[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst Free agent week 1 in years

Henry Muto

Not very many teams third running back on the depth chart get drafted. At draft time, it wasn't clear what Pierre Thomas' status would be Week 1. He went undrafted in the two leagues I'm in. Of course, he's been picked up NOW . . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I think everyone could see that one coming from a mile away. When I 1st started drafting I was able to land him in the late rounds like 17th-19th but then as the info kept coming in about P-Thomas slow recovery he kept moving up to the 14-15th rounds by my 2nd waive of drafts then he was being taken around 10-12th rounds in my 3rd waive of drafts.

You have P-Thomas injured and Mike Bell playing great in the preseason plus you add in a Detroit week 1 match up and you wonder why he was taken in drafts ?

I ended up drafting him in about half of my leagues.

If you drafted P-Thomas it only made sense to back him up with Mike Bell.

So my question to you is why wouldn't he have been drafted ?

Some of us play in Leagues where we drafted prior to Thomas going down. also round 19? Only draft 16 here so wasn't going to waste a pick on mike bell when Thomas was healthy. Anyways grats on playing in a league where people can wait to draft till the preseason is over.

I think everyone could see that one coming from a mile away. When I 1st started drafting I was able to land him in the late rounds like 17th-19th but then as the info kept coming in about P-Thomas slow recovery he kept moving up to the 14-15th rounds by my 2nd waive of drafts then he was being taken around 10-12th rounds in my 3rd waive of drafts.

You have P-Thomas injured and Mike Bell playing great in the preseason plus you add in a Detroit week 1 match up and you wonder why he was taken in drafts ?

I ended up drafting him in about half of my leagues.

If you drafted P-Thomas it only made sense to back him up with Mike Bell.

So my question to you is why wouldn't he have been drafted ?

How many leagues are you in?

Yep. Every player with even a hint of upside was already drafted in most of the leagues I play in. The only waiver wire wonders we're going to get this year are veterans that had already been written off (like Clayton and Heap), or guys that unexpectedly move up the depth chart (perhaps a guy like DeShawn Wynn passing Brandon Jackson on the depth chart and becoming the Packers starter if Grant were to miss a significant amount of time).

No star QB's going down leading to the Cassel's of the world (McNabb is out maybe 1-2 week Kolb/Garcia don't count), No Willie Parker running from obscurity into our hearts, no Kurt Warner's, no Stephen Davis, no Boldin's putting up 200+ yards in week 1, No Colston's exploding on the scene.

No Steve Slaton's, no Eddie Royals.

Absolutly nothing out there for us folks. Worst week 1 waivers in a long long time.

I am talking about real leagues here don't give me Mike Bell either because if your league was worth its salt he was taken in the draft.

I am in 10 online leagues WCFF, NFFC types where the absolute best players out there in all the leagues combined are

Garcon, Collie, Murphy, Manningham, Mi-Clayton, Ben Watson and Heap

Are any of those players going to go on and have a great season like the names I mentioned above ?

If Oakland had any kind of QB with a passing game just maybe Murphy could do something but most of his pts came.

If A-Gonzalez was out for season maybe Garcon or Collie would have a good 2nd half.

If Mi-Clayton wasn't well Mi-Clayton maybe he could be reborn again.

and I do believe Watson is who we think he is.

If your league was worth its salt, Slaton and Royal were not available on the waiver wire last year. Just as long as we're calling out leagues that didn't draft Bell...

Lol, I think you struck a nerve with a lot of people on the Bell thing. I think it is more fair to say that any league "worth its salt" had Bell picked up prior to the start of week one, not necessarily drafted. We drated a few weeks ago and with a healthy Thomas plus Bush, drafting Bell really didn't make sense, especially in a 15 or 16 round draft. (For the record, I don't own any Saints RBs in any of my three leagues.) I have Chester Taylor to handcuff AP in one league and Sproles in a league where I have LT but for the most teams, there isn't enough roster space to handcuff players outside of the first round.

But regarding the original topic, I have to say I completely agree. I'm sure in the next week or two we'll see one or more players emerge but outside of injury replacements, there really isn't a whole lot out there. I think the amount of rookies that exploded last year has sometime to do with it with players like Royal, Matt Ryan, Forte, Slaton, and Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson went in the last few rounds last year and Forte was drafted but Royal, Slaton, and Matt Ryan went undrafted in many leagues. This year, you can't find a rookie RB on waivers even if they're buried on their depth charts.

Lol, I think you struck a nerve with a lot of people on the Bell thing. I think it is more fair to say that any league "worth its salt" had Bell picked up prior to the start of week one, not necessarily drafted. We drated a few weeks ago and with a healthy Thomas plus Bush, drafting Bell really didn't make sense, especially in a 15 or 16 round draft. (For the record, I don't own any Saints RBs in any of my three leagues.) I have Chester Taylor to handcuff AP in one league and Sproles in a league where I have LT but for the most teams, there isn't enough roster space to handcuff players outside of the first round.

But regarding the original topic, I have to say I completely agree. I'm sure in the next week or two we'll see one or more players emerge but outside of injury replacements, there really isn't a whole lot out there. I think the amount of rookies that exploded last year has sometime to do with it with players like Royal, Matt Ryan, Forte, Slaton, and Chris Johnson. Chris Johnson went in the last few rounds last year and Forte was drafted but Royal, Slaton, and Matt Ryan went undrafted in many leagues. This year, you can't find a rookie RB on waivers even if they're buried on their depth charts.

Henry Muto doesn't strike nerves, he strikes fear. Get is straight. We try to mock him, but it is only a feeble attempt to veil our abject insecurity when in his presence.

That said, most leagues I've played lock rosters from the draft until after week 1.

Also, Steve Slaton was drafted in both leagues I was in last year and those were not even huge leagues with massive rosters.

Henry Muto doesn't strike nerves, he strikes fear. Get is straight. We try to mock him, but it is only a feeble attempt to veil our abject insecurity when in his presence.

That said, most leagues I've played lock rosters from the draft until after week 1.

Also, Steve Slaton was drafted in both leagues I was in last year and those were not even huge leagues with massive rosters.

Lol not talking about Muto. Was referring to OP saying any league worth their salt drafted Mike Bell irritating people.

Henry Muto,

You're sample size isn't big enough; you can't really gauge the strength of the Week 1 free agent class is unless you happened to be in 23 more leagues.

Eeeeeasy there, Bush...this is a family site so let's keep things clean around here!