[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets, atop the AFC East

Rovers

The Jets were 8-3 last year, having just beaten the undefeated Titans at home. They missed the playoffs.

Flash forward.... the Jets shut down a top 5 offense on the road, and beat NE at home in week 2. Revis shuts DOWN two of the top 5 WR's in the NFL, and are yet to give up a TD. Most fans would be trash talkin, predicting great things, Supe, etc.

Not Jets fans. Sure, we are happy right now. We have almost completely bought into the new Rex Ryan era. So far, so good... even far beyond hopes from the hopeless. Is it real this time? Do the Jets really have a QB? Can this defense keep it up? Is Revis the best shut down corner in the NFL? Can Ryan's D scheme with this roster be dominant over a 16 game season? Let's see what happens with the Titans , a desperate 0-2 team that needs a win, at home.

Notice there were no sig line bets for a Jets/Pats game? I think Pats fans are as afraid as Jets fans are right now. No trash talk. A wait and see approach. The media is all over the Jets, but Jets fans are laying low. We've been here too many times before.

Has the Namath pact with the devil run it's course? Expired? 40 years? Was that the contract?

Edited for typos

Edited by Rovers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the players care about history or supposed curses -- they were pretty good last year before Favre's arm fell off, with an inferior coach to boot. Now you upgrade the coach, QB and add Bart Scott and it looks like all the pieces are in place. Plus a lot of the core guys are still young. I picked them to beat the Pats on Sunday and I like them to win the division. Suddenly the Jets-Pats rivalry is going to be as compelling as Steelers-Ravens or Giants-Cowboys-Eagles. I didn't even glance at any of the other early games on Sunday and I can't wait til they play again.

I haven't been able to see either of the first two games. Has Revis been playing mostly man or do they play some version of a zone? I think they have everything they need to be very competitive this year. They HAVE to stay out of shootouts, IMO, because I just don't see Sanchez as ready for that yet. That being said, I'm not sure even 8-8 is epic fail. Rookie HC, rookie QB and no "top-shelf" wideouts? But they haven't played a very good D yet. That will be a pretty good test, IMO.

They didnt shut down 2 top 5 WRs. Welker didnt even play. And as for the question, IMO, its way too early to tell anything. Sure they have a great defense. But I think by week 6 or so is when things will be a lot more clear. Brady hasnt looked like himself, and that might just be rust from being out all year last year.

Time will tell...

ETA - I guess you meant Revis shut down 2 top 5 CBs in the past 2 weeks. My bad. :wacko:

Edited by peepinmofo

They didnt shut down 2 top 5 WRs. Welker didnt even play. And as for the question, IMO, its way too early to tell anything. Sure they have a great defense. But I think by week 6 or so is when things will be a lot more clear. Brady hasnt looked like himself, and that might just be rust from being out all year last year.

Time will tell...

ETA - I guess you meant Revis shut down 2 top 5 CBs in the past 2 weeks. My bad. :wacko:

You still screwed it up Peeps...Revis shut down 2 top 5 WR's over the past two weeks...the kid was awesome!

why are jets fans scared? the offense gets better as the weeks go by, and you need one experienced oline/qb and a good dump of WR in order to manage the blitzing (not many teams have this).

and what is a sig line bet?

Why are Jets fans afraid of getting to get giddy? 40 years of failures. The Jets once went 10-0, only to lose the last 6 games in a row. This franchise has always found not only a way to fail, but they have done it in the worst ways possible. Long time Jets fans like myself have been here before, only to be disappointed time after time.

The people calling talk show radio are youngsters (relatively speaking). Long time fans know better than to get cocky like that. We've seen it all before.

The best Jets team since the Namath days had beaten the Browns.... it was 4th and long, Kosar throws incomplete, the Jets can run out the clock and go to the AFC Championship game. But wait... Mark Gastenue (sp) gets flagged for a ridiculously late roughing the passer call on Kosar. 1st down. Jets lose in the last few seconds.

Then there was the year after Vinny Testaverde's career year. The Jets lost a heartbreaker in the playoffs that year. The next year, amid high hopes, first game, 1st half... he ruptures his achilles. Todd Marinovich to Ray Lucas.... epic fails.

Rich Kotite... Herman Edwards... epic fails.

Pennington bursts on the scene... plays great. and blows out his shoulder... twice. Enter Favre... epic fail. losing 5 or the last 6 games and out of the playoffs after an 8-3 start.

Why you ask? Why am I afraid? I'm Jets fan.

Edited by Rovers

Why are Jets fans afraid of getting to get giddy? 40 years of failures. The Jets once went 10-0, only to lose the last 6 games in a row. This franchise has always found not only a way to fail, but they have done it in the worst ways possible. Long time Jets fans like myself have been here before, only to be disappointed time after time.

The people calling talk show radio are youngsters (relatively speaking). Long time fans know better than to get cocky like that. We've seen it all before.

The best Jets team since the Namath days had beaten the Browns.... it was 4th and long, Kosar throws incomplete, the Jets can run out the clock and go to the AFC Championship game. But wait... Mark Gastenue (sp) gets flagged for a ridiculously late roughing the passer call on Kosar. 1st down. Jets lose in the last few seconds.

Then there was the year after Vinny Testaverde's career year. The Jets lost a heartbreaker in the playoffs that year. The next year, amid high hopes, first game, 1st half... he ruptures his achilles. Todd Marinovich to Ray Lucas.... epic fails.

Pennington bursts on the scene... plays great. and blows out his shoulder... twice. Enter Favre... epic fail. losing 5 or the last 6 games and out of the playoffs after an 8-3 start.

I don't want to hear it.

Signed,

All Vikings Fans

Wasn't it fun watching those blitzes last Sunday?

I've been watching the gang green for 25 years, I still can't remember ever seeing that type of aggresive defense, even in the days of the sack exchange. I don't think they quite blitzed that much.

Here in New England, there was also a great clip of Bart Scott after the game talking/joking with a Boston reporter (can't remember which channel) about why they go out thinking they are the best "Because if you don't, you might as well not even go out there." He told the reporter "You should think that you might be the best reporter in the room. Rachel Nichols of ESPN might not like that, but who cares?" The reporter said "Might be?" Scott said "I don't know, I need to see some transcripts of your work or something, I'm not sure you've quite got it." (or something to that effect)

There's a certain seriousness, yet tongue-in-cheek attitude that I think is really healthy in NY. I think they are playing the game to WIN, while still having some fun and believing in themselves.

And I think it's a lesson to the Jet fans - just have fun with it. Win or lose, this team will not be boring. And I think that's really all you can ask for as a fan.

Edited by The Waterboy

as a pats fan....that was just hard to watch last sunday

but i cant front...i think this jets team is for real.....there is just alot of talent on both sides of the ball...and the offensive line is pretty impressive(although i thought for the most part the patriots defense played well and are a better than alot of people think they are...lack of pass rush still kills me)

i dont wanna downplay what the jets did sunday...but i really think they caught the patriots at an opportunistic time....there are some obvious things...welker....new play caller who looks a little confused and over his head(mcdaniels looked like that too early on in his career)...a little brady rust.....some other things...galloway just looks lost out there in an offense where he has to think instead of just fly...weve got some tough tests coming up....

bpwallace....im glad washington hasnt blown up yet or made any big plays....i havent gotten a chance to start him yet....but with bye weeks coming up...ill be getting a chance to insert leon into my lineup....im pretty sure hell start busting of some big runs...hopefully in bunches...and hopefully when ive got him in my lineup....so far though im grateful he hasnt done anything big...i hate to leave/waste points on my bench.....i think hes due soon though

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

The Jets were fantastic. That was the worst I have seen Brady play since week 14 of 2007 against...the Jets. A lot of Pats fans are in panic mode but the truth is it was just one game. It's not 2007. They are not going undefeated. I hated the play calling on offense. Brady has 100 pass attempts in two games and if that continues he is going to get killed. If Bill O'Brien would actually line up in a regular I formation and run the damn ball they will be just fine.

The only "but" I can say for the Jets is they treated that game as if it were the Super Bowl. It worked so you can't fault them, but are they setup to have a letdown? They have a very tough three game stretch. TENN @NO @MIA.

Whether or not the jets maintain their level of play in the future-They beat the Patriots at Home. (I was pulling for the Bills when they were playing the pats, so maybe i just wanna see someone beat NE ...which the jets did.)And thats not easy to do. Even if the pats turn out to be missing too many pieces this year.(fingers crossed)

Either way, Jets are good now.

Im scared of them.

The Jets were 8-3 last year, having just beaten the undefeated Titans at home. They missed the playoffs.

Flash forward.... the Jets shut down a top 5 offense on the road, and beat NE at home in week 2. Revis shuts DOWN two of the top 5 WR's in the NFL, and are yet to give up a TD. Most fans would be trash talkin, predicting great things, Supe, etc.

Not Jets fans. Sure, we are happy right now. We have almost completely bought into the new Rex Ryan era. So far, so good... even far beyond hopes from the hopeless. Is it real this time? Do the Jets really have a QB? Can this defense keep it up? Is Revis the best shut down corner in the NFL? Can Ryan's D scheme with this roster be dominant over a 16 game season? Let's see what happens with the Titans , a desperate 0-2 team that needs a win, at home.

Notice there were no sig line bets for a Jets/Pats game? I think Pats fans are as afraid as Jets fans are right now. No trash talk. A wait and see approach. The media is all over the Jets, but Jets fans are laying low. We've been here too many times before.

Has the Namath pact with the devil run it's course? Expired? 40 years? Was that the contract?

Edited for typos

This falls under the "dont talk to the pitcher when he is pitching a no-no" kind of thing. As a Jet fan, if it we were up 4 TDs with 5 minutes to go in the Super Bowl I would be wondering how we were going to blow it and crush my soul.

Thats what being a Jet fan is all about.

I haven't been able to see either of the first two games. Has Revis been playing mostly man or do they play some version of a zone? I think they have everything they need to be very competitive this year. They HAVE to stay out of shootouts, IMO, because I just don't see Sanchez as ready for that yet. That being said, I'm not sure even 8-8 is epic fail. Rookie HC, rookie QB and no "top-shelf" wideouts? But they haven't played a very good D yet. That will be a pretty good test, IMO.

Practically all man. Shut down both andre Johnson and Moss.

As a lifetime Jets fan (been going to games since 1967 at Shea stadium) and Jets season ticket holder since 1984, I wouold personally like to thank Brett Favre (and Eric Mangini for playing the injured Favre), because without their self-centered moronic decisons in the latter half of the 2008 season, the Jets may have eked their way into the playoffs and we Jets fans would not be presently enjoying:

1. Rex Ryan and his suffocating defense (The Joy of Rex?); and

2. Mark Sanchez.

Had the Jets reached the playoffs, we would still have Mangini as HC and who the f knows what creature would be taking snaps from Mangold... certainly not Mark Sanchez who would be under center for a different team, probably Jacksonville or Minnesota.

Edited by Dcat

can revis do this if welker was in game? i think revis only got the interception because brady had 1.84s to throw, which definitely isnt enough time. commentator also said moss didnt run that route hard and slowed down mid route.

in case you ask why welker would make a difference, he usually is the equalizer on his screens when D blitz too much.

not trying to take away from revis if thats how this post comes across.

Edited by kickureface

can revis do this if welker was in game? i think revis only got the interception because brady had 1.84s to throw, which definitely isnt enough time. commentator also said moss didnt run that route hard and slowed down mid route.

in case you ask why welker would make a difference, he usually is the equalizer on his screens when D blitz too much.

not trying to take away from revis if thats how this post comes across.

Edelman was open most of the day and had a lot of catches for about 100 yds I think. Welker-like numbers or pretty darned close. He filled in for Welker nicely. It's not like the Jets pulled coverage off Edelman in order to double up on Moss. There was little to no double coverage of Moss. Single coverage on the once super fast but now super slow Joey Galloway. All around nice job by the Jets secondary. Plus Sheppard did not play the entire game. The backups, most notably Lowery, stepped up to the plate and delivered. Any Pats fan who attributes Brady's struggles in whole or in part to the absence of Welker is simply not paying attention.