[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Owner: Jags will consider drafting Tebow in '10"

MonkeyOne

Jags first round picks:

1998 Fred Taylor 9th overall

1998: Donovan Darius 25th overall

1999 Fernando Bryant 26th overall

2000 R. Jay Soward 29th overall

2001 Marcus Stroud 13 overall

2002 John Henderson 9th overall

2003 Byron Leftwich 7th overall

2004 Reggie Williams 9th overall

2005 Matt Jones 21st overall

2006 Mercedes Lewis 28th overall

2007 Reggie Nelson 21st overall

2008 Derrick Harvey 8th overall

2009 Eugene Monroe 8th overall

Terrible drafting is why they don't have a good team or fans. And they draft Florida players anyways. Bolded players above went to Florida. Looks like Tim Tebow would fit right in.

Edited by CaptainHook

Jags first round picks:

2000 R. Jay Soward 29th overall

2001 Marcus Stroud 13 overall

2002 John Henderson 9th overall

2003 Byron Leftwich 7th overall

2004 Reggie Williams 9th overall

2005 Matt Jones 21st overall

2006 Mercedes Lewis 28th overall

2007 Reggie Nelson 21st overall

2008 Derrick Harvey 8th overall

2009 Eugene Monroe 8th overall

Terrible drafting is why they don't have a good team or fans. And they draft Florida players anyways. Both bolded players above went to Florida. So did Fred Taylor, their first round pick in 1998. Looks like Tim Tebow would fit right in.

You seem to be speaking negatively about Tim Tebow. Have fun in Hell.

Jags first round picks:

1998 Fred Taylor 9th overall (solid pro, still in league)

1998: Donovan Darius 25th overall (solid pro)

1999 Fernando Bryant 26th overall (serviceable)

2000 R. Jay Soward 29th overall (bust)

2001 Marcus Stroud 13 overall (made probowl)

2002 John Henderson 9th overall (made probowl)

2003 Byron Leftwich 7th overall (injury certainly didn't help)

2004 Reggie Williams 9th overall (bust)

2005 Matt Jones 21st overall (bust)

2006 Mercedes Lewis 28th overall (not bad)

2007 Reggie Nelson 21st overall (too early to say)

2008 Derrick Harvey 8th overall (too early to say)

2009 Eugene Monroe 8th overall (too early to say)

Terrible drafting is why they don't have a good team or fans. And they draft Florida players anyways. Bolded players above went to Florida. Looks like Tim Tebow would fit right in.

I don't see how that stands out as particularly bad. No worse than average. Some hits, some misses, pretty much par for the course. Are you under the impression that everyone else is nailing 9 out of 10 with 1st rounders? Besides. Why is it all about 1st rounders? They drafted MJD, did they not?

From what I understand, they've had troubles selling tickets since the late 90s, when they were 14-2.

So, let's see. You start in '95, make the play-offs the 2nd year of existence, go 14-2 by your 5th year and then maintain above average in the league from that point forward. Yep, they can't sell out because they suck.

I don't see how that stands out as particularly bad. No worse than average. Some hits, some misses, pretty much par for the course. Are you under the impression that everyone else is nailing 9 out of 10 with 1st rounders? Besides. Why is it all about 1st rounders? They drafted MJD, did they not?

From what I understand, they've had troubles selling tickets since the late 90s, when they were 14-2.

So, let's see. You start in '95, make the play-offs the 2nd year of existence, go 14-2 by your 5th year and then maintain above average in the league from that point forward. Yep, they can't sell out because they suck.

exactly....fans here in Philly are always saying that Andy Reid can't draft and has had horrible drafts....

in response, I usually :wacko: because we have better drafts than most teams...

there's more to a draft than the 1st round and if you come out of a draft with 2-3 quality starters, then you did well....

..and I stress the word quality...

in response, I usually :wacko: because we have better drafts than most teams...

there's more to a draft than the 1st round and if you come out of a draft with 2-3 quality starters, then you did well....

..and I stress the word quality...

Heh, I spanked a couple Ted Thompson haters on a Packer board when they criticized his drafting by actually going back and looking at what OTHER teams got from the drafts.

Time-consuming, but it was the offseason.

Bottom line is some idiots think EVERY 1st rounder should be an All-Pro, 2nd and 3rds should be Pro Bowlers, and the rest should be top-notch starters. 2-3 quality starters (or key situational players) is solid. Anything more than that is a GOOD draft.

Overall, I agree. Not terrble. But recently, it's been pretty bad. Leftwich, Williams, and Jones in back-to-back-to-back years was atrocious, especially since all three were reaches. And the Harvey pick two years ago was a reach as well. The Reggie Nelson pick was fine, as I'd say he is above average. But Mercedes Nelson has been only servicable.

Their drafting the last 5 years has left them with a team devoid of stars, except MJD, in a town competing for football dollars with the University of Florida. If you were the going to spend money on football tickets, how would you spend 'em?

Overall, I agree. Not terrble. But recently, it's been pretty bad. Leftwich, Williams, and Jones in back-to-back-to-back years was atrocious, especially since all three were reaches. And the Harvey pick two years ago was a reach as well. The Reggie Nelson pick was fine, as I'd say he is above average. But Mercedes Nelson has been only servicable.

Their drafting the last 5 years has left them with a team devoid of stars, except MJD, in a town competing for football dollars with the University of Florida. If you were the going to spend money on football tickets, how would you spend 'em?

My point is and has been simply this. Someone implied that maybe they should just worry about putting a good team on the field and they wouldn't be in this mess but the facts don't support that. They've done a better job than most teams in the league of putting a good team out there and the fans aren't there.

From what I understand, they were barely there in '99 when they went 14-2 and had just made the play-offs 5 straight years (in their 1st 6 years of existence no less). That would seem to shoot a pretty damned big hole in that theory.

I don't follow college ball enough to give an informed opinion on drafting Tebow in terms of a football decision, but as a business decision...man, let me tell you what. I live in Jax and Tebow ranks just below God and Jesus in this town. The ticket sales, merchandise sales, and marketing opportunities for the Jags would go through the roof if they drafted him, even if he only saw the field a few times a game in the Wildcat formations and on gimmick plays. From that standpoint, he would be a godsend because for a town that really doesn't have a whole lot else going on, the Jags are still a pretty annonymous franchise. We haven't had a true sports hero here since Brunell and Boselli's heydays. Even MJD, as great a player as he is, doesn't get anywhere near the type of media attention you would expect him to.

And Weaver is far from a football mind. But on the business side......that's the only reason he made those comments.