[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets, atop the AFC East

Rovers

The Pats didn't look so good. Later in the year their defense should be better but they may be too far back by that time.

Miami has a good run game but can't come back if behind until they have a decent receiving game.

I think the Jets offense and defense will both be better as Sanchez gets more in sync with his weapons and Shonne Greene could be huge late in the year.

Calvin Pace will be back in few weeks too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edelman was open most of the day and had a lot of catches for about 100 yds I think. Welker-like numbers or pretty darned close. He filled in for Welker nicely. It's not like the Jets pulled coverage off Edelman in order to double up on Moss. There was little to no double coverage of Moss. Single coverage on the once super fast but now super slow Joey Galloway. All around nice job by the Jets secondary. Plus Sheppard did not play the entire game. The backups, most notably Lowery, stepped up to the plate and delivered. Any Pats fan who attributes Brady's struggles in whole or in part to the absence of Welker is simply not paying attention.

i think you're missing the point i'm making with welker. i'm talking about the buble screen which gets them 10-15 yards for welker which kills the blitzers.

on the revis int, i saw the safety roll over. couldn't see the rest of the field so i don't know what he was trying to do but looks a little like a double.

Edited by kickureface

i think you're missing the point i'm making with welker. i'm talking about the buble screen which gets them 10-15 yards for welker which kills the blitzers.

on the revis int, i saw the safety roll over. couldn't see the rest of the field so i don't know what he was trying to do but looks a little like a double.

yeah on the Revis INT there was help from the safety. BB didn't run many screens at all (if any). I can't remember a game where BB didn't use Faulk on a screen to move the chains against the Jets. It was strange on Sunday. I think the Pats are missing McDaniels more than they admit. The offense looks lost and has no real plan. (I'm sure Broncos' fans would send him back to NE with a big red bow, if requested :wacko: ). The problem with the bubble screen is if the ball doesn't get off in time, the QB gets killed. I just don't think they had enough time to effectively develop any screens. The pressure was from everywhere.

On WEEI last week, Belichick commented, actually criticized, the Texans offense by saying that they "could see" where the Jets blitzes were coming from in week 1 but made no adjustments at the line or in the game plan the rest of the way through the game. The implication was that the Pats would not be as easy to blitz against as were the Texans. When I read that, I said to myself.. uh oh.. we are going to see a million screens on Sunday. Hmmmm looks like Belichick either didn't see where the blitzes were coming from (unlike the Texans), or did but failed to make adjustments (just like the Texans). Or that the Pats simply couldn't. Any way you slice it, that comment on the Texans lack of offense adjustments now has foot-in-mouth all over it.

Their pass rush gave both QBs very little time to throw too, that has a lot to do with it.

Oh yes, a top pass rush is the difference between an OK and stellar secondary. But if he can cover AJ enough to ward off the quick slants and stay with him down the field? AJ IMO is the second best WR in the game (CJ is best IMO) and if this kid Revis covered him well a whole game? Says a lot, man, says a lot.

The Pats didn't look so good. Later in the year their defense should be better but they may be too far back by that time.

Miami has a good run game but can't come back if behind until they have a decent receiving game.

I think the Jets offense and defense will both be better as Sanchez gets more in sync with his weapons and Shonne Greene could be huge late in the year.

Calvin Pace will be back in few weeks too.

I still love how when people tak above th AFC east they never talk about the Bills. :wacko:

looks like Belichick either didn't see where the blitzes were coming from (unlike the Texans), or did but failed to make adjustments (just like the Texans). Or that the Pats simply couldn't. Any way you slice it, that comment on the Texans lack of offense adjustments now has foot-in-mouth all over it.

They disguised a lot of blitzes. They did that crossover a few times, overloaded a side. I think the secondary jsut did it's job and gave them time to get to Tom.

And sure, 'll talk about the Bills atop the AFC East. Who do you want to talk about? Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or Bruce Smith? Maybe Don Beebe (great effort re: Leon Lett) or Mark Kelso? (best helmet ever, outside of Rick Moranis)....

They disguised a lot of blitzes. They did that crossover a few times, overloaded a side. I think the secondary jsut did it's job and gave them time to get to Tom.

And sure, 'll talk about the Bills atop the AFC East. Who do you want to talk about? Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or Bruce Smith? Maybe Don Beebe (great effort re: Leon Lett) or Mark Kelso? (best helmet ever, outside of Rick Moranis)....

Sounds good, I guess I had that coming. Maybe we can check back on this in a few weeks.

Why are Jets fans afraid of getting to get giddy? 40 years of failures. The Jets once went 10-0, only to lose the last 6 games in a row. This franchise has always found not only a way to fail, but they have done it in the worst ways possible. Long time Jets fans like myself have been here before, only to be disappointed time after time.

The people calling talk show radio are youngsters (relatively speaking). Long time fans know better than to get cocky like that. We've seen it all before.

The best Jets team since the Namath days had beaten the Browns.... it was 4th and long, Kosar throws incomplete, the Jets can run out the clock and go to the AFC Championship game. But wait... Mark Gastenue (sp) gets flagged for a ridiculously late roughing the passer call on Kosar. 1st down. Jets lose in the last few seconds.

Then there was the year after Vinny Testaverde's career year. The Jets lost a heartbreaker in the playoffs that year. The next year, amid high hopes, first game, 1st half... he ruptures his achilles. Todd Marinovich to Ray Lucas.... epic fails.

Rich Kotite... Herman Edwards... epic fails.

Pennington bursts on the scene... plays great. and blows out his shoulder... twice. Enter Favre... epic fail. losing 5 or the last 6 games and out of the playoffs after an 8-3 start.

Why you ask? Why am I afraid? I'm Jets fan.

A couple of fact checks - in 1987 the Jets were 10-1 before losing there last 5 games. Not sure what the Todd Marinovich reference is about - perhaps you meant Rick Mirer. And last year they lost 4 of the last 5, after starting 8-3.

Regardless, it's been a long and winding road for all Jets' fans. The prudent approach is to let the team mature and develop into the team we hope they can become. Building on a solid defense is the way to go and with Sanchez at the helm, hopefully he can improve weekly. He's played well, but has had some good fortune to avoid some disasters in the first two games that could have turned the momentum for both games. The offensive line hasn't been as strong as I expected - though two games is too soon to fully evaluate. This week against Tennesee will be a solid test. If the O-line improves upon last season the Jets will be tough to beat all season - even with a rookie QB.

John

A couple of fact checks - in 1987 the Jets were 10-1 before losing there last 5 games. Not sure what the Todd Marinovich reference is about - perhaps you meant Rick Mirer. And last year they lost 4 of the last 5, after starting 8-3.

Regardless, it's been a long and winding road for all Jets' fans. The prudent approach is to let the team mature and develop into the team we hope they can become. Building on a solid defense is the way to go and with Sanchez at the helm, hopefully he can improve weekly. He's played well, but has had some good fortune to avoid some disasters in the first two games that could have turned the momentum for both games. The offensive line hasn't been as strong as I expected - though two games is too soon to fully evaluate. This week against Tennesee will be a solid test. If the O-line improves upon last season the Jets will be tough to beat all season - even with a rookie QB.

John

10-1... thanks for the correction... memory apparently gets worse with age, and with being a Jets fan... yes, Mirer too.... what's the diff? LOL...

Fanecca can still run block, but he's not quick enough in pass blocking anymore. Our RT, Woody has been better than I thought he would be. D Ferguson has never lived up to his draft pick, but he is still a decent LT. Mangold is the ONE guy the Jets cannot afford to lose. The guy is a beast. He can handle any NT in the league without help. That includes Haynesworth, although he isn't a true NT.

I think the Jets will HAVE to let Sanchez throw this week in the first half, or the running game just won't work. Agreed... the game against the Titans is the litmus test.

10-1... thanks for the correction... memory apparently gets worse with age, and with being a Jets fan... yes, Mirer too.... what's the diff? LOL...

Fanecca can still run block, but he's not quick enough in pass blocking anymore. Our RT, Woody has been better than I thought he would be. D Ferguson has never lived up to his draft pick, but he is still a decent LT. Mangold is the ONE guy the Jets cannot afford to lose. The guy is a beast. He can handle any NT in the league without help. That includes Haynesworth, although he isn't a true NT.

I think the Jets will HAVE to let Sanchez throw this week in the first half, or the running game just won't work. Agreed... the game against the Titans is the litmus test.

Rovers,

Based on what I've seen, the Jets are for real. Rex Ryan has that defense flying all over the place. They will keep them in games all the time, and their offense has enough to make them a tough out for anyone. I like what I've seen from Sanchez. Enjoy it Rovers. I really do love reading your Jets insight.

3-0.... hard to believe. Sanchez.... this kid can't control a wet football, and that cost the Jets a lot today, almost cost them a win. He looked more like a rookie today. I have to wonder how he will deal with the weather once it actually DOES get bad. He also does not protect the ball very well. He is a rookie, and today he looked like one.... a talented one, but a rookie none the less.

The Jets did little blitzing today, likely in fear of Chris Johnson, which allowed for Collins to have a decent passing day. I watched the whole game, but still feel like the Jets played pretty poorly, despite getting a win. The D saved the game with turn overs, TO's that the offense did not take advantage of nearly enough.

The most encouraging thing was they jumped out to a big lead... lost it, but still managed to come back. It was the defense that won this game. If the Jets contend, it will be because Ryan's defense gets it done.

3-0.... hard to believe. Sanchez.... this kid can't control a wet football, and that cost the Jets a lot today, almost cost them a win. He looked more like a rookie today. I have to wonder how he will deal with the weather once it actually DOES get bad. He also does not protect the ball very well. He is a rookie, and today he looked like one.... a talented one, but a rookie none the less.

The Jets did little blitzing today, likely in fear of Chris Johnson, which allowed for Collins to have a decent passing day. I watched the whole game, but still feel like the Jets played pretty poorly, despite getting a win. The D saved the game with turn overs, TO's that the offense did not take advantage of nearly enough.

The most encouraging thing was they jumped out to a big lead... lost it, but still managed to come back. It was the defense that won this game. If the Jets contend, it will be because Ryan's defense gets it done.

Lets not forget the excellent showing by our special teams. IMO Brad Smith's tackle and forced fumble late in the game sealed the deal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Jets D shuts down Miami completely. Sanchez has a good game, no turnovers. Jones goes for over 100 yards.

Jets lose. The Namath pact with the devil has clearly not reached the expiration date.

Edited by Rovers