[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broccoli Cheddar Grand Marnier Omelet

Kid Cid

This is what I made Ms Cid for her birthday breafast this morning. Just the addition of the Grand Marnier takes the omelet to a whole different level.

http://www.corrundum.net/post/Broccoli-Che...ier-Omelet.aspx

No offense . . . but that sounds terrible.

But to each their own!!!!!

Something we can agree on . Grand Marnier rarely makes anything better. Next time he should try a splash of tabasco like everyone else.

Au contraire Perch. While I certainly enjoy Tabasco on my eggs, this is a turn towards the decadent. The alcohol boils off quickly leaving the carmelized sugars and a hint of orange behind. This is a powerful contrast to the cheddar and broccoli.

As they say, don't knock it 'til you try it.

kid i know you can cook, but that is a hideous flavor profile. i could see grandma used in a hollandaise, but not so much with the cheddar and broccoli.

I know, you would think that this is not quite up to snuff, but for whatever reason, this works for me. Maybe it's nostalga. :wacko:

I dont put OJ IN my omelette, do you?

Orange Julius?

My issue has nothing to do with the orange/egg combo (which has plenty of culinary precedents) but rather the sweet orange with the broccoli.

In fact, once, as I was breaking down the brunch line after work I took the french toast soaking liquid (egg/milk/sugar/cinn./vanilla) and made an omelet from it, putting goat cheese and chocolate inside and topping it with thinned out orange marmalade. It was pretty effing tasty.

Orange Julius?

My issue has nothing to do with the orange/egg combo (which has plenty of culinary precedents) but rather the sweet orange with the broccoli.

In fact, once, as I was breaking down the brunch line after work I took the french toast soaking liquid (egg/milk/sugar/cinn./vanilla) and made an omelet from it, putting goat cheese and chocolate inside and topping it with thinned out orange marmalade. It was pretty effing tasty.

chevre/chocolate/cin/vanilla/sugar...topped with orange marmalade is very different than orange/cheddar/broccoli.

chevre/chocolate/cin/vanilla/sugar...topped with orange marmalade is very different than orange/cheddar/broccoli.

Which is why I said my issue was not the egg/orange thing but the sweet orange/broccoli thing. bp seemed to have an issue with the egg/orange thing.

Which is why I said my issue was not the egg/orange thing but the sweet orange/broccoli thing. bp seemed to have an issue with the egg/orange thing.

Personally, I dont like orange as a component in my eggs. :wacko:. That particular combo sounded horrid as a whole. If you spin it with your marmalade, that sure sounds better than the original dish listed . . .

yeah.... would have been fine with just the grandma or with the broccoli and cheddar. citrus/egg doesn't offend me

Personally, I dont like orange as a component in my eggs. :wacko:. That particular combo sounded horrid as a whole. If you spin it with your marmalade, that sure sounds better than the original dish listed . . .

For that matter, we used orange zest in our herbed goat cheese that we put in omelets, so there's a savory orange/egg precedent as well.

Do you then add broccoli?

No, and I'm not saying that Kid's dish was necc. good. However, if you google orange broccoli, you'll notice no shortage of links to recipes involving the two.

And as I think about it more, my primary concern was the sweet broccoli thing and then I think about all the Asian dishes that have a ton of sugar in them and how broccoli is so often an ingredient.

So, until I'm shown otherwise, I'm gonna give Kid Cid the benefit of the doubt here.

No, and I'm not saying that Kid's dish was necc. good. However, if you google orange broccoli, you'll notice no shortage of links to recipes involving the two.

And as I think about it more, my primary concern was the sweet broccoli thing and then I think about all the Asian dishes that have a ton of sugar in them and how broccoli is so often an ingredient.

So, until I'm shown otherwise, I'm gonna give Kid Cid the benefit of the doubt here.

detlef, is there any kind of food you dont like?

detlef, is there any kind of food you dont like?

That's not an easy question to answer. In terms of specific ingredients, I can't think of any as I'm pretty sure I've never eaten any particular thing that wasn't cooked well enough to enjoy at least once.

As far as combinations of foods, I tend to be dubious of those lacking culinary precedent or those that merge seasons or global regions. It seems that most things that taste good together just happen to naturally ripen at about the same time and are found in the same parts of the world. In general. Of course, swapping a variety of citrus known to grow in Asia for one that grows in America, or something like that doesn't count.

However, like wines and beers, there's not many styles of things I don't like, just bad versions of those styles.

So if someone gave detlef a recipe for well-done steaks, reason would dictate that he would not PERSONALLY find that tasty.

Detlef, please reference my FIRST post that said . . . . . TO EACH THEIR OWN.

That's fine, but this is a message board where people debate things. Kid Cid threw out a dish and you said that, in your opinion, it made you want to vomit. Then you explained why. Then you sort of started to change your tune as more and more combinations of the offending egg and orange mixture were brought to light.

My guess is that you've actually had few, if any egg and orange combos and simply thought it didn't sound good. Then just hid behind the "to each his own" bit.

That's fine, but this is a message board where people debate things. Kid Cid threw out a dish and you said that, in your opinion, it made you want to vomit. Then you explained why. Then you sort of started to change your tune as more and more combinations of the offending egg and orange mixture were brought to light.

My guess is that you've actually had few, if any egg and orange combos and simply thought it didn't sound good. Then just hid behind the "to each his own" bit.

Wait . . . so when I said in my original post that it sounded bad, and then said "to each their own" which any logical human being would interpret to be a personal palate issue, you took it to mean that I assumed all egg/orange/broccoli possible permutations are outside ther realm of reality?

:wacko::D:D

You "debating" the existence of these possible matches does not mean that everyone would personally LIKE them.

or are you just :D:D