[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your favorite Steakhouse - Chain

Perchoutofwater

No doubt Peter Lugers beats any chain steakhouse I've ever been too, but I still can't buy it as the best steakhouse in the United States. I've only been to the one in Brooklyn though and the last visit was marred by horrible service. Because our company COO loves it (and pays) I've eaten there twice since January and while good, I've had much better steaks in Chicago. In NYC, I think the Strip House is just as good as Peter Luger's, if not better.

I haven't been there in perhaps 10 years. Best steak I ever had was in Kansas City. Morton's was very good... but I had no clue how much $$$ it would cost! Went into one in Philly with sky and Nsab.... lemmee tell ya, that was NOT in the budget for my overnight Huddler trip to Philly! I nearly got mugged walking around at midnight looking for an ATM after that chow down. I found it a bit pretentious as well... I prefer a more casual atmosphere. I want to relax and have a great steak... and don't need to be waited on hand and foot.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Ditka's they serve Hidden Valley Ranch on their salads for chrissakes!! :D

gasp

:wacko: You're a vegetarian, aren't you

Completely agree. Get the meat at Costco

:D:D

You're kidding I hope-? Costco steaks blow.

I can't remember the last time I went to a steakhouse either, but when I have, I almost always got a very good steak.

I also doubt most can cook a steak better than the better steakhouses (esp as consistently) but we can't admit that :D

Anyway I vote Ruth Chris, even though it's overpriced. Outback atmosphere/clientele blows but the 1 time I ate there I had a good steak.

I've never been to Topeka but hear it's very good.

Edited by BeeR

I can't afford those places so I'm a big fan of Texas Roadhouse (not the Brown Derby joint)

I'm not a big fan of steakhouses since I cook my own better, but she loves Texas Roadhouse so we eat there when we want a steak out.

My bro-in-law is a franchise owner of Flemings and they aren't bad. They cook a pretty good steak but are twice as expensive as anywhere else. The same people that own Outback own Flemings Steakhouses. Outback steaks are decent for the money and Flemings are better cuts of meat, but not THAT much better.

We usually stick with Texas Roadhouse. They did open a new "Longhorns" the other week. Haven't tried it yet. It looks like a chain.

meh--maybe steakhouse chefs/cooks can grill a steak better than me, maybe not.

I buy my steaks from my butcher, not from a grocery/mega market. They are always 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. I can usually get NY strip for $10-$15 per pound. 4 steaks = (at most) about $60. Salad, home made onion rings, and maybe another side and the meal, for four people, comes in at around $100. Let's not compare the costs of beer/wine in a restaurant vs what I pay in a store.

Given all this, I don't see a time I ever order a steak out again. If I'm going to pay serious coin for a meal, I want something that I don't cook well or can't cook myself.

Texas Roadhouse or Logan's for affordability. Not a whole lot of options for steakhouses in the area though. Neither chain can come even close to the best steak I had a few years ago at <a href="http://www.saltislandrestaurant.com/">Salt Island</a> on International Drive in Orlando. I had a massive 32oz porterhouse that just melted in your mouth.

Steak On A Stone will be opening shortly

co-worker's been to one of the other locations. I am gonna try it out. I'm sure this isn't an original idea so any of you been to one like it?

So you pay, possibly at a premium, to cook your own steak? :wacko: I'll put it up there with The Melting Pot as places that I don't want to visit if I want others to cook.

meh--maybe steakhouse chefs/cooks can grill a steak better than me, maybe not.

I buy my steaks from my butcher, not from a grocery/mega market. They are always 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. I can usually get NY strip for $10-$15 per pound. 4 steaks = (at most) about $60. Salad, home made onion rings, and maybe another side and the meal, for four people, comes in at around $100. Let's not compare the costs of beer/wine in a restaurant vs what I pay in a store.

Given all this, I don't see a time I ever order a steak out again. If I'm going to pay serious coin for a meal, I want something that I don't cook well or can't cook myself.

Same here. My local butcher (very local - hole in the wall kind of joint) always has something very good behind the counter. Their special is usually a bacon wrapped filet they call a "Las Vegas Steak." They're cut at 12-16 oz and impress the hell out of everyone I've ever cooked one for. Few steak houses can match the tenderness/flavor combo these steaks offer - and I've eaten at a lot of nice places.

The NY strips and ribeyes I get from the same place are also a cut above and are darn hard to screw up - they're just that good. I believe that will a little effort, most anyone can find a jewel of a butcher not too far from home. Good meat is nearly a religion to some people - they hear the call from the meat gods and answer with a lifetime of servitude to USDA Prime.

Besides, I get a tremendous amount of joy for cooking for freinds and family - something I never get no matter how good the restaurant is. :wacko:

I also doubt most can cook a steak better than the better steakhouses (esp as consistently) but we can't admit that :wacko:

Perhaps not, but I can consistently cook a damn good steak for about 1/10 the price.

The same people that own Outback own Flemings Steakhouses.

? Flemings is owned by Peter Fleming (who also did PF Changs etc). Outback is not owned by him.

Perhaps not, but I can consistently cook a damn good steak for about 1/10 the price.

Hear ya. I haven't had a steak out in years either, mostly for similar reasons.

? Flemings is owned by Peter Fleming (who also did PF Changs etc). Outback is not owned by him.

Sure it is. Also, Bonefish Grill and Carrabba's is part of it as well. It all merged or some corporate BS a few years back. Yes, the same guy that started PF Changs also started Flemings, but they've since brought in Outback under the same umbrella.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m319...9/ai_n13479725/

Only reason I know this is because my bro-in-law has a company card that gets you $100 free food per outing at the places they own so we flip-flop on special occassions between these places.

Edited by TimC

Chains rarely serve the best steak in town. With regards to Portland, however, a chain might be it: El Gaucho. Not nationwide, just NW, but it fits the criteria.

When I think of all the top steakhouses I've been to, none have been chain restaurants though. Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Bay Area, Atlanta, Tampa all have great steakhouses. None are part of chains.

Wifes favorite spot - awesome food. Go a few times a year. I heard there was one in seattle, no?

BTW< LawDawg, ever gone to Nells in SEA? awesome....just awesome.

Wifes favorite spot - awesome food. Go a few times a year. I heard there was one in seattle, no?

Absolutely. I believe it was started in Seattle. In the area, there is one downtown, in Bellevue, and in Tacoma. I believe the only other one is in Portland.

I haven't tried Nell's. I'll have to put it on my list of places to hit.

yep - the original location (since re-done) is in Seattle on 1st Ave - simply a great night out - fantastic steaks and a kick ass ambiance, atmosphere inside - really cool spot that blows any other steakhouse-vibe out of the water.

That being said, the one I do go to about once or twice a year is Old Homestead. By far my favorite, though 2 locations doesn't really make it a chain.

Don't know if I'd call it a chain, but is my new favorite in AC.

Around the country, we've always had a fine steak at The Capital Grille.

Also tried Davio's N Italy Steak House in Phila - awesome steak!

Sure it is. Also, Bonefish Grill and Carrabba's is part of it as well. It all merged or some corporate BS a few years back. Yes, the same guy that started PF Changs also started Flemings, but they've since brought in Outback under the same umbrella.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m319...9/ai_n13479725/

Only reason I know this is because my bro-in-law has a company card that gets you $100 free food per outing at the places they own so we flip-flop on special occassions between these places.

Thx for info/correction.

Nice bennie. THEN I'd be hitting the steakhouses. :wacko:

i don't go to steak houses. they are just not very original to me. last friday in vegas a friend and i (one of darin's friends) went to smith & wollensky and they did a wonderfull job. very happy with the meal, wine and service. still hard for me to justify going.

My local one has it's own butcher and the steaks are great.

You can get pretty good meat at the local Sam's Club here. For great meat you have to go to a real butchershop as Sam's and Cosco just don't carry much in the way of "prime" beef.