[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

KP's Raider Report

kpholmes

Every year I have written a Raider Report before the season's fantasy drafts.

I strive to give an unbiased and reasonable assessment of the Oakland Raiders and the state of their franchise in hopes that it will help my fellow Huddlers prepare for the season.

For the first time in several years this year, I was unable to bring myself to write about the Raiders.

I won't lie to you, going into this season I was at the end of my rope with this franchise.

I have been angry and resentful as not just a fan of the Raiders, but a football fan in general.

I know I speak for myself as well as many other Raider fans when I say that after tonight, we have something to believe in again.

I know many of you don't like the Raiders. I know many of you don't respect the Raiders. And I know for most people, it's just fun to see the Raiders struggle and fail. That's fine. I understand that; I understand that it is part of the culture and history of this game and is probably going to keep being as such for a long, long time.

I also know that a lot of opinions about the Raiders stem from their fans; many of which are lower class Oakland thugs, or horrific looking bearded men in the Black Hole. Please know that these people do not represent all Raider fans. Some of us are normal people who don't dress up and demonstrate the desire to shank opposing fans. There are some Raider fans who are knowledgeable in regards to the game of football, and realistic in their expectations of their team.

Since we lost the Superbowl, we have had absolutely no light at the end of the tunnel.

We've had some stars with our franchise: Randy Moss, Charles Woodson, Kirk Morrison, Darren McFadden, Nnamdi Asomugha, etc... but most of the time we just end up feeling bad for them because their talent will never be appreciated on such a crappy team.

The Superbowl appearance itself was simply just a mediocre offensive coordinator riding the coat tails of John Gruden's foundation.

But trading Gruden was not the first of our heavy blows - losing to him was. After that loss, the Raiders embarked on a very painful journey.

For those of you who are a little fuzzy, let me give you a quick recap of our team over the past seven years:

• We have had zero consistency in the locker room. In seven years we have been coached by Callahan, Turner, Shell, Kiffin, Cable...
  • Fundamentally, we have been pitiful, leading the league in sacks and penalties for several of those years.
  • Our quarterbacks have been the likes of Rick Mirer, Marques Tuiasosopo, Andrew Walter, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Daunte Cullpepper, Josh McCown and Jamarcus Russell.
  • We have completely thrown away high draft picks on Phillip Buchanon, Tyler Brayton, Robert Gallerty (and moving him out of position), Fabian Washington, Michael Huff (and moving him out of position), Heyward-Bey, Mike Mitchell, not to mention later round picks...
  • We have overpaid some of the league's premiere crappy talent in Javon Walker, Tommy Kelly, DeAngello Hall, Gibril Wilson, Robert Gallery, Jamarcus Russell, and Heyward-Bey
  • After giving a first for Moss, we then traded him for a third round pick. After spending a first on Fabian Washington, we dealt him for a fourth. As if his contract wasn't big enough, we also wasted a second round pick on DeAngello Hall.
  • This list goes on and on. And I'm entirely sure I left some things out.

As if those things in themselves were not enough, unfortunately they have all shared a similar source - Al Davis.

Al Davis is a great man who has done great things for the NFL. Unfortunately his time has long past him - he is now a senile and witty old man who believes that he can still win football games like he did in the glory days: with the tangibles in a player. He wants players who go all out for him, and coaches who do what he says and don't question. He is the root of all of these problems, and until he steps down the Raiders will never be able to flourish as a franchise.

Last off-season, for the first time I began to contemplate my future with the Raiders organization. I wondered if maybe it was time to just let it go and walk away. After sticking it out for another year, I found these thoughts returning on draft day, becoming more serious when allegations against Tom Cable were made, and after the embarrassing pre-season loss to New Orleans, I thought it was just about time...

I started writing a letter to Al Davis pending my resignation as a Raider Fan. I went into detail on every one of these points I've made and really explored the implosion of the franchise within the past decade. The letter came out to be several pages long, and I left it saved on my computer for a few days so I could think. It isn't easy letting your team go, even if they are the Raiders.

Before I got back to it, the Raiders traded their 2011 first round pick for Richard Seymour. A soon to be 30 year old defensive end for a pick two years down the road seemed like another terrible decision on Al Davis' part. When I heard that Seymour didn't even want to join the Raiders, I was quick to jump right back into my letter to Davis and add one more thing to the list... but decided to wait and see how it played out. I assumed we would end up agreeing to not franchise him, or give him a salary that would put him financially between between Jared Allen and Albert Haynesworth - which still isn't out of the question mind you. (Somewhere between 6-8 years and $60-100 Million... far too much for a 30 year old)

And then Seymour showed up, and I watched his press conference, and I was thoroughly impressed. He handled himself like a professional and he made it clear that he wanted to be a Raider, and he wanted to help turn things around. He made positive comments when the reporters were skeptical, and really came off as genuine and sincere.

It was at that point that I began to rethink my initial negativity towards the trade... here we are getting a defensive end who will not only help our defense, but will use his Superbowl win experience (x3) to provide the leadership and guidance that this young defense needs.

So I said - to hell with it, I'll give them one more game.

To be honest, I don't care that we lost tonight.

For the first 59 minutes of that football game, we outplayed the San Diego Chargers. I hate everything about him, but Phillip Rivers played a solid 4th quarter and beat us underneath. My hat's off to him and the San Diego offense.

Our offensive line looked solid, our offense had some great rhythm, and our defense was looking fast and skilled. Richard Seymour got himself two sacks and everything seemed to be falling into place. Sure there were mistakes on both sides of the ball, but if you've ever watched a Raider game from start to finish in the last seven years - this was a different team on the field tonight.

I said before the game Bush/DMC needed to have 40 carries and Russell had to throw less than 20 times to win.

When it was all said and done, Bush/DMC had 29 carries and Russell threw 30 times, a little too much throwing for my comfort.

It has been and will continue to be my opinion until he proves otherwise, that Jamarcus Russell is not the answer at quarterback. From what he's shown, he is a passer who is capable of controlling the game, and not winning it. Tonight we saw a different side of Jamarcus, despite his poor stats. But he still has a long way to go to prove he's a #1 pick in my book.

Tonight showed me and many other Raider fans that the culture in Oakland is changing.

I'm sure Return of S&B and Vatican Hitsquad will agree, the mentality is developing. The fundamentals are in place. The leadership is there. And things are finally starting to come together in Oakland.

Will they go 8-8 like Herm Edwards predicted? Probably not, but it could happen. Even if they don't, as long as they keep playing like they did tonight, I'll be happy.

Al Davis will continue to pull the strings for now. But the pieces would appear to be in place, and tonight was a big step for the morality of the Raider Nation.

Many of you will continue to belittle the Raiders' franchise and organization simply because they are the Raiders. I understand that having a massively-hated team is important to organized sports, whether they're winning or losing (The U, Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys, etc...)

However, whether you hate the Raiders or love them, tonight they showed something to the NFL.

And what I saw on the field tonight will be enough to get me through one more season of Raider football...

...but in the words of every fantasy football player - It's only Week 1

KP, that is a fantastic post that really grabs at us Raider fans who have been feeling like JOB the lat few years, especially me. I agree with every single sentiment and point. Although I never drafted a letter, and wasn't about to ditch them this year, I was frustrated t a point I have never been. This was the worst I've felt in a long time.

But I stayed up and watched that entire game (I am on the East Coast). I haven't been that excited for the team in a long time. I've been excited over a few victories the passed few years, but not for the team. Last night watching that game, I felt like we turned a corner. We looked like a young team with talent, on the verge of getting good. Not great... but good. Good is something we haven't been in a long long time. Last night, we were supposed to get schlacked. Instead, we stood toe-to-toe with the Chargers and at times we looked great, other times we looked really inexperienced, but never bad... not even after that final TD by SD (awesome final drive on their part), did I feel angry or depressed.

When that game ended, I was upset... but not angry. I have spent all morning thinking about last nights game trying to figure out how i felt about that game, and I can't help to think (for Raider fans), that it was a "good" loss. I know, no loss is a good loss... for us, there is a such thing. We showed a lot of promise, growing skills and toughness. I am actually looking forward to next weeks game and the season, without an ounce of dread. Could we have blown our load last night? Maybe, I just don't think so. I think given the chance (meaning no tampering by Al), we could be on the right path to being a respectable franchise again.

Again, well said KP.

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

If the Raiders hung on to Garcia and trotted him out there instead of Russell... or, even if the Raiders threw Gradkowski out there, I can definitely see an 8-8 team based on how they showed up week 1.

On Seymour... if he can stay healthy, the 1st round pick 2 years from now is a steal. If he can stay healthy, you have exactly what you saw last night... a 5x Pro Bowler, 3x All-Pro, 3 Super Bowl. Big IFs but worth a shot for almost any organization.

As a Falcons homer I loved the 2010 2nd rounder for a 33 year old TE. These guys are worth the risk when you consider slotted rookie contracts and the fact that no draft pick is a sure thing.

Edited by kingfish247

I haven't felt this excited at a raider game in a long time. We actually stood a chance against a division rival, who is arguably the best in our division. If we continue playing like we did, we might pull in second in our division behind San Diego. And I'm reminded of the old days, where the Raider D made teams fear them, because they knew that if they got out there, they would get hit hard and the Chargers O-line found that out the hard way. I'm actually excited to be a Raider Fan this year.

I was impressed with what Cable has done with the attitude and direction of the team, especially on the o-line. I think the Raiders are a young team with the talent to grow and contend in a few years, assuming they can maintain continuity. Eliminating the "thug culture" is part of what Cable wants to do and get back to being mean and nasty (there is a diff).

Despite the time of possession and apparent "domination" of the Raiders in the first half, there was WAY too much showboating in a game that was tied and so close on the scoreboard. It detracted from the effort and is distracting to team mates when after a routine tackle, you go bee-boppin down field for thirty yards before returning to the huddle. That is a matter of staying focused and disciplined which is clearly what the HC is trying to instill.

A young team, playing at home for season opener Monday Night Football clearly had the Raiders playing emotionally, and in my opinion, a little over their heads. I see improvement, but when you take the whole thing into perspective, the chemistry was right for a young team to pull an upset over a more talented/experienced one (it almost happened in the game before to the Pats). There are not many blow-outs in this division in "the Black Hole". It is a tough venue to play in and even during this streak, the Chargers can struggle there at times.

The Chargers looked flat and were definitely not at the same intensity level to start the game. The D came out with some goofy 4-man front look and got pushed all over the field in the first half. The nob-slobbers in the booth kept talking about the domination well into the third period, ignoring that the Chargers had made the adjustments and forced three, three-and-outs. This game is almost a repeat of what happened last year in Oakland and I was not really surprised by the game in many aspects.

The flash touchdown on fourth and 15 was inexcusable (which was a gutsy call I respected the hell out of!), but Rivers showed that this is his team and he is an elite QB in the league. He has done this regularly now. The talk today won't be how amazing his fourth quarter was with two O-line down and the others playing out of position. They won't talk about standing in the face of pressure going 10-12 for 144 in the fourth, delivering two TD drives in crunch time including the 89-yard drive with 2 1/2 left where he went 6-7 for 76 yards. The talk is "escaping" with a win they didn't deserve, while the Pats "found a way to win" under the guidance of Brady the God.

Truth be told. The Boltz hung in, stayed close in an adverse environment against a very emotionally hyped team and put it away at the end, despite the almost fatal mistake on the fourth down and pulled it out at the end. Also, Russell sucks. Garcia or a handful of other journeymen QBs would have lead the Raider to a win.

And as for the Raiders getting "Hochulied"... :wacko: The rules are the rules. Maintain possession even after contact with the ground. He didn't, ball came out (was bobbled and touched the ground while not in total control of the receiver), incomplete. I would have been OK if the play stood, it was close and a great effort. All other things equal, the game goes to OT with that TD instead of the FG. The Raiders were struggling moving the ball late and the Bolts were driving almost at will. Better chance the Chargers would have one that in OT had it gone there. :D That game changed complexions and very few noticed.

All in all, a tense game as a Charger fan that leaves many questions for the upcoming games. It also shows that teams can start to recover, even when at the demise of the Ice Cream Man and there is plenty to look forward to in Raider Nation in the coming years.

Great post KP

Although I dont get that excited over Raider games anymore, this one kept me up till 1:30am (East Coaster as well).

I was happy with the defense and how they played with aggression. I hadnt seen in a Raider defensive line play like that since the Raiders had Long, Townshend, and Pickel on the line (that's mid 80s to early 90s folks). The secondary looked great as well. Only the LBs were mediocre...but that can be covered up with great line and secondary play and the right defensive scheme.

Although we outplayed them, San Diego still won. But, if the Raiders play like they did Monday Night the rest of the season they have a shot to finish 8-8 this season...a huge improvement over anything we've seen since 2002.

Now hopefully Cable continues to emphasize the running game and give the ball to Bush and McFadden the rest of the year.

what's the rule?

caught pass with 2 feet touching the ground should be a TD right there. i think that should overrule anything else. otherwise someone open could catch a TD and a DB can run over and tackle him when hes unaware and its a incomplete?

To be honest I don't really care. The way the official ruled it, it made sense - but I don't necessarily agree with it.

I feel like after calling the TD, the evidence would have to be indisputable, and I don't entirely feel like it was.

Like I said, It wasn't about the loss or the win for me this weekend.

Like the Tuck, it was a correct call but a judgement call. And like the Tuck, we still could have won the game AFTER the call, but we didn't stop the Offense from driving long two times after the call.

I don't agree with it, but it's not why we lost the game and I hope not a single player in that locker room is looking at that call as any reason why they lost.

From what he's shown, he is a passer who is capable of controlling the game, and not winning it. Tonight we saw a different side of Jamarcus, despite his poor stats. But he still has a long way to go to prove he's a #1 pick in my book.

He is horrible, who cares if he can throw it 80 yards when the only receiver he can get the ball within 5 yards of is Miller. The only thing he looked good doing Monday night was lead blocking throwing defenders out of the way. I would really like to see Jeff Garcia leading this team...

Despite the loss, great to see the Raiders show (more than) some life on MNF.

I'm in a super deep league where we have to start two defenses and get significant scoring points both for defensive points (sacks, fum,int,etc...) and points allowed.

I'm considering dropping Arizona for the Raiders, am I crazy?

The flash touchdown on fourth and 15 was inexcusable (which was a gutsy call I respected the hell out of!), but Rivers showed that this is his team and he is an elite QB in the league. He has done this regularly now. The talk today won't be how amazing his fourth quarter was with two O-line down and the others playing out of position. They won't talk about standing in the face of pressure going 10-12 for 144 in the fourth, delivering two TD drives in crunch time including the 89-yard drive with 2 1/2 left where he went 6-7 for 76 yards. The talk is "escaping" with a win they didn't deserve, while the Pats "found a way to win" under the guidance of Brady the God.

Most quarterbacks can make a drive like that when your linebackers are dropping back 10-15 yards. You give him too much credit I think. And Brady gets too much credit as well, the only reason it was ever close was from the lucky fumble that they got. They should be thanking their Special Teams, not Brady.