[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 1 doesn't mean much?

Slugs3511

:wacko: Well, that being said, how many of you are not too worried about your team....

Here's my scenerio....I have played fantasy football for fourteen years now, I remember when we used newspapers for stats, and the commish sent out 4-5 pages a week to each owner. My, how times have changed....

I have only one one championship but have made the top 8 and the playoffs 12 of 14 years, so I have pretty solid squads and have really benefited from the waiver wire and, barring injury, week 1 is very important....

Who do you think, as I scored the least points this weeks, will make the most impact as an undrafted player this year....

Let's narrow this down to RBs and WRs.....

RBS: Too name a few.....Caddy, Mewelde, Faulk,

WRS: Bennett, Gage, Britt, or others....

Let's get this one going...

I am notorious for over-reacting early in the season, and I have tried to improve that impulse over the last several years. I cant tell you how many players I drafted ended up productive players on someone else's roster by the end of the year by one way or another. I have made a pledge to myself to sit tight this year, regardless of whatever happens.

That being said, I have Delhomme as a backup in both my leagues and Steve Smith in one, and I'm nervous about it. Delhomme has looked so bad in his last 2 games that I think it is a legitimate concern that he might have actually lost it.

Weeks 2 - 5 are the most critical in FF for not doing something stoopid. Reason? It's WAY too easy to make a knee jerk reaction and drop the wrong guy because of 1 or 2 bad weeks.

That being said.... weeks 2-5 are also prime times to take advantage of a stud who isn't performing... every league has an owner who isn't happy with this guy or that..... say AJohnson has another bummer week and Houston looks bad...... you may be able to package a WR like Burleson and a tier 2 RB to get a guy like Johnson... sure there is risk involved, but something to think about.

In your situation I would take Caddy.... coaches must like what they see for them to sign Ward to the $$$ and then make Caddy the starter. If you pick up Caddy he might be worth something to the Ward owner too!

:wacko: Don't know if I'm wacko or not, but I have been bitten be over reaction bug lately in my last 2 years, I am holding onto my 4 RBs who are

Bush, FWP, Forte, and Bradshaw even though

Caddy, Fred Jackson, Bell, Bush, and others are out there...I am 1st on waivers on ppr league so I am going to scoop up Earl Bennett from the Bears and hope on getting Gage, Burleson, Stuckey or Clayton for Henry on the way back through waivers...

My Reason for holding onto FWP, the schedule.....

Cleveland twice, Cincy twice, and Detroit and others....It is soft and he has to perform better, right?

It had better not mean much or I'm toast:

QB Palmer/Garrard (single digits, Palmer started)

RB LT/Grant/Julius Jones/Ronnie Brown/Fred Taylor (Jones was good but on bench w/ LT/Grant start)

WR Calvin Johnson/Housh/Driver/Hixon (all 9pts and lower, Megatron and Housh started)

TE Carlson (this was sweet and basically kept me in the match until the end last night)

K Tynes (good)

DEF Pittsburgh (not so good)

10 teams, slightly modified performance (all TDs are 5), semi-ppr (not for rushing, but players get 3 points at every 5 receptions, no fractional).

That's all the roster spots I get. 8 starters with 14 spots, and we're required to keep 2 QB, 3 RB and 4 WR and TE/K/DEF. So I can't hang on to many extra players just hoping.

I'd rather not react too much to Week 1 stats, but at the lower end of these guys it might just make sense. I think Hixon is probably out, and I dunno whether to hang onto Taylor, that was just a last round flyer really, but it still could go somewhere. He did get the TD. Maybe Ronnie Brown is actually less useful. Argh. Guys like Mike Bell, Hightower (seriously, everyone in this league on Wells bandwagon I guess, incl me who wanted to draft him but waited too long), Caddy, Patrick Crayton, etc were undrafted. (We don't do waivers in Week 1.)

Edited by CrazyOne

On Pittsburgh, Parker/Moore/Mendenhall/etc: I'd say they will put anyone in there who they think will help. They can call Parker the starter if they want, but nobody really cares so long as they get the W. I wouldn't expect increase from Moore but stranger things have happened. Cincy and Cleveland twice should help, yeah, but they aren't always blowouts either.

Yesterday Randy Moss talked about being nervous on opening day and how players get the jitters and need to calm down. I have always felt like the best thing to do was sail through week one and make no adjustments except for fixing draft blunders where possible, and Randy made me feel right about that mindset.

Depends.... no, not my underwear protectors...

Take the NY-Hou game. Sanchez showed enough to be a reliable backup QB... while Schaub's dismal outing does not mean he isn't a FF starter.

Gore got squat for yardgae, but in the end he will get his. T Jones got off hot, and won't continue these FF #'s, but in the end, he will also get his, but he won't be a top 5 RB either.

Caddy Williams looks like the RB to have for TB. M Bush looks like a nice flex now. Forte will get catches... he just didn't get any in week 1.

Some things CAN be taken from week one... especially target distribution and RB carry spits. Don't take much of anything for WR TD's, but RB GL carries for TD's do mean something.

Some things can be taken from week 1, some things are anomolies, and some might shine some light on a nice sleeper gem. There is plenty that can be gotten from week 1, and other things that are smoke and mirrors. Which one is which? That's why we play this silly game... it's a challenge to make the right moves, wading through what happens week to week, attempting to predict, project and desipher trends, it's luck, and it's fun.

What is important from week 1? Figuring out what is real, what is smoke, and guessing correctly.