[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints/Jets

SLAYER

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rex effect: Saints coach Sean Payton asks for New Orleans fans' help vs. Jets

NEW ORLEANS -- Saints coach Sean Payton stole a page from Jets head coach Rex Ryan's playbook in exhorting his team's fans to make the Louisiana Superdome as difficult as possible for the Jets when the two, 3-0 teams meet Sunday.

The Superdome is one of the toughest places to play when it's rocking and the Saints are winning.

Payton cited the premier example: The Saints' 2006 Monday night home opener, marking the re-opening of the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina, when an emotionally super-charged crowd inspired the Saints' 23-3 win against the Falcons.

"I told our team, three years ago we played a home game on a Monday night against Atlanta and a lot of people will be at this game that were at that game," Payton said. "So the challenge from a fan standpoint is to exceed that atmosphere.

"That's possible. Because our players will feed off that."

Ryan took it upon himself to call Jets fans for their Week 2 game against the New England Patriots by recording a voice mail sent to season ticket holders urging their loud support. Ryan asked fans to make it "miserable for (Tom) Brady and company and (make it) seem like there's 13, 14 guys out there on defense."

Fans responded by literally helping Ryan bring the house against the Brady-led Patriots in the Jets' 16-9 win on Sept. 20.

Said Payton after Friday's practice: "We've got the loudest venue in football. And that's a big advantage."

In particular, the Saints are hopeful of making the Superdome as hostile as possible for Jets rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez to signal protection adjustments in his toughest road test to date. The Gregg Williams-coached Saints defense leads the league with nine turnovers, including three picks by safety Darren Sharper.

Added linebacker Scott Fujita when asked about the late, 4:05 ET kickoff: "What can the fans do? They can get drunk and be loud. That's what I would suggest.

"With a young quarterback and anytime an offense steps into a hostile environment, if you want to get in their heads as much as possible, the crowd has a lot to do with that.

Fujita said he thinks the fans are ready to help.

"Just feeling the buzz around town the last couple of days, especially living downtown, people are starting to fly in and get excited about this thing," he said. "It's going to be pretty electric." -- Jim Corbett

jets will be handed their first loss of the season, mark it down.

i dont do non-homer sig bets, its sacrilege

Sacriledge to take a sig bet, but ignore your own team to attend a Jets game? :wacko::D "Pats" fans make me laugh. They are funny.

Sacriledge to take a sig bet, but ignore your own team to attend a Jets game? :wacko::D "Pats" fans make me laugh. They are funny.

jets fans are like pre-schoolers, you have to explain everything 2 or 3 times.

listen closely, :D I'm going to the PATRIOTS game, not the jets game.

now, its nap time and when you wake up you can have some graham crackers and milk......sheesh!

yup, lookin forward to it.

maybe i missed it, but i didnt see a sig bet for the first Patriots v jets game....hmmmm

now that the jets fans are all puffed up like a peacock, i'm sure i wont miss it come 11/22.

but thats 7 games away! jets fans will probly be back in hiding by then......

yer Saints WILL win today.