[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Owner: Jags will consider drafting Tebow in '10"

MonkeyOne

Just saw this SI article, with quotes from the Jag's owner.

...Weaver told The Associated Press this week that drafting Tebow, the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner who grew up in Jacksonville and has top-ranked Florida seeking its third national championship in four seasons, is something he will consider next year...

Never too early right?

Even though Tebow isn't a huge NFL prospect I would still want him on my football team. He's a natural born leader, and that's just something that can't be taught. This is coming from a UGA fan taboot. From what I've seen from him I don't see any reason he can't be successful at QB in the NFL. There's been some talk about him being a TE at the next level, but I just don't see it. Talk about a Wildcat QB.

I don't follow college ball enough to give an informed opinion on drafting Tebow in terms of a football decision, but as a business decision...man, let me tell you what. I live in Jax and Tebow ranks just below God and Jesus in this town. The ticket sales, merchandise sales, and marketing opportunities for the Jags would go through the roof if they drafted him, even if he only saw the field a few times a game in the Wildcat formations and on gimmick plays. From that standpoint, he would be a godsend because for a town that really doesn't have a whole lot else going on, the Jags are still a pretty annonymous franchise. We haven't had a true sports hero here since Brunell and Boselli's heydays. Even MJD, as great a player as he is, doesn't get anywhere near the type of media attention you would expect him to.

Edited by tomfin2000

I'll admit that I haven't watched Tebow too many times throughout his career, but for all the people that say he can't be an NFL quarterback, is his arm really worse than Shaun Hill, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia and the like? One thing I did pick up on watching him is that he absolutely has the "it" factor and I've got to believe that he could be a legit starter in the NFL in the right system.

Tebow , while a magnificent college player , will NOT be an NFL QB. While I do believe he is a great enough athlete and football player that he will play in the NFL , just not as a QB. While he may have the "it" factor, he does not have the arm or accuracy to QB at the next level.

Here's an idea, draft the best players to help your team, regardless of name or pedigree. Putting a perennial SB contender on the field year in and year out will sell more tickets than a college QB who is famous now but doesn't pan out as an elite NFL passer. If the experts are right and he doesn't have the tools and the Jags reach for him and blow a ton of money, they set their franchise back for years.

It is troubling to say the least that they are talking about the '10 draft after week 1.

Here's an idea, draft the best players to help your team, regardless of name or pedigree. Putting a perennial SB contender on the field year in and year out will sell more tickets than a college QB who is famous now but doesn't pan out as an elite NFL passer. If the experts are right and he doesn't have the tools and the Jags reach for him and blow a ton of money, they set their franchise back for years.

It is troubling to say the least that they are talking about the '10 draft after week 1.

Um, it's not like the Jags suck or anything. Not nearly enough to deserve the fact that nobody shows up for the games. There are a lot of teams that are perennially less competitive than they are who draw better, so maybe it's time to take a flier on the hometown kid.

I follow the Gators pretty closely and have watched most of the games since Tebow started playing. I'll admit that I'm not hugely confident about his NFL prospects but I think that he has a better chance than people give him. The reason he doesn't pass as often as many other top college QBs is because he is playing to win the game as a team. He is a very talented runner and in the college game, blending the run in so often helps win games. Colt McCoy had 433 attempts, Sam Bradford had 483, Chase Daniel had 528, Mark Sanchez had 366 and Stafford had 383. Most people would consider those QBs as elite in 2008. Tebow only had 298. He did, however, had the fourth best QB rating, a total of four interceptions and 9.2 yards per attempt which is higher than all of the above save Sam Bradford.

When Tebow does throw, he makes very few mistakes, is sacked very infrequently, and is accurate whether it is a long ball or a six yard checkdown.

I expect to see a lot more passing from Tebow this season. In game one he went 25 for 39 for 425 yards and 5 TD. Granted this was against a cupcake team but it was also in two and a half quarters. Compare this to their 56 to 10 seasoning opening win over Hawaii in '08 where he was 9/14 for 137 and one.

I'm not saying this thinking to convince doubters because this year will speak volumes about his NFL prospects. Really there is enough hate for Florida and enough Florida QBs that were busts in the NFL that I don't think anything he does this year will convince plenty of people. I personally think he will surprise some people this year with his stats through the air and with his performance as an NFL QB.

I follow the Gators pretty closely and have watched most of the games since Tebow started playing. I'll admit that I'm not hugely confident about his NFL prospects but I think that he has a better chance than people give him. The reason he doesn't pass as often as many other top college QBs is because he is playing to win the game as a team. He is a very talented runner and in the college game, blending the run in so often helps win games. Colt McCoy had 433 attempts, Sam Bradford had 483, Chase Daniel had 528, Mark Sanchez had 366 and Stafford had 383. Most people would consider those QBs as elite in 2008. Tebow only had 298. He did, however, had the fourth best QB rating, a total of four interceptions and 9.2 yards per attempt which is higher than all of the above save Sam Bradford.

When Tebow does throw, he makes very few mistakes, is sacked very infrequently, and is accurate whether it is a long ball or a six yard checkdown.

I expect to see a lot more passing from Tebow this season. In game one he went 25 for 39 for 425 yards and 5 TD. Granted this was against a cupcake team but it was also in two and a half quarters. Compare this to their 56 to 10 seasoning opening win over Hawaii in '08 where he was 9/14 for 137 and one.

I'm not saying this thinking to convince doubters because this year will speak volumes about his NFL prospects. Really there is enough hate for Florida and enough Florida QBs that were busts in the NFL that I don't think anything he does this year will convince plenty of people. I personally think he will surprise some people this year with his stats through the air and with his performance as an NFL QB.

I just don't buy that his arm is less than a Jeff Garthia or Shaun Hill. In the right system he should be able to be a good player. Only time will tell though.

Um, it's not like the Jags suck or anything. Not nearly enough to deserve the fact that nobody shows up for the games. There are a lot of teams that are perennially less competitive than they are who draw better, so maybe it's time to take a flier on the hometown kid.

5-11 last year, that pretty much does suck. In this economy, relatively new team and no marquis players, not surprising they don't sell out. My only point is they should scout him like they would any other player and don't move him up their board just because he's a local celebrity. Next year's draft is going to be loaded with good QBs, probably at least two or three better than Tebow.

5-11 last year, that pretty much does suck. In this economy, relatively new team and no marquis players, not surprising they don't sell out. My only point is they should scout him like they would any other player and don't move him up their board just because he's a local celebrity. Next year's draft is going to be loaded with good QBs, probably at least two or three better than Tebow.

Their last 5 years:

9-7

12-4

8-8

11-5

5-11

That doesn't suck. That's not the Patriot or the Colts, but that doesn't suck. In fact, you have to think that puts them in the top half of the league in terms of total wins. More importantly, that's certainly not bad enough that it should be thought of as a reason for losing it's fan base.

Their last 5 years:

9-7

12-4

8-8

11-5

5-11

That doesn't suck. That's not the Patriot or the Colts, but that doesn't suck. In fact, you have to think that puts them in the top half of the league in terms of total wins. More importantly, that's certainly not bad enough that it should be thought of as a reason for losing it's fan base.

In most cities you would be right, but Jacksonville is not historically an NFL city. They don't have the decades of history and multiple generations of fans like most other cities. Thus they don't have enough fans who closely identify with the team and will keep going to games in the lean years. Plus as I look at that roster.... :wacko:

In most cities you would be right, but Jacksonville is not historically an NFL city. They don't have the decades of history and multiple generations of fans like most other cities. Thus they don't have enough fans who closely identify with the team and will keep going to games in the lean years. Plus as I look at that roster.... :wacko:

That sort of proves my point more than it does yours. Unless your point is that all they need to do is simply become one of the 4-5 best teams in the league, rattle off a few SB championships, and never have losing seasons. However, that's much easier said than done.

So, they've tried to just take care of business and win more often than they lose. That's apparently not working. So maybe picking up a hometown kid who's a national media darling, and may, in fact end up being a great player. I mean, people talk so confidently about who's going to be great and who's going to suck despite the fact that the numbers show that nobody really has any freaking idea at all. There have been montages made of Mel Kiper lambasting teams for making obviously stupid picks because they passed up on this can't miss guy or that one only to find the dude he was hyping was dreck.

Now, maybe the only thing to do is move the franchise all together. I don't know. But the product on the field deserves more love than they get from their fans. Don't forget that they were also contenders in the late 90s as well. So implying that they just need to get better is not really a very valid argument.

I just don't buy that his arm is less than a Jeff Garthia or Shaun Hill. In the right system he should be able to be a good player. Only time will tell though.

PON , his drawback is not his lack of arm, its the rest of the QB package that the scouts do not believe he posseses.

That sort of proves my point more than it does yours. Unless your point is that all they need to do is simply become one of the 4-5 best teams in the league, rattle off a few SB championships, and never have losing seasons. However, that's much easier said than done.

So, they've tried to just take care of business and win more often than they lose. That's apparently not working. So maybe picking up a hometown kid who's a national media darling, and may, in fact end up being a great player. I mean, people talk so confidently about who's going to be great and who's going to suck despite the fact that the numbers show that nobody really has any freaking idea at all. There have been montages made of Mel Kiper lambasting teams for making obviously stupid picks because they passed up on this can't miss guy or that one only to find the dude he was hyping was dreck.

Now, maybe the only thing to do is move the franchise all together. I don't know. But the product on the field deserves more love than they get from their fans. Don't forget that they were also contenders in the late 90s as well. So implying that they just need to get better is not really a very valid argument.

My main point about Tebow is that they should be looking at the talent of all the QBs objectively, rather than giving his hometown status any weight. As you alluded, most college QBs drafted don't become big-time franchise NFL QBs. The wrong choice can cost a team tens of millions and set them back for years. It is for this reason that they should scout the hell out of these players based on how they play on the field and how their skills might translate into the NFL game. Mistakes will always be made, but the investment is too high to base the decision on anything other than potential on the field.

I don't watch enough college football to be an expert myself, but I've read some negatives about Tebow's arm and mechanics. I've also seen Bradford, McCoy and Snead ranked ahead of him. That's why this discussion at this stage should be a red flag for Jags fans -- we don't even know where they are going to pick next year or how these QBs will fare this season, and the owner is publicly getting enamored with one player. He should be aware that the short-term jump in ticket sales is going to dry up if Tebow busts, and the backlash is going to be severe if he reached for him when the rest of the world had the other QBs ranked higher -- even worse if one of them goes to a divisional opponent and becomes a star.

I'm kinda with PON here, though I don't think his arm is the question - it's his ability to take snaps under center and make pre-snap reads. The knocks I've seen are that he hasn't, but that doesn't equate to can't. Look at Vick, who took a bunch of snaps under center and is CLEARLY not smart enough to be an NFL passer. I think Tebow probably is, it's just that the system he's in doesn't lend itself to that. I'd look for a 30+ wonderlick from this kid and then draft him without reservations.

My main point about Tebow is that they should be looking at the talent of all the QBs objectively, rather than giving his hometown status any weight. As you alluded, most college QBs drafted don't become big-time franchise NFL QBs. The wrong choice can cost a team tens of millions and set them back for years. It is for this reason that they should scout the hell out of these players based on how they play on the field and how their skills might translate into the NFL game. Mistakes will always be made, but the investment is too high to base the decision on anything other than potential on the field.

I don't watch enough college football to be an expert myself, but I've read some negatives about Tebow's arm and mechanics. I've also seen Bradford, McCoy and Snead ranked ahead of him. That's why this discussion at this stage should be a red flag for Jags fans -- we don't even know where they are going to pick next year or how these QBs will fare this season, and the owner is publicly getting enamored with one player. He should be aware that the short-term jump in ticket sales is going to dry up if Tebow busts, and the backlash is going to be severe if he reached for him when the rest of the world had the other QBs ranked higher -- even worse if one of them goes to a divisional opponent and becomes a star.

Meh, if it's that big of a crap shoot, why shouldn't one of the primary considerations be putting asses in the seats? Personally, I'd worry more that Bradford is a system guy than Tebow, just looking at the measurables. But Bradford can certainly read a D. Except for a couple rare positions (RB and DE come to mind) many of the positions are a HUGH crap shoot. For every Ryan and Flacco you can come up with and Andre Bruce and Ryan Leaf. Oh, and a Tom Brady and Jesse Tuggle. So you do your diligence the best you can, but at it's root, it's all about the dollars.