy or something? He's gambling $20,000,000 here. That alone is ridiculous. Does he really think he's going to recoup that amount of cash? Or is he just a ghetto thug who can't see past being "dissed"?

Supposedly, his agent fronted him a million...and rumour has it he's living in Deion's pool cabana :wacko: