[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick is a running QB, not Wilcat!

delusions of grandeur

Okay, can someone explain to me how Vick running the Philly offense is considered a "wildcat formation"?

NFL reports "When he plays, Vick is expected to run Philly's version of the wildcat formation". But if Vick is at center with no other QB in there, then why is that not just a regular shotgun formation? That's what we always called it when he was in Atlanta.

According to several crappy definitions on the web: "the distinguishing factor is a direct snap to the running back..."

Or more broadly, it doesn't have to be a RB, but: "The wildcat is basically a formation where the quarterback is replaced with one of the teams most athletic and versatile players, usually a running back. Since the ball is snapped directly to the running back, there is no time wasted handing the ball off, and there is an extra blocker. The running back also has the option to pass, making the formation even more difficult to defend."

Okay, so its partly defined as a "direct snap" to someone other than the QB. But when that player is actually listed as QB, then it is not a direct snap. It doesn't matter if he throws, runs, or what his talent is. By this logic, when Trent Edwards decides to run, that would make him a wildcat QB?

But even Vick seems to think "I'm the Wildcat originator". Umm, I think the other guys in the QB rushing record book, Cunningham, Elway, McNair, and the QB you're replacing might all beg to differ. Don't get me wrong, I was there on one of Vick's record-rushing days (most electrifying running performance I've ever seen), but the scheme wasn't anything new. It was a west-coast offense similar to what Elway ran. Certainly not the same as this nonsense called the Wildcat.

Okay, maybe I get it now, it's based on "the quarterback being replaced" by someone who's a threat to either run or throw. Now Vick just has to work on the throwing threat part, and maybe he can be a wildcat QB after all.

Maybe the better question is, how has Miami managed to successfully run this gimmick of an offense without Pat White?

First of all, welcome to the Huddle.

Secondly, I think what distinguishes the Wildcat is the motion before the play that presents several options for the offense that consequentially gives the defense little time to react.

Philly's version of the Wildcat last year simply had DeSean Jackson at QB and didn't utilize motion as much as Miami. It was more of a QB option play. Vick coming on the field to play will most likely be to spell Kolb and play that same position. However Vick, similar to Pat White, adds the new element of passing.

If you were looking for clarification, then that might help.

If you were looking to squabble over a definition, then just wait for people like Mr Hammock or Henry Muto to come along and they'll gladly chime in.

Its a good point. The term "wildcat" means different things to different people.

If Vick is a "wildcat QB, he would split out wide and Westbrook/Jackson/McCoy would take a direct snap. McNabb's ass would be on the bench.

If Vick took a direct snap, and McNabb was split out wide, then that would be a wildcat formation methinks, but Vick would not be the QB.

If Vick takes the snap, and McNabb's ass is on the bench, then Vick is a QB in shotgun

I have grown to dislike the term.

Who decides? official scorer?

Similarly, if a RB trying to throw a pass on a halfback-option is tackled, is there a sack credited?

For the first question, the referee makes the original determination, but Elias sports bureau looks at game film afterward to make the official determination.

For the second question, that is a sack since he was looking to throw.

It depends on the players in the formation as to if it's the traditional single-wing or a different version of it. As I read it, the wildcat removes the QB with another blocker, or in Miami's case, the QB shifts over* to become a blocker or receiver. The snap can go to anyone in the backfield, and then it becomes an option play. So, if Vick and Jackson or Westbrook lined up in the backfield, they could have several options: one of them running, a pitch or reverse, or either of them could throw downfield at any time. That would certainly be interesting to see.

*if Pennington's in on the play

Edited by raoul duke

Thanks for the input guys. I really like the banter on this site, with a bunch of informative people. I'll be coming back to debate with you all.

I was more just looking for something to gripe about, because I think the wildcat is a stupid gimmick, and is becoming confused with running QB's in the shotgun....and everytime I turn on the TV I get to hear about Vick... ATL wishes him well, but I'm tired of hearing about him until he actually does something on the field.

And we now have no reason to be bitter about the MV experiment. The Ryan era has begun!

Being an Alanta fan :wacko: you should know better than anybody that Vick is not a running QB, but a RB playing QB. to be a QB you have to be able to throw with some accuracy. Since he couldn't do this before he went to jail, I seriously doubt he is much better after being away for 2 yrs unless they put up a side of a barn at the jail and let him try to hit it during his yard breaks.

Edited by SLAYER

I couldn't agree more that he is completely innacurate, but the part most people never saw was how bad our recievers were then too. Roddy White etal. dropped a lot of catchable balls under Vick, but you're right, it doesn't excuse the fact that he never progressed in accuracy, and didn't seem to care about working harder and getting better as a QB (as he now confesses, "first one to leave, last one to get there").

...and of course, 2 years off the field and I can only imagine how many bad balls he throws this year

But I do love how the commentators in the preseason acted as if Mike Vick's cannon of an arm is a new thing. Maybe he can succeed if he actually starts trying to progress as a quarterback under Reid, because he certainly has all the tools to scare defenses if he becomes accurate.

And as an ATL fan, I would still be horribly disgusted at how he took this team for granted (not to mention how I feel as I dog owner), but like I said, we're pretty happy with how things have turned out. Go Falcons!

I hope Vick doesn't play much if at all. When he was QB in Atlanta, there wasn't one receiver of any value, and the RB's competed against him. He shoud have always been a running back. When he was out and Schaub played the passing game opened up. If Vick were still in Atlanta White would be a WR4.