[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ben Watson

matt770

From NFL.com:

Watson has a touchdown catch the last two times he's met the Jets. Watson had a down year last year without Brady but the duo has reunited and it is clear Brady leans on him for big plays. Watson should be owned in far more leagues than he is currently. You need to pick him up and you can go ahead and get him active for Week 2 in most formats unless you have an All-Star tight end already on your roster.

Same site, different writer:

Watson was one of the most added tight ends on NFL.com this week, as his ownership percentage rose by 31 percent after his 77-yard, two-touchdown performance against the Bills. But with a host of star wide receivers and TE Chris Baker also in the mix, fantasy owners shouldn't expect Watson to duplicate his strong Week 1 totals. In fact, he's still not worth starting in fantasy leagues against the Jets.

Thought this was funny, but brings up a good point of discussion on Watson. He is already one third of the way to matching his TD total from his peak year of '07. Will this be a career year or was Monday night an anomaly?

Edited by matt770

I guess I would say somewhere between Monday night anomily and career year. Although a career year for him is still average or even below average for top TEs.

After Moss and Welker, there is no clear cut 3rd choice. I think the Pats wanted it to be Galloway, but I just don't see that developing. Zero catches week one and only two targets that I recall. Chris Baker had the more impressive pre-season, but was blocking all night Monday, when he was on the field. Kevin Faulk will always get his catches, but yards and TDs will be tough to come by, as usual.

Watson's biggest issues have been two things, health and hands. By all accounts he's as healthy right now as he has been since he tracked Champ Bailey down from across the field. So that will last as long as it lasts. Could be one day, could be all year. As for the hands, Brady told him after his 2nd TD grab Monday that was the best catch Watson had ever made. If his hands stay for the season this could certainly be a career year. What does that mean though? Somewhere around 55 - 700 - 8 would probably be best case, imo.

It's not quite the same wording, but almost the same thing was said here.

From the Start Bench List:

TE Ben Watson S2 Chris Baker's run as the Patriots' trendy tight end lasted all of one catch; then Watson took over and became 2009's Week 1 wavier wire wonder. Those who raced to pick him up will be happy to know he's scored in each of his last two against the Jets (including 8-88-1 in Week 11 last year).

From the Predictions & Projections:

Tight Ends: The tight end has fallen from fashion in recent seasons for the Patriots so of course that meant that Benjamin Watson had six receptions for 77 yards and two touchdowns last week. Watson usually has a big game once a year and the rest of the time you are debating whether to start him or bat him back to the waiver wire. [And a projection almost at the bottom of the TE list]