[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

welker

cffl2323

Because it's the Patriots, we have no idea what the injury even is, let alone how long it'll take to heal. My guess is that he is having swelling in the knee. That's why he's been questionable. If he can practice without it swelling up, my guess would be he'd play. Until that happens, he's gonna be a game-time-decision. But what do I know?

Beat writer Mike Reiss would not be surprised if Wes Welker was "shut down" around the Patriots Week 8 bye for cleanup on his injured knee.

Reiss' hunch is that Welker is dealing with swelling in his knee, and it's not a good sign that it happened so early in the season. He makes it clear that he's speculating, but the Patriots would want Welker to return to full health later in the season. The knee issue isn't going away on its own, so a minor scope makes sense. Welker owners should be protecting themselves with Julian Edelman as a handcuff.

Source: ESPN.com