[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

commissioner question

dfv87

Our league switched from Fanball to ESPN this year and our first issue has come up... One of the owners made his first change Add/drop this week (dropped his QB) and signed Leftwich, he somehow screwed up his lineup and didn't start his newly acquired QB and subsequently he is losing... with Leftwich's points he would win. He is blaming the ESPN software for him screwing it up (too confusing). He happens to be playing me... so as commissioner I cannot make a decision, I am not sure what to do? A league vote? Simply state he didn't submit a legal lineup? I don't want to be a jerk but I mean c'mon, fill out the lineup right it is not rocket science. Opinions?

It's rather obvious what happened---regardless of him playing you or another Team, his lineup should've and was meant to include the newly acquired QB. I'm sure the mistake was noticed way before the game had ended. As a commish, I would've asked the guy why he didn't start a QB....

Owner's responsibility to submit his lineup. He made a roster move that cut one of his starters ... it is up to him to re-insert another starter whether it be the player he just acquired or another player from his roster.

I have done something similiar in the past ... set my line ups on Tuesday, waivers run on Wednesday, I cut one kicker and picked up another, forgot to insert new kicker.

Our league switched from Fanball to ESPN this year and our first issue has come up... One of the owners made his first change Add/drop this week (dropped his QB) and signed Leftwich, he somehow screwed up his lineup and didn't start his newly acquired QB and subsequently he is losing... with Leftwich's points he would win. He is blaming the ESPN software for him screwing it up (too confusing). He happens to be playing me... so as commissioner I cannot make a decision, I am not sure what to do? A league vote? Simply state he didn't submit a legal lineup? I don't want to be a jerk but I mean c'mon, fill out the lineup right it is not rocket science. Opinions?

everyone has to set their lineup. you could cut him a break if you want, but most leagues wouldn't.

you could cut him a break if you want, but most leagues wouldn't.

Yeah, I think it's obvious it's each owner's responsibility to set his lineup. But I would also think about the league and the potential consequences of whatever you decide... is it a big $ league? How long have you had the league? How long have you commished? What is the experience of the player(s), etc. It's easy to draw a hard and fast line only to find out most of the other owners disagree and it becomes a big deal. I'm sure many of us have seen personal friendships tarnished by such fantasy issues.

I guess in the end I would ask a couple other owners who are trustworthy (and respected by league) what they would do; you should be/seem as impartial/objective as you can. Good luck.

Owner's responsibility to submit his lineup. He made a roster move that cut one of his starters ... it is up to him to re-insert another starter whether it be the player he just acquired or another player from his roster.

I have done something similiar in the past ... set my line ups on Tuesday, waivers run on Wednesday, I cut one kicker and picked up another, forgot to insert new kicker.

+1

I did this my first time in a league on ESPN because when you pick up players they add them to your bench. The difference between your league mate's story and mine is that I went in and checked my roster to be sure the change took. It was then that I realized my newly acquired player was not plugged in as starter, in fact, nobody was, so I made the adjustment. The program doesn't assume you're going to start anyone. If a guy goes down with a season ending injury you will likely drop him and pick someone else up, however you may have a player already on your bench that would be a better starting replacement than your new addition. You just added a player because you had room. Not the same scenario, I know but like I already said, you can't assume the FF program will make that call for you. If Fanball did this for you then maybe you can poll the league but I'd say sorry dude, you should be checking your line-up after any move. It is not "too confusing".

He had only 1 QB on his roster?

In any event, I agree with most everyone else. You start down a slippery slope when you allow modifications to a lineup after it has been submitted.

I agree that rules are rules. And if I was the team that didn't start my QB it would be hard for me to swallow, but it would ultimately be my fault.

However, if I was in dfv87 shoes I would take a different view on it, especially as a commish. If my opponent had only one QB on his roster, it's fairly obvious that he would have started him. It might have been an oversight not activating him, or maybe he tried and it didn't take. But regardless I wouldn't want to win because of an inadvertent accident of my opponent. As the commish, I'd retroactively set his roster even if it meant a loss to me. You know it's the right sportsman-like thing to do, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking.

I contend that you cannot make this decision. There is no decision that leaves you impartial. I would say put it to the leauge and vote, becuase that way your integrity will remain, and your job as commish is to keep the integrity of the league intact. If your rules state that it is the job of the owner to set rosters, they will hopefully uphold the rules of the league.

One other thing (although I do not think that it is relevant, since I don't think you should revise his starting lineup.)

He figured out how to submit a starting lineup week 1, didn't he? How did a waiver make it more tricky to start a week 2 lineup?

Was the case of an owner submitting a startiing lineup earlier in the week, before waivers, and just forgetting to change his lineup after waivers? (like Blitz said)

I think you could put it up to league vote, but really the onus is on the owner to make sure his lineup is set correclty.

We just switched from CBS to MFL this year and as commish I have been sending out "warnings" and tips almost every day to the owners about how things are supposed to work (waivers, setting linueps, etc.) as this site is new to all owners in the league.

Of course we still had a few with issues putting in for waivers this last week. I hated to be a hard@ss on this stuff, but owners were "warned" and especially with a new site they should be looking at everything a bit closer the first few weeks.

The sporting thing to do is to put it up to a league vote IMO. If you make the change without the vote you are opening up yourself to potential issues later in the year when something happens again.

I think you could put it up to league vote, but really the onus is on the owner to make sure his lineup is set correclty.

We just switched from CBS to MFL this year and as commish I have been sending out "warnings" and tips almost every day to the owners about how things are supposed to work (waivers, setting linueps, etc.) as this site is new to all owners in the league.

Of course we still had a few with issues putting in for waivers this last week. I hated to be a hard@ss on this stuff, but owners were "warned" and especially with a new site they should be looking at everything a bit closer the first few weeks.

The sporting thing to do is to put it up to a league vote IMO. If you make the change without the vote you are opening up yourself to potential issues later in the year when something happens again.

I would not put it up to a vote to the ENTIRE league. I would say teams within your division would be eliminated from voting as they have a vested interest in you losing.

Can't put it up to a league vote because you can't expect them to be partial either - some guys may just vote against whoever they perceive the stronger team to be. You can't bend rules.

I run into issues like this every year and my response is always the same - read the rules and always check your lineups. If someone either (i) didn't read the rules or (ii) didn't take 5 seconds to confirm that their lineup is what they thought it was, I have no sympathy for them. Rules are rules - play by them.

Can't put it up to a league vote because you can't expect them to be partial either - some guys may just vote against whoever they perceive the stronger team to be. You can't bend rules.

I run into issues like this every year and my response is always the same - read the rules and always check your lineups. If someone either (i) didn't rea'sd the rules or (ii) didn't take 5 seconds to confirm that their lineup is what they thought it was, I have no sympathy for them. Rules are rules - play by them.

Actaully, I like this response better than mine.

How long has this yokel been playing FF? Does he know how to use a computer (week 1 says he does)? There really is no excuse for being ignorant of the rules and understanding the software used by your league. Any FF'baller worth their salt ALWAYS makes sure their lineups are set well before Sunday's games. Sounds to me like this joker is trying to lay excuses down instead of looking at himself for f'ing up. I work in the IT Industry and 99.9% of the time it's ALWAYS user error. This case clearly is part of the 99.9%. Tell him to cry to his mommy if he wants some sympathy.

Edited by tosberg34

Does he know how to use a computer (week 1 says he does)? There really is no excuse for being ignorant of the rules and understanding the software used by your league. Any FF'baller worth their salt ALWAYS makes sure their lineups are set well before Sunday's games.

To be fair, it sounds like, that with their switch from Fanball to ESPN, the normal (and habit-forming) way they had been used to setting their lineups had changed. Its kind of hard to "understand the software used by your league" when you have never used it before.

If the old software automatically inserted the only available player into your line-up (as Fanball and CBS do), and he has never known anything different, is it not reasonable for him to expect ESPN to do the same?

Just sayin'....I too think it ultimately falls on the owner to double-check his line-up (especially with new software being used), but I can definitely understand how/why the error was made.

To be fair, it sounds like, that with their switch from Fanball to ESPN, the normal (and habit-forming) way they had been used to setting their lineups had changed. Its kind of hard to "understand the software used by your league" when you have never used it before.

If the old software automatically inserted the only available player into your line-up (as Fanball and CBS do), and he has never known anything different, is it not reasonable for him to expect ESPN to do the same?

Just sayin'....I too think it ultimately falls on the owner to double-check his line-up (especially with new software being used), but I can definitely understand how/why the error was made.

I could probably see that from someone who is 70 years old, but there really is no reason to be computer illiterate in this day and age. if the software is new then he should have playing around with the software, reading the instructions and asking questions. Do most people read instruction manuals? probably not, but then don't come crying when it doesn't turn out the way you expect.

Can you tell I work in the IT Industry? I have zero patience for users. Blah!

Yep, you're in a bit of a no-win situation here. If it were my league, I'd go with him not getting the points at that position. Honestly, if you really care about your team, your lineup and your league - you'll be making sure that your roster is set right before kickoff.

For all you commissioners out there, wouldn't it be a breath of fresh air if in an instance like this the team's owner took the heat off the commish? Just say, "hey, I screwed up - lesson learned". That's something I would do, especially in this situation where it could make an honest commish look bad.

I'm in 2 ESPN leagues and it isn't hard to figure out. Didn't he go back and look at his starters? It is pretty easy to set them. I agree with the slippery slope of less obvious changes being requested in the future. Lesson learned for the guy.

To me... the issue is 2 fold.

#1. If he only has one QB on his roster there is no disputing who he would have started.

#2. There comes a point in time where you have to be responsible for your lineup.... HOWEVER say later in the season someone has a guy who is a game time decision and they can't be at their computer when it is announced that he is OUT... is he allowed to call in or submit his lineup to another league member or the commish w/o switching in on the computer??? In my opinion the commissioner is the commissioner for this very reason... to make these decisons.

The fact that he is playing you makes it easier if you ask me. You know he would have started him and by taking the loss you aren't affecting any other squad.... just my opinion.

After deliberation with the co commissioner we allowed him to insert his QB. not a moneybleague moere of a give each other stuff league from work. He has been on the rec end of so much abuse already, it only seemed fair. thanks for all the input guys.

i'll admit that switching from yahoo to espn has been a little awkward for some. i'm the commissioner of a league, and we made the switch. Last night an owner called me because he couldn't put in a waiver claim, and I ended up logging in under his account to see what was going on. Couldn't make any changes on his team, however, there was a weird link to "control this team", and once I clicked that, it restored the ability to make the changes.