[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What was the most surprising RB performance last week?

DMD

Week One  

80 members have voted

1. 1. What RB suprised you the most?

• Thomas Jones with 107 yards and 2 scores
    • Matt Forte with zero catches
    • Steven Jackson with zero catches
    • Kevin Smith with 7 catches
    • Willis McGahee with 75 yards and 2 scores
    • Tim Hightower with 12 catches

From those on your list, I was surprised by Thomas Jones. However, I think most surprising was Tim Hightower with 12 receptions for 121 yards.

+2. FWIW, Steven Jackson seems to fall flat every year just because the Rams have no offensive line, so it's not really a shock.

I would say Cadillac would be the biggest suprise to me. The others were pretty well expected.

:wacko:

You honestly expected Caddillac to run as well as he did after two knee surgeries and a nice lull? He played great and much better than I ever expected.

I'm pretty sure that loaf's :D was directed at your statement that "the others were pretty well expected." That statement is, frankly :D

It's not THAT crazy...

T. Jones killed his weaker run Ds last year. HOU didn't show up in week 1. HOU's run D doesn't show up most weeks.

Forte... this is kind of a surprise but notsomuch if you predicted a little sophmore slump and that Cutler looks for his WRs much more than Orton.

SJax... kind of surprising but not surprising in a new system. Also consider that his OL has been on a steady decline since 2006.

Kevin Smith... not surprising with Linehan at OC and a rookie QB needing to checkdown.

McGahee... not surprising vs KC and also not surprising since this was and remains RBBC. Maybe not a true RBBC situation but Cameron clearly involves his 3 RBs extensively in all areas. It's almost exactly how the BAL RBs were used all preseason.

I think many, including myself, avoided Forte and SJax for the above reasons. Many may have targeted Smith and McGahee for the above reasons.

Hightower is very much a surprise. Anytime a RB makes that many catches in one game is a surprise though. This was an outlier given that Boldin was limited and Breaston was out. Warner was not only struggling in general but he was without his #2 and #3 in a pass heavy offense. Those targets just ended up with the checkdown.

Edited by kingfish247

I'm pretty sure that loaf's :wacko: was directed at your statement that "the others were pretty well expected." That statement is, frankly :D

Well, here is my reasoning.

Thomas Jones with 107 yards and 2 scores - With a rookie QB, I suspected a huge run attack against a week run defense

Matt Forte with zero catches - Cutler does not check down. Never has and probably never will.

Steven Jackson with zero catches - Even before the season, I though SJax was way over valued

Kevin Smith with 7 catches - Was playing the toughest offense in the leauge. They were going to play catchup all game.

Willis McGahee with 75 yards and 2 scores - Three headed giant against a weak, WEAK defense.

Tim Hightower with 12 catches - Only 15 yards rushing and an offensive live that has allowed pressure on Werner all preseaon. Werner had to dump and HT was the only one catching the ball. Everyone else kept dropping the passes.

I really expected the Cowboys to shut the run down and force a weak Leftwitch to beat them. Caddillac ran over them.

like I said, bearb....

if you saw McGahee breaking through the 3 headed monster as the one to score 2, we have a new Muto on our hands.

McGahee is the power back but with some great hands while Rice is the finess back. McGahee should and will be the goal line back so should get some decent TD's this season. McClain is nothing more than a fill in back that gets some good numbers occassionally. My biggest surprise was how well Flacco passed the ball.

Edited by BearBroncos

Furd's right...if you saw McGahee's 75,2 day coming, I wish you woulda told me. He was on my bench and I woulda won had I started him.

Not that it could be predicted but it isn't all that surprising. I recently read somewhere on The Huddle that when you look at thier projections, they might predict a player to get more points because they will have a good opportunity for TD but will have them lower on the Start/Bench list than someone they're not predicting for a TD but is projected for more yards. Essentially, you cannot predict TDs. I think this is a good way to look at RB/WR when trying to decide who is the better play. But specifically, you cannot predict goal line TDs for RB or long TD bombs for WR.

I'll use an example of a topic I posted in advice column of Hester versus Bowe. Hester has a chance for a long bomb but Bowe will likely get more targets and receptions. The probability of Hester getting a 50 yard TD bomb is not high enough to make him a better play than Bower who is usually good for 4-6 receptions per game which is usually good for 60-70 yards per game.

Anyway, my point is, take out the TDs and McGahee's game is not a shocker at 44 yards rushing, 31 yards receiving. Maybe slightly better yardage than expected but nothing crazy. His TDs could very easily have been had by Heap or Rice or McClain. One was from three yards out, one was from the one.

I thought that Forte with no catches was the biggest surprise, even though it helped me out greatly. With Cutler struggling in the first half, I would have thought that the Bears would have went to the run and screen game to try and get the Packers D to stack the box and then let Cutler air it out.

The least surprising to me was Jackson. I felt he was way over-rated to start the year given his injury history and the current state of the Rams offense. It is no longer the "Greatest Show on Turf"...maybe it should be "We couldn't run on Smurfs!" :wacko:

Julius Jones was surprising to me. I know he was higher on a lot of peoples lists but 117 and a bomb TD are RB1 numbers on only 19 carries! Granted that was against the aforementioned Rams who also can't stop a Smurf!

Most surprising to me was Cadillac. I thought that car was permanently parked in the junkyard! I actually grabbed him off the waiver wire and will start him this week!