[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pierre Thomas owners don't rejoice just yet

rajncajn

Just got word Saints RB Lynell Hamilton told reporters today he received most reps with 1st team & expects heavy load this week vs. Buffalo.
http://twitter.com/jeffduncantp

Jeff Duncan is a beat writer for the Times Picayune.

:wacko:

I still think Thomas will be the starter this week, but this kinda confirms what I thought about Hamilton picking up a good number of carries this week. Owners may want to keep a close eye on this before starting him this week & if you have other solid options may want to wait it out a week.

Is this cuz PT isn't 100% healthy and they're holding him out as nothing more than a precaution... and someone's gotta take the 1st string snaps?

Or is it that PT is in the coaches' dog house?

PT is not in the doghouse, he hasn't been on the field long enough this year to get in the doghouse. It's like I have been saying for the last few weeks his original injury was a lot worse than they were letting on, Payton can play that game with the bets of them.

PT is not in the doghouse, he hasn't been on the field long enough this year to get in the doghouse. It's like I have been saying for the last few weeks his original injury was a lot worse than they were letting on, Payton can play that game with the bets of them.

Yup. I think Payton want to be sure he's covered in case PT gets hurt again this weekend so he's giving Hamilton a lot of snaps with the 1st team.

Rajun - You saying that Thomas goes to the bench when Bell gets back. You think Bell is #1???

I'm not saying that at all. :wacko:

They both may be just about as good strictly as a runner, although I think PT is better. But PT is also much better both as a receiver and a blocker whereas Bell has been coming out a lot on passing downs & the Saints using Reggie as a blocker. PT is the best all-around back we have on the team & Payton has 100% confidence in him if he can remain healthy. As I've said before, the job is PT's to lose.

However, as well as Bell has been running, I think he has proven himself worthy of being thrown into the mix. In preseason I predicted that they would use Bell in short yardage & goal line situations. That may not be totally true given how I've seen them use him so far, but now I feel like they may give him more carries than I first expected... just not particularly in that situation.

Based on the very unscientific 'eyeball' test during preseason... IMO, Hamilton did not look like a serious challenge to either Bell or Thomas even on their worst days.
I wasn't saying that either, just saying that Payton may be trying to ease PT back a little this week & Hamilton could possibly be getting a lot of the carries. He only gave Pierre one carry last week & that's the first he's had since week 1 of the preseason. It stands to reason that with Bell already injured & PT just coming back then Payton may want to play it safe with PT this week. BTW, when Hamilton did get a heavy workload in preseason week 3 he had a 5.9 ypc for 95 yds. He also topped that off in week 4 with nine carries for 34 yards and six catches for 88 yards. I think he'll do fine if he can hold on to the ball. Edited by rajncajn

"Last week I had a bigger brace, so hopefully I can get into a smaller brace," Thomas said. "It felt a little funny with that brace on. My leg was a little heavy. It kind of fatigued me a little bit. I felt it on special teams. But hopefully I can get it a lot smaller and I can move a lot better, a lot faster and I won't fatigue as much.

"I felt a little rusty (against Philadelphia), especially on special teams, but I feel a lot more comfortable this week, and I'm ready to go."

Look for New Orleans Saints running back Lynell Hamilton to shuffle off to Buffalo

By Brian Allee-Walsh, The Times-Picayune

September 23, 2009, 6:16PM

It appears New Orleans Saints reserve running back Lynell Hamilton could play a bigger role in Sunday’s road game against the Buffalo Bills, if starter Mike Bell can't play because of a sprained right knee.

Bell, who ranks fourth in the NFL in rushing with 229 yards, did not practice Wednesday.

Hamilton shared reps with the first offensive unit at practice Wednesday, along with running backs Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas.

“We had a nice rotation out there with me, Reggie and Pierre,’’ said Hamilton, who did not play against Detroit and was inactive in Sunday's 48-22 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. “The coaches went ahead and told me to be ready for the game.

“The juice is definitely flowing. I felt real good running the ball out there; to get a chance to run, to get a chance to be part of the offense, to get a chance to do my part for my offense.’’

I wasn't saying that either, just saying that Payton may be trying to ease PT back a little this week & Hamilton could possibly be getting a lot of the carries....

No argument here. I agree Hamilton can be an able stopgap while Thomas works his way back. Really any RB with two legs looks serviceable behind NO's OL and alongside Brees. Preseason week 3 was vs OAK and week 4 was basically 4 quarters of trash time with Mark Brunell and Joey Harrington.

I saw most of the OAK game. NO was moving the ball at will. Hamilton had truck lanes to run through. Hamilton's statline was outstanding... but he seemed tentative and slow-ish.

I saw most of the OAK game. NO was moving the ball at will. Hamilton had truck lanes to run through. Hamilton's statline was outstanding... but he seemed tentative and slow-ish.

Hamilton is actually considered more of a power rusher than Bell or PT and is listed at 6' 235. he probably is a bit slower than either of them and I'm guess will likely be used on a good portion of the inside runs where PT would be more likely to re injure his knee.

Keep in mind, Hamilton will gets some touches. Based upon how Peyton utilizes his run scheme, he always has a three back rotation. Mike Bell is out so they need a third back to fill in when THomas is tired or need a primary back if Thomas gets injured.

People seem to forget. BUSH IS NOT A RB!!

Hamilton is actually considered more of a power rusher than Bell or PT and is listed at 6' 235. he probably is a bit slower than either of them and I'm guess will likely be used on a good portion of the inside runs where PT would be more likely to re injure his knee.

Ahh, didn't realize his size. He didn't look that big though. Bell is listed at 6/225 so they're not too far off. Maybe it's just that Bell doesn't really play to his size.