[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Loved the Pink out!

SteelBunz

I'm pretty insensitive, but I wasn't gonna go there. But since you did - BC affects like 10% of women (IIRC). But protate cancer hits like 1/3 of men, right? I just don't get why PC cancer survivors aren't lionized and the disease isn't given the same attention as BC. And my Grandfather died from what started as PC about 15 months ago. Just a question - not looking to make a point. :wacko: I just think PC should get as much attention as BC does, that's all.

Since you both went there......do you want the numbers?

The estimated mortality figures for 2009:

26,329 men will succumb to prostate cancer. Average age at death is about 75.

40,470 women will die of breast cancer. Average age at death is about 61.

Lifetime probability of developing.....

Prostate cancer for men...1 in 6. The ACS recommends men start PSA testing @ 50.

Breast cancer for women.....1 in 8. The ACS recommends annual mammograms starting @ 40.

5 year survival rate for both diseases:

99+% for Prostate cancer

90% for Breast cancer

(All stats came directly from the American Cancer Society.)

I totally agree.....Prostate cancer is a BIG issue. Both can be devastating to quality of life. But the fact is that prostate cancer has a very slow progression as diseases go. Most men that ever find out they have prostate cancer will die of something else before prostate cancer can claim them. If you want to talk about the worst cancer.....only 5% of patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer ever make it to the 5 yr survival rate.

Let's face it......there are a ton of causes out there to support and a ton of diseases we should all be aware of and watch out for personally. But between these two, breast cancer strikes earlier and faster, generally speaking. **I'm not saying it's any more insidious...just stating the obvious.

Maybe next year they'll do a Prostate Cancer Awareness month........they should! I just think it was nice of them to tip their hats to all the female fans of the NFL. And all the men who love them. We sort of get tired of the ED and Avodart commercials. :D

As far as the concussion and indigent ex-player discussions? I think the NFL has a long way to go to own up to it's own shortcomings. But these seem more of an "in-house" sort of acknowledgment and clean up to me. Sure there should be more media attention. But is the average fan going to be a multiple concussion stat? Or be an indigent ex-player? :D

Just thought......since you all brought it up.....you'd like to see the numbers. :D

Edited by SteelBunz

The estimated mortality figures for 2009:

26,329 men will succumb to prostate cancer. Average age at death is about 75.

40,470 women will die of breast cancer. Average age at death is about 61.

Lifetime probability of developing.....

Prostate cancer for men...1 in 6. The ACS recommends men start PSA testing @ 50.

Breast cancer for women.....1 in 8. The ACS recommends annual mammograms starting @ 40.

5 year survival rate for both diseases:

99+% for Prostate cancer

90% for Breast cancer

(All stats came directly from the American Cancer Society.)

How much research is done on BC vs PC? I've had family members affected by both, but I too have always found it strange their is so many BC fund raisers, yet you don't hear anything bout PC.

my doc said if it's agressive and hits you when you are young, it is sometimes so much harder to treat...my sister's best friend just died of BC at the ripe age of 38...she had developed what she thought was a rash on one of her breasts, she asked the 1st doc about it, he said don't worry it's nothing....6 months later, she noticed this rash worsening and went in for a mammo...it was BC and it had already spread to the lymph nodes. Later it matastacized to the brain, which was a heart-wrenching battle...she lost most mental function, and sadly couldn't even recognize or talk there at the end. She left behind a 5 yr old boy too. Cancer sucks!!!

How much research is done on BC vs PC? I've had family members affected by both, but I too have always found it strange their is so many BC fund raisers, yet you don't hear anything bout PC.

Personally......I hear about both all the time. But I think, in general, women are better at 'organizing grass roots fund raisers'......just my opinion. And we've gone on for so long being sort of dissed by the medical community, that we had to make a stink and raise money to find better treatments. Yes...I went there. Did you know most heart medications were never tested in control groups that contained women until about 10 years ago? And that heart disease claims both men and women at an alarming rate, yet it's almost always missed in female patients as a diagnosis?

And honestly.....I think men get a little shy about talking about PC because so many of the treatments will end up making them impotent.

Maybe women deal better with being "boobless" or having to have reconstructive surgery...than men do being hardon-less. :wacko:

So which is worse? They didn't lop off your peener, but it doesn't work? Or they lopped off your boob in a body-conscious society?

See.....I think it's a toss up, personally. They are BOTH bad.......no doubt about it.

Just save your life......I think that's the point. And if women have to make a little noise to get better treatment......we will.

Why don't you guys have a "Run for the Cure".....etc.? There are so many things to dislike Lance Armstrong over.....but you have to applaud his open frankness about testicular cancer. That was pretty darn brave I think. And I'd never heard much about it until then.

All cancer is just diabolical.....that's all I can say. :D

And heart disease beats them both in number of lives claimed each year.....in case you didn't know.

Great post sweetie!

In the last few years, two very dear HS friends of mine had breast cancer. The first was "fairly minor" 2 months of radiation, a little more surgery and she is free from it. The other had it real bad. 2 years of Chemo and radiation! :wacko: And she never missed a day of work!!! :D:D She is one tough chermin. She is for now free of this devil.

Bless both of you, Diane and Donna! :D:D They grabbed it by the nose and kicked it's ass! Two very gutsy women who wouldn't allow it to overwhelm them. And kudos to the NFL for encouraging the "THE PINK". I know DA Bears had more than their share of colors on.

Why don't you guys have a "Run for the Cure".....etc.? There are so many things to dislike Lance Armstrong over.....but you have to applaud his open frankness about testicular cancer. That was pretty darn brave I think. And I'd never heard much about it until then.

Since you mentioned my boy Lance, the amount he has done to raise awareness about testicular cancer and overall cancer research is absolutely unbelieveable!!!

I recently heard Lance speak and the man is truly inspirational about driving the awareness of cancer and more importantly, raising money to fight it... You may find things to not like him personally, but once you read and understand what he's done on this single topic not just nationally, but globally, I think you may change your mind!

Check out the Lance Armstrong Foundation called LiveStrong at: LiveStrong.org

I've personally lost my mother, my brother, and several aunts / uncle's to cancer, plus my Mother-in-Law and a close friend of mine have both had breast cancer. Fortunately, the last two beat it!!!

I personally wear one of the LiveStrong yellow bracelets all the time....... :D

I hate this disease :wacko: and hope they find a way to cure it in our lifetime!!!

I applaud the NFL for doing this in their own flamboyant fashion!

:wacko:

Although I'd prefer simply a "cancer month" vs just breast cancer.

PS: you don't "beat" cancer. You hold it at bay.

PS2: I think it makes more sense to talk about cancer in terms of what kind it is, not where it pops up-? (I'm serious when I say "I think" as I'm still learning about this fn ****). For ex "breast cancer" - all kinds of cancers can show up there.

So which is worse? They didn't lop off your peener, but it doesn't work? Or they lopped off your boob in a body-conscious society?
Not sure there's any point in comparisons as both suck pretty bad, but FYI they don't "lop off" your boob, and you can get reconstructive surgery, which may in fact be paid for by insurance to boot. The upside there is you can get em about as big as ya want :wacko::D Edited by BeeR

It's a fact women are better organizers about maladies than men. Also because women talk more frankly and realistically with each other about physical issues than men they form a bond that promotes honesty without humiliation. Women always say they got the "girls" checked and it's fine between them: but you would never hear a man say "I got the boys checked". Truth be told; If more women than men got PC there would be a PC awareness month.

Not sure there's any point in comparisons as both suck pretty bad, but FYI they don't "lop off" your boob, and you can get reconstructive surgery, which may in fact be paid for by insurance to boot. The upside there is you can get em about as big as ya want :wacko::D

On these two points:

1: They most certainly do, and the scars are horrific

2: Insurance is required to cover reconstruction, otherwise they wouldn't.

I wasn't trying to be insensitive or to "go there". I just think it's strange that it's the cause of choice for a male sport to chose a overwhelmingly female issue. There's nothing wrong with it...over half of all NFL fans are female...just unusual of a choice.

We sort of get tired of the ED and Avodart commercials. :wacko:
The ED and Avodart commercials are just payback for years of Summers Eve, Always (with Wings!), and Tampax commercials us men have lived though.

1: They most certainly do, and the scars are horrific

They most certainly do not, or at the very least did not in the case of someone close to me. The scars are considerable but I would not call "horrific." Guess she had a really good doc.

I wasn't trying to be insensitive or to "go there". I just think it's strange that it's the cause of choice for a male sport to chose a overwhelmingly female issue. There's nothing wrong with it...over half of all NFL fans are female...just unusual of a choice.

I didn't think you were being insensitive. I thought they were valid points.

And maybe...in this country.....we should just have Cancer Awareness Month.......not any particular cancer, so to speak.

The ED and Avodart commercials are just payback for years of Summers Eve, Always (with Wings!), and Tampax commercials us men have lived though.

:wacko:

Watch a lot of daytime drama, do you?

Edited by SteelBunz

And hey Beer......I used the word "Lop" sort of affectionately. :wacko: When my Mother went through this, she had a fabulous sense of sarcastic humor...almost a cruel humor towards the cancer. She'd say that to her clients wanting to know why she'd be gone for 3 weeks. "Oh.....I've got to go get a boob lopped off." It just stunned people. They never knew what to say.......lol. Sort of an unmentionable subject in 'polite circles'....something no one talked about.

When I'd ask her why she was almost shouting it from the rooftops.....she said this. "I didn't do anything to GET this disease. It isn't 'my fault.' Why should I go around whispering or covering it up just because other people have a hard time dealing with reality?" Good point. And I saw a whole new strength in my Mother from that point on.

She carried around a little notepad......and anyone "hurting" her got their name written down for the imaginary lawsuit pending......lol. If a nurse ripped off a bandaid too fast......name went in the book. Morphine drip too slow? Names in the book. Through the whole awful ordeal......she had me laughing. Amazing.

And yes.....the scar was pretty horrible. Hers was just starting into the body wall.....anyone who understands that sentence knows how much of a miracle it is that she is still here 15 years later to talk about it. I would imagine the scarring has a lot to do with where and how far advanced the cancer is. 15 years ago.....no one was really talking "lumpectomy", trying to save most of the breast tissue. But it wouldn't have mattered in this case.....my Mom wasn't a candidate for that type of procedure.

Sorry if some of you think this is TMI. It's awareness month.....I just thought I'd take that at face value. :D

I was at the Cleveland game on Sunday and was surprised as I knew nothing about this. But once I found out, I thought it very cool. Even wore my pink ribbon I gave a fiver for.

And hey Beer......I used the word "Lop" sort of affectionately. :wacko: When my Mother went through this, she had a fabulous sense of sarcastic humor...

Props to her. You kinda have to do that at times I think. I'm not much for the "dark" humour about it but all for the silly stuff :D

They most certainly do not, or at the very least did not in the case of someone close to me. The scars are considerable but I would not call "horrific." Guess she had a really good doc.

Not trying to one-up anyone, but are we talking about lumpectomy or the full monty?