[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The silence is deafening

detlef

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LSU gets completely dominated at the lines. Florida ran as vanilla as an offense as you could run with 50% or more just straight dive plays and the Tigers still couldn't stop them. and offensively they had one good drive which resulted in their usual FG as they are pathetic in the red zone. and don't forget the 0/6 on 4th downs this year. They just can't compete against a team with a strong defense. they will play Alabama in Bama and the same thing will happen 3 or 6 points scored.

My favorite part of the game? When Verne Lundquist announced that he thought Alabama was better than Florida. Time will tell.
Verne's right :wacko:

Not to take anything away from the fact that Florida played this one very close to the vest and still dominated LSU but based on what I've seen, I agree.

Why does Urban Meyer always look like he feels he's smarter than everybody else?

Last I checked, College football was taken pretty seriously by a lot of people in a lot of places. From recruiting to preparation to game day execution. My guess is that there are a lot of pretty smart guys involved in the coaching process. A lot of dumbasses, I'm sure, but a lot of smart guys as well. Thus, if you can manage to out-recruit, out-scheme, and out-perform basically everyone at each level you've coached, including the premier conference in the country, my guess that would mean you're pretty damned smart.

I think 20-30 years ago, you could get away with just being tough, but these days, I'm pretty sure it takes some smarts.

That's a nice thought and in a vacuum, relative to OU/UT, it's more or less true. However, just because both of these teams play their respective rivals in their respective divisions does not necessarily mean the loser controls it's own BCS destiny. SEC fate? Sure, but too many teams in the mix to assume a 1 loss SEC champ is an automatic for the title game. Are they likely? Yes, but not so much that one could say definitively that they control thier own fate. Throw in the fact that a close Florida loss does not hurt them that bad at LSU as would a bad LSU loss at home, especially since most seem to think LSU is living on borrowed time anyway.

Regardless, I'll be watching and hoping for a good one. I believe the Gators take it though.

LSU didn't lose or Florida didn't gain any advantage last night in their chancea for winning the BCS NC. Not saying LSU gets there just saying they are one of only four teams in the nation right now that control their own fate in regard to winning the BCS NC. IF Bama, Florida, LSU or Texas win out they are the champs.

LSU didn't lose or Florida didn't gain any advantage last night in their chancea for winning the BCS NC. Not saying LSU gets there just saying they are one of only four teams in the nation right now that control their own fate in regard to winning the BCS NC. IF Bama, Florida, LSU or Texas win out they are the champs.

You certainly have a good argument there and a bunch will depend on what the teams on each of these guys schedules do to keep their respective schedules strong. Granted LSU beating Bama and then Florida(in the SEC CG) would certainly help their case but I'm not entirely sold on the idea of them jumping VaTech, USC and Ohio St if those three win out also. The media love OSU and USC and right now the Hokies are getting lots of love and they deserve it. I don't think the Tigers win out but if they do they'll have to be more impressive than they have so far.

You certainly have a good argument there and a bunch will depend on what the teams on each of these guys schedules do to keep their respective schedules strong. Granted LSU beating Bama and then Florida(in the SEC CG) would certainly help their case but I'm not entirely sold on the idea of them jumping VaTech, USC and Ohio St if those three win out also. The media love OSU and USC and right now the Hokies are getting lots of love and they deserve it. I don't think the Tigers win out but if they do they'll have to be more impressive than they have so far.

have to disagree with you on this one. IF the Tigers win out, and that is a mighty big if, they will jump the above mentioned. in the process of winning out they will definately have to be more impressive and they would have to beat the currently #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country. if they accomplish this feat they will jump those and get in the Game. It will never happen but

have to disagree with you on this one. IF the Tigers win out, and that is a mighty big if, they will jump the above mentioned. in the process of winning out they will definately have to be more impressive and they would have to beat the currently #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country. if they accomplish this feat they will jump those and get in the Game. It will never happen but

In all fairness a lot of my perspective here is skewed by the fact that I don't think LSU is good enough to accomplish this feat. And as I mentioned before "a bunch will depend on what the teams on each of these guys schedules do to keep their respective schedules strong". If Bama continue to play the way they are then the idea of LSU winning out becomes a moot point.

As for those other teams, it should be abundantly clear to everyone by now that OSU and USC don't have to actually beat anyone to be highly ranked. OSU have played one team of any quality at all and they lost to them at home and they nearly lost to Navy at home yet they're still ranked #7 in both polls. Imagine what a hard-on the pollsters will have for them if Penn St and Iowa continue to win and the Buckeyes beat them both. USC have played one team of any quality at all and that's the Buckeyes, if in fact they are actually a quality team(see resume). They also lost to a team that's an impressive 3-3 yet they are ranked #6 and #5. They still have a ranked Oregon team to play and of course the rest of that mighty Pac-10 schedule that the west coast pollsters hold in such high regard.

I'm not saying winning out wouldn't be deserving of a shot at the NC, I'm just saying to assume it's a forgone conclusion is a bit myopic.

In all fairness a lot of my perspective here is skewed by the fact that I don't think LSU is good enough to accomplish this feat. And as I mentioned before "a bunch will depend on what the teams on each of these guys schedules do to keep their respective schedules strong". If Bama continue to play the way they are then the idea of LSU winning out becomes a moot point.

As for those other teams, it should be abundantly clear to everyone by now that OSU and USC don't have to actually beat anyone to be highly ranked. OSU have played one team of any quality at all and they lost to them at home and they nearly lost to Navy at home yet they're still ranked #7 in both polls. Imagine what a hard-on the pollsters will have for them if Penn St and Iowa continue to win and the Buckeyes beat them both. USC have played one team of any quality at all and that's the Buckeyes, if in fact they are actually a quality team(see resume). They also lost to a team that's an impressive 3-3 yet they are ranked #6 and #5. They still have a ranked Oregon team to play and of course the rest of that mighty Pac-10 schedule that the west coast pollsters hold in such high regard.

I'm not saying winning out wouldn't be deserving of a shot at the NC, I'm just saying to assume it's a forgone conclusion is a bit myopic.

In all fairness to you arn't you a fan of a smaller school who is undefeated yet under the radar?

In all fairness, the SEC Champion, will be playing in the national championship, because the media has the biggest hardon for the SEC in general, and because quite frankly, no one has stood out really. I mean you could say Alabama has, but they haven't done much. They beat Virginia Tech early, but haven't been tested at all in SEC play. Winning in Oxford is great, but Ole Miss has already proven to be the biggest preseason frauds out there. Florida just beat LSU in Death Valley. Even in down years, that is impressive, so kudos to them. Florida solidifes #1 for me. I'm not sold on Alabama at all yet, not after proving they were the Oklahoma of the SEC in losing to a mid-major in a big bowl game. Plus Saban is an a$$hole. Again we'll see. If LSU wins out, they will be playing for the "title". The only way an SEC Champion doesn't make it to the "Title" game this year is if the SEC Champion has 2 losses (unless we get a 2007 again where you have one 1 loss team and a bunch of 2 loss teams to choose from, but EVERYTHING needed to fall into place for the Tigers). I really liked the Longhorns, but now I'm not sure. Hard to grade them so far, as they have slept walked through so far, (much like the Gators before last weekends big win) . Will Texas be able to rise up like Florida did this weekend? We shall see. One thing for certain, I don't see anyone that has established themselves as unbeatable (like Texas and USC in 05, the last truly great teams we've seen) . That can change as the season progresses, but if Florida, Alabama, or Texas were to stumble, I wouldn't be in shock and awe. Surprised maybe, but in complete shock? Absolutely not.

One thing for certain, I don't see anyone that has established themselves as unbeatable. That can change as the season progresses, but if Florida, Alabama, or Texas were to stumble, I wouldn't be in shock and awe. Surprised maybe, but in complete shock? Absolutely not.

Which should certainly create the possibility that if LSU were to win out that their eventual wins over Bama and the Gators might not be the only losses they are handed. Thus, they're not really beating the #1 and #2 teams in the country and maybe then the SEC doesn't rate so high and mighty.

I've come to the conclusion that the original "if the loser wins out they will still play for the BCS NC" comment was based on the assumption that all three SEC teams would win out with the exception of one beating the other two. That would certainly make for a more compelling argument. I just think it's far from a foregone conclusion that that will happen and I'm glad to see someone agrees.

Which should certainly create the possibility that if LSU were to win out that their eventual wins over Bama and the Gators might not be the only losses they are handed. Thus, they're not really beating the #1 and #2 teams in the country and maybe then the SEC doesn't rate so high and mighty.

I've come to the conclusion that the original "if the loser wins out they will still play for the BCS NC" comment was based on the assumption that all three SEC teams would win out with the exception of one beating the other two. That would certainly make for a more compelling argument. I just think it's far from a foregone conclusion that that will happen and I'm glad to see someone agrees.

I agree any of these teams could stumble, but I'm willing to take a bet that either Florida and/or Alabama are undefeated when they meet.

My point is that you are a bias college football fan because you are sincerely hoping if not dreaming that a small school (your's) gets a shot at the BCS NC. Problem is that the SEC has certainly earn the right to have their conference champion represented in the BCS NC by virtue of being 5-0 in Championship games including the last 3 as well as 4 out of the last 6.

My point is that you are a bias college football fan because you are sincerely hoping if not dreaming that a small school (your's) gets a shot at the BCS NC. Problem is that the SEC has certainly earn the right to have their conference champion represented in the BCS NC by virtue of being 5-0 in Championship games including the last 3 as well as 4 out of the last 6.

That is quite the leap you're taking there. Your perception of your own mind reading powers has seriously betrayed you.

Truth is, as a reasonable fan of a team that is in a league that is currently deemed "unattractive", regardless of it's so called BCS affiliation, I have no bias at all in this conversation because I feel the perception of the Big East right now is probably fairly accurate. I truly believe that even if USF were to go unbeaten they wouldn't have much of a case for playing in the BCS NC game. Of course, if Cincinnati and Miami's only losses were to the Bulls and they both end up highly ranked then we have a conversation but I don't see that as likely so until that happens... no bias. As for the rest of this, I have no real vested interest in any of said stakeholders and in fact believe the SEC to be the strongest conference in the country. I will go as far as to say that I think Florida and Bama are the two best teams in the country. That doesn't change the fact that in my mind, it is quite presumptious to assert that regardless of what else happens, LSU still holds their entire fate in their own hands.

The real beauty in this whole argument is that all that has to happen is one "key" non-SEC team loses between now and the end of the season and this argument becomes pointless, so...

Oh yeah, one more thing...

With graduations, transfers and early jumps to the NFL the faces of most college football teams change wildly from season to season so past championships should have nothing to do with who the best two teams are this year. It's a freak thing that the Gators brought back their entire defense from a championship team and that Bama has back what they have after having such a great season. Their rewards for that were their spots in the pre-season polls. You want bragging rights? You got'em. The SEC has certainly earned that. Just don't tell me they have earned a right to play in this season's NC game. You gotta do that on the field. Likely, there will be an SEC team in the NC game but don't tell me anyone has earned anything yet.

Edited by BS Miscreant

That is quite the leap you're taking there. Your perception of your own mind reading powers has seriously betrayed you.

Truth is, as a reasonable fan of a team that is in a league that is currently deemed "unattractive", regardless of it's so called BCS affiliation, I have no bias at all in this conversation because I feel the perception of the Big East right now is probably fairly accurate. I truly believe that even if USF were to go unbeaten they wouldn't have much of a case for playing in the BCS NC game. Of course, if Cincinnati and Miami's only losses were to the Bulls and they both end up highly ranked then we have a conversation but I don't see that as likely so until that happens... no bias. As for the rest of this, I have no real vested interest in any of said stakeholders and in fact believe the SEC to be the strongest conference in the country. I will go as far as to say that I think Florida and Bama are the two best teams in the country. That doesn't change the fact that in my mind, it is quite presumptious to assert that regardless of what else happens, LSU still holds their entire fate in their own hands.

The real beauty in this whole argument is that all that has to happen is one "key" non-SEC team loses between now and the end of the season and this argument becomes pointless, so...

Oh yeah, one more thing...

With graduations, transfers and early jumps to the NFL the faces of most college football teams change wildly from season to season so past championships should have nothing to do with who the best two teams are this year. It's a freak thing that the Gators brought back their entire defense from a championship team and that Bama has back what they have after having such a great season. Their rewards for that were their spots in the pre-season polls. You want bragging rights? You got'em. The SEC has certainly earned that. Just don't tell me they have earned a right to play in this season's NC game. You gotta do that on the field. Likely, there will be an SEC team in the NC game but don't tell me anyone has earned anything yet.

I agree with everything you've written here with one minor detail. Certainly the SEC should not be able to punch it's ticket to the NC game based on previous success. However, you have to think they've earned an "all things being equal" tiebreaker. That being, if, say Texas goes undefeated and there's a bunch of 1 loss teams that all seem to have equal merits this year, were I a voter, I'd have a hard time picking someone over the SEC team in the argument.

Can't say, however, that I'd want to see a 2nd SEC team get the nod over someone else if there's already one SEC team in the NC game. This for all the same reasons why I was against Michigan getting another shot at OSU in the NC game a few years back. A concern that was more than substantiated by the fact that both OSU and Michigan lost their respective bowl games.

Has more to do with the fact that these teams were hand picked before the season started to get an unfair head start. The system is designed so that the SEC, this year anyway, will be represented in the "national championship" game. It's designed so that if you stumble once (as LSU did) the margin for error is pretty wide. Past years would and should not have anything to do with the present, but in college football, it does. Again, yet another hole in your swiss cheese argument that preseason polls have no effect on the ultimate outcome. This is false. The system is designed so that teams that start higher have a wider margin for error than teams that start lower.

Ultimately if there was a playoff (depending on the structure), it's highly unlikely, at least IMO, that the SEC would have won 3 of the last 4, or 4 of the last 6. But that's an entirely different debate all together.

In all fairness, the SEC Champion, will be playing in the national championship, because the media has the biggest hardon for the SEC in general, and because quite frankly, no one has stood out really.

If indeed the media has a hardon for the SEC this season, it's certainly been hard earned over the years. Think about it. Who were the number one teams entering into the last 4 BCS NC games that included SEC teams? To the best of my knowledge the SEC has always been the 2nd ranked team. So if you want to talk about media hardons for conferences you might want to look outside the SEC.