[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

time to downgrade SS and Deangelo?

rai

this doesn't look like a good team at all. I am not impressed with Dallas but they put a hurt on Carolina and how.

Deangelo is at 180 rushing yards for the year, I can not list all the players ahead of him, guys like Buckhalter and Moreno, Julius Jones and Felix Jones etc

then you have Steve (I beat up my teammate) Smith 190 yards (heck Santana Moss has almost that in one game) Nate Burlson for gods sake has more yards and catches.

Edited by rai

You really need to be patient with DWill. Carolina has been struggling from the on set with Jake the snake screwing things up and their defense not holding any team.

Carolina will start to improve and once they get into a position of holding teams to 10 or 14 points, DWill will start to get the yards once again.

I still have ultimate faith in the talent of DWill. His low numbers are the product of them trying to come back on a continual basis but they are a much better team than their record indicates.

Not sure this matters much but Carolina might have won the Dallas game if Steve Smith makes the correct read as he stated. Leaving Jack on an island. The result is a pick 6. These kind of things change the momentum of a game/team. Dallas has a strong run D on top of that. My only thought is it is still early in the season and before you give up on these guys I would wait 2 weeks.

I am a Steve Smith owner in one out of 3 leagues and a Steelers fan...so no real bias.

How many times can a guy stink up the joint before you worry about the long-term impact, though? It's not like Delhomme is just starting out slow and not throwing TD's to open up the offense. He's turning the ball over at a clip that would make Favre blush and isn't exactly flinging it deep to stretch the field.

If I am a Smith or DWill owner, I'm really worried. Probably don't bail since we're talking about a 1st and a 2nd round pick for those two, but seriously concerned that I used a top pick on a team with serious QB issues. The next two weeks will tell you if there is ANY hope for these guys IMO (against Washington and Tampa Bay, easily the best two matchups left on their schedules). If either guy busts out a big game against one of those teams, I would be putting them up on the trade block ASAP.

How many times can a guy stink up the joint before you worry about the long-term impact, though? It's not like Delhomme is just starting out slow and not throwing TD's to open up the offense. He's turning the ball over at a clip that would make Favre blush and isn't exactly flinging it deep to stretch the field.

That could work in your favor. The chance are, they will remain a run first team and with a lead, expect them to control the clock with Stewart and Williams. They can't depend on Jake so their RB's need to be both the RB and QB (relatively speaking)

If I am a Smith or DWill owner, I'm really worried. Probably don't bail since we're talking about a 1st and a 2nd round pick for those two, but seriously concerned that I used a top pick on a team with serious QB issues. The next two weeks will tell you if there is ANY hope for these guys IMO (against Washington and Tampa Bay, easily the best two matchups left on their schedules). If either guy busts out a big game against one of those teams, I would be putting them up on the trade block ASAP.

Expect big numbers these 2 games. They will use the bye week to their advantage and are now in a must, must win situation.

The Panthers as a team have looked terrible but Williams has looked fast and elusive. He didn't hit paydirt until week 5 last year so he's ahead of his early season pace from last year. Fox won't tolerate the sloppy play and stupid penalties and they will use the bye week to get things going in the right direction. From what I've seen of Williams, I'm excited. He's got fast feet and great balance and seems to be able to dart through what look like very small openings. If this o-line starts to impose it's will, Williams should be more than solid.

:wacko: Throwing picks will never make Favre blush.

You sound like someone trying to get Steve Smith cheaper.

Edited by Randall

carolina had a 7-0 lead at halftime...the first two plays of the 2nd half were deangelo runs....he touched the ball twice the rest of the game and that was on two receptions on their last drive of the game down 21-7 with the outcome determined....absolutely assinine....the guy was averaging almost 6 yards a carry...the guy was arguably the best back in football last year....they go down 10-7 and come out on their first play and throw a bomb to steve smith in quadruple coverage???? talk about just panic mode....the play calling was absolutely pathetic

im not ready to panic with deangelo though...the bye week is upon them...and they really need to refamiliarize with their identity....which is to run the ball behind gross,wharton, and otah....deangelo looks as explosive as ever if you ask me....and he does at least have two tds so far...which is more than alot of guys

carolina had a 7-0 lead at halftime...the first two plays of the 2nd half were deangelo runs....he touched the ball twice the rest of the game and that was on two receptions on their last drive of the game down 21-7 with the outcome determined....absolutely assinine....the guy was averaging almost 6 yards a carry...the guy was arguably the best back in football last year....they go down 10-7 and come out on their first play and throw a bomb to steve smith in quadruple coverage???? talk about just panic mode....the play calling was absolutely pathetic

im not ready to panic with deangelo though...the bye week is upon them...and they really need to refamiliarize with their identity....which is to run the ball behind gross,wharton, and otah....deangelo looks as explosive as ever if you ask me....and he does at least have two tds so far...which is more than alot of guys

+1. Good post.

Hit it right on the head. Just awful play calling...........They need to just hand it to Dwill 20 times a game regardless of field position or score.

+2. I concur that the play calling in the 2nd half was horrible. Carolina abandoned the running game way too early. When Carolina was on a roll last year, they were consistently pounding the rock. That's their bread and butter. Teams knew they were going to run the ball and still couldn't stop'em. Carolina needs to get into that mode again. That's the only way they can be successful. An effective running game also benefits Smith since he tends to hit his bigger plays off of play action pass. When Carolina is forced to pass, they're in big trouble since they don't have enough talent at WR outside of Smith. Teams can double- or triple-cover Smith and shut him down if they don't have to worry about the run. [P.S: my son was agonizing over the game Mon. night since he just needed 6 more yards from DeAngelo to overtake his opponent. Those 6 yards never came :wacko: ].

Hit it right on the head. Just awful play calling...........They need to just hand it to Dwill 20 times a game regardless of field position or score.

Exactly. I damn near threw the TV through the window when they had Wms looking good and Delhomme (still) looking pathetic.....yet they kept passing a lot, and often long balls which had about zero chance. Unbelievably bad play calling.

They should feed Wms a LOT (with a little Stewart mixed in to keep him fresh mostly) and the occasional (short) pass. Once in a great while try something deep to keep them honest but no more.

Who was that stud TE CAR had back in the 90s? Dave Moore or some such? They could use a guy like that VERY badly. In fact I've been amazed they haven't made any kind of move for a stud TE since.

Exactly. I damn near threw the TV through the window when they had Wms looking good and Delhomme (still) looking pathetic.....yet they kept passing a lot, and often long balls which had about zero chance. Unbelievably bad play calling.

They should feed Wms a LOT (with a little Stewart mixed in to keep him fresh mostly) and the occasional (short) pass. Once in a great while try something deep to keep them honest but no more.

Who was that stud TE CAR had back in the 90s? Dave Moore or some such? They could use a guy like that VERY badly. In fact I've been amazed they haven't made any kind of move for a stud TE since.

I think you are referring to Wesley Walls.... They will get it somewhat straightened out, but if Jake doesn't figure it out Williams will be no where near the back he was last year. I would put 9 in the box the way Delhomme is playing right now.... He does like to force it to SSmith though.... I have neither but would wait for DWill to have a good game and unload him and I would look to Buy low on Smith.