[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LSU / GA

Boomer Sooner

You can dial back the "Sooner" fans angle because the're not the only ones who feel that way.

I was really looking forward to watching this game and it was a major let down. The last few minutes were somewhat exciting but a better description would be, they were a complete and utter mess.

You can dial back the "Sooner" fans angle because the're not the only ones who feel that way.

I was really looking forward to watching this game and it was a major let down. The last few minutes were somewhat exciting but a better description would be, they were a complete and utter mess.

I figured it was a major let down for you considering your bold prediction that there is a distinct possibility that LSU could be 4-2. :wacko:

By the way, what did you think of LSU's 88 yard "must have" drive on the road in Athens? You had to be impressed.

18 play 60 yard drive. :D

Agreed. No drive should take that many plays. But perhaps that's a compliment to the Tigers bend but don't break defensive strategy.

LSU's drive though was 12 plays 88 yards with the game on the line on the road in Athens against arguable one of the SEC's historically better teams. :wacko:

okay... I'll step up and say it... the ref's call on the excessive celebration against A.J.Green was horrible and changed the outcome of the game. I never (well, hardly ever) blame a game's outcome on the referees... but with that said...Holy chit, did they change the outcome in this one! that was AS bad as the Washington one from last year with the QB tossing the ball in the air!

Don't give me the crap about "well they made up for it by giving one to LSU after their score"... and don't give me that, "well LSU already made a good return on the kick"...

The kickoff coverage (and kick) would have been different, LSU's offensive play calls would have been different, Georgia's defensive play calls would have been different, and it DID change the outcome of that game. The fact that an official felt the need to interject himself into the game and to play the sportsmanship card in an emotionally charged time of the game... well the NCAA needs to go back and re-assess what the "f'" competition is and what celebration is all about.

Sorry, again 99.99% of the time, I agree with the fact that a team makes it own chances throughout the game and shouldn't have left it up to a referee's call to begin with, but that was ridiculous to see a game end because of a call like that.

ETA: I have noticed MUCH more relaxed officiating on showboating in general this year as whole. This is observation across conferences, and is just an observation. I thought about making making a thread to see if anyone else had noticed it, but decided not to bother. It just makes the calls like this that much more inconsistent.

Edited by millerx

okay... I'll step up and say it... the ref's call on the excessive celebration against A.J.Green was horrible and changed the outcome of the game. I never (well, hardly ever) blame a game's outcome on the referees... but with that said...Holy chit, did they change the outcome in this one! that was AS bad as the Washington one from last year with the QB tossing the ball in the air!

Don't give me the crap about "well they made up for it by giving one to LSU after their score"... and don't give me that, "well LSU already made a good return on the kick"...

The kickoff coverage (and kick) would have been different, LSU's offensive play calls would have been different, Georgia's defensive play calls would have been different, and it DID change the outcome of that game. The fact that an official felt the need to interject himself into the game and to play the sportsmanship card in an emotionally charged time of the game... well the NCAA needs to go back and re-assess what the "f'" competition is and what celebration is all about.

Sorry, again 99.99% of the time, I agree with the fact that a team makes it own chances throughout the game and shouldn't have left it up to a referee's call to begin with, but that was ridiculous to see a game end because of a call like that.

ETA: I have noticed MUCH more relaxed officiating on showboating in general this year as whole. This is observation across conferences, and is just an observation. I thought about making making a thread to see if anyone else had noticed it, but decided not to bother. It just makes the calls like this that much more inconsistent.

First off, I completely agree that the call was a joke as it is about 99% of the time. They seriously need to change that rule to a taunting rule and yesterday. You get in the other team's face after a score, throw the flag. You make some disrespectful gesture to the opposing fans, throw the flag. Hell, you want to flag a team for some planned out routine, go ahead. But heaven forbid you should act happy after scoring the go-ahead score or any freaking score for that matter. Heaven forbid your teammates mob you after such a score. They're freaking kids and, last I checked, it's a freaking game.

It's a cultural thing and it all comes from older white guys trying to legislate what younger (primarily) black guys should act like. Thing is, older white guys don't show emotion. They dress in khakis and button down shirts and drive beige cars. That's no more how you should act than being more flamboyant, but they seem to think so. Mind you, their wives likely wish they were a bit less reserved, so there's a pretty decent chunk of the populace that's not exactly down with the old white dude "breast your cards" routine.

And it most certainly had an effect on the game because 15 yards is 15 yards. But, unless a bad call allows what is ultimately the winning drive to continue (or, I suppose unfairly halts what may have been the winning drive), I have a hard time saying it changed the outcome of the game. The 32 yard TD run is not a play designed to go for 32 yards, but it did.

For the most part, the game was boring as hell. The last 5 minutes or so made it the best game of the day. If you had asked me prior to the game who I was rooting for, I would have told you LSU (family down their plus they beat the Sooners), but still I think they got gifted the game with that excessive celebration penalty.

Detlef, I totally agree with the first paragraph of your post above. I don't necessarily agree with the second as I don't think old white guys have much of anything to do with it, but rather wanting to try to imitate the NFL.

For the most part, the game was boring as hell. The last 5 minutes or so made it the best game of the day. If you had asked me prior to the game who I was rooting for, I would have told you LSU (family down their plus they beat the Sooners), but still I think they got gifted the game with that excessive celebration penalty.

Detlef, I totally agree with the first paragraph of your post above. I don't necessarily agree with the second as I don't think old white guys have much of anything to do with it, but rather wanting to try to imitate the NFL.

Who's making the rules? Old white guys. I'm not saying that they're trying to be blatantly racist, rather that that they interpret outward displays of excitement as disrespectful or unwarranted because that's not how they roll. And it isn't how they roll.

First off I agree neither of the excessive celebration penalties should have been called. So we agree on that.

However for some reason you think there is "no way" LSU could have won that game without that call? :wacko: You do realize the game didn't end on that penalty, right?

All LSU needed was a FG? It's not like LSU kicker can't kick either. He's already proven this season he can kick a 50 plus yard FG. That means LSU only needed to get to say the 37/38 yard line for a legit shot at a game winning FG. And if you watched LSU's previous drive for 88 yards with the game on the line then you know that was a real possiblity. Heck for awhile there I was wondering if LSU might have scored too soon. So backin them up 15 to 25 yards might have actually worked in the Tigers favor because LSU would have likely used more time.

And please don't you give me your crap that your idea of how the game WOULD HAVE finished is any better than mine. :D

Who's making the rules? Old white guys. I'm not saying that they're trying to be blatantly racist, rather that that they interpret outward displays of excitement as disrespectful or unwarranted because that's not how they roll. And it isn't how they roll.

Maybe football isn't that big of a deal in North Carolina anymore (my great uncle actually played for North Carolina under Ray Wolf), but around here we have a bunch of old white guys that are known for excessive celebration every time their alma mater scores.

It's a cultural thing and it all comes from older white guys trying to legislate what younger (primarily) black guys should act like. Thing is, older white guys don't show emotion. They dress in khakis and button down shirts and drive beige cars. That's no more how you should act than being more flamboyant, but they seem to think so. Mind you, their wives likely wish they were a bit less reserved, so there's a pretty decent chunk of the populace that's not exactly down with the old white dude "breast your cards" routine.

This is the best part of this thread. It also reminds me that I have to find these wimmins and gets me some old white lady tail. Should be some low hanging fruit with low hanging fruits!

I realize that I am late to this discussion - I have been busy this year.

Those celebratory calls at the end of this game were ridiculous. From what I could gather, you can jump around with your teammates - as long as you do not stick a finger in the air? Did I get that correctly?