[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals-Ravens

Bengal Mania

Can't help but think out loud a little.

1) Benson - best RB in the AFC (at least) so far on this young season. Can't explain what he looked like (or why) over the last few years. What he looks like now probably looks very familiar to people from Texas. That was the best rushing performance that I've seen from him in the year he's been here (even though not the most yards). That dude ran like a man yesterday. And he could not have been more gracious, humble, appreciative, etc in his post-game comments. I just hope they get Bernard Scott in there some to give Benson some rest, because run-first football will help win games late in season.

2) Palmer - ok, Manning is the AFC ProBowl QB so far (not to mention the MVP), but Palmer is playing backup in Hawaii if the ProBowl were next week. He is getting better each week in the first parts of games (yesterday may have been his best). Offensive struggles are now (and sadly, STILL) more to do with dumb penalties and drops. But at the end of first halfs (you only see the ends of games on ESPN, he's doing this before halftime as well), and especially end of games, the guy has got some serious MOJO goin'. Granted, Baltimore contributed with some Badass-but-Stupid penalties, but there were also 2 dropped TDs and continued botched snaps that kept Baltimore in the game outside of their 2 great plays. There's no denying Palmer owns the last 5 minutes of games more than any other QB this year.

3) Chad - did you watch the game? The fumble before half was more unfortunate than stupid (not to mention the guy causing the fumble is gonna have to prepare a HOF speech in a few years), but I think every other play by CJ yesterday was excellent. He played an awesome game. I hope he is realizing that his new attitude is helping his team immensely (whereas his previous attitudes did not help his team).

4) Coles - gotcha!............................ we all know there's really nothing to say here, move along

5) Caldwell - right guy in right place (mostly) so far, but his future looks bright. (Here's hoping he continues to visit Palmer in offseason and work on his game, it will pay dividends)

6) Henry - I thought I recognized that guy. Just get back into town?

7) Brian Leonard - thank you St. Louis!!!!!!!!!! How's it goin' over there?

8) Brad St. Louis (long snapper)........the Greyhound station is downtown on Court St.........................It's a shame, he is the longest tenured Bengal (10 years), and has been money the whole time (except for one snap 3 years ago). I feel bad for him, cuz his mind is gone.

9) Defense - was playing w/ a whole lot of extra emotion yesterday (see below), which might have helped. But wow, we finally have a defense in Cincinnati that will punch you in the mouth, and not just take the punch. One big offensive play yesterday (missed tackles, but a GREAT play by Rice), that's it. Pretty impressive so far in all facets of defense. In five games, make that three #1 WRs to get a goose egg.

10) Zimmer - Man, I don't know what to say. Hug your wife (twice if she loves football like you do.......hell, twice even if she doesn't). Hug your kids, too. Then you and your wife and kids have a big group hug and go out and play in the yard. I don't tear up too often during football games, although I will someday if the Bengals ever win a Superbowl.......but I sure did yesterday. I know coaching will actually help a lot right now, but I hope the Bengals MAKE him take this week off (Marvin or someone else can run DEF for a week or two), so he can go be a DAD and reflect on being a HUSBAND, and not a DEF COORD this week. (I'm sure it will help over the coming months, but not this week)

F all that the Baltimore Ravens wrecked the Pats and the Bengals neither of them would have won if the refs didn't make horrendous calls all bullsquat cant wait for Bengal rematch;

PATS vs RAVENS

Penalty on Pryce - was complete bullsquat Brady is a vagina who sold the play to the ref like European soccer flopping, drive resulted in TD after 15 YARD PENALTY

Penalty on Ngata - was complete bullsquat Brady is a vagina who sold the play to the ref like European soccer flopping after 15 YARD PENALTY

BENGALS

Penalty on Carr - are u kidding me freaking Johnson cut into the defender and the defender got flagged total bullsquat

Penalty on Lewis - another joke, just a well timed hit, Lewis went for chest and Johnson was coming down from jump so he moved to lower position and got rocked stupid refs didn't see that they just saw a big hit a through their yellow vagina rags

Penalty on Walker - you can put your arm around player and swat the ball down as long as you don't tug on them THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED you see that same play in every game this week even in same game and refs dont throw flag

ALL of it is complete BS

Anyway I will say that both PATS and BENGALS have great teams

-Brady is a great player but hes still a wuss begging for protection its freaking football QB'S GET HIT WHEN THEY HOLD THE BALL TOO LONG

-Chad Johnson (hes a good player too) got rocked and sold the play because hes a vagina, if the catch was out of reach and he jumps for it anyway the defender has to make a play if he comes up with the jump catch, that what RAY DID unbleivable call handed the game makes defense too tired to keep up ridiculous

Its too bad PATS don't play the RAVENS again hopefully in playoffs that matchup comes up

I willl gladly trash talk with you the bengal fan again after the next matchup

happy football, f the refs let the game of football be the game of football and stop handing out BS inconsistent penalites for 15 and 10 yards totally ruining the game

Edited by thestugots

f all that BMORE wrecked the Pats and the Bengals neither of them would have won if the refs didnt make horendous calls all bs cant wait for bengal rematch you will see the bengals get wrecked with the referee handing the game to the other teams

ALL THOSE CALLS WERE BS, Ravens play tough football and get penalized for it, if they did commit penalties which they didnt than the referees in the league are inconsistent as all hell

PATS vs RAVENS

penalty pryce was complete bs brady is a vagina who sold the play to the ref like european soccer flopping, drive resulted in TD after 15 YARD PENALTY

penalty ngata was complete bs brady is a vagina who sold the play to the ref like european soccer flopping after 15 YARD PENALTY

BENGALS

penalty carr are u kidding me fing johnson cut into the defender and the defender got flagged total bs

penalty lewis another joke, just a well timed hit, lewis went for chest and johnson was coming down from jump so he moved to lower position and got rocked stupid refs didnt see that they just saw a big hit a through there yellow vagina rags

last penalty walker you can put your arm around player and swat the ball down as long as you dont tug on them THATS WHAT HAPPENED you see that same play in every game this week even in same game and refs dont throw flag

ALL of it is complete BS

anyway I will say that both PATS and BENGALS have great teams

Brady is a great player but hes still a my little buddy begging for protection its freaking football QB'S GET HIT WHEN THEY HOLD THE BALL TOO LONG

Chad Johnson (hes a good player too) got rocked and sold the play because hes a vagina, if the catch was out of reach and he jumps for it anyway the defender has to make a play if he comes up with the jump catch, that what RAY DID unbleivable call handed the game makes defense too tired to keep up rediculous

Its too bad PATS dont play RAVENS again hopefully in playoffs that matchup comes up

well gladly trash talk with you the bengal fan again after the next matchup

happy football, f the refs let the game of football be the game of football and stop handing out BS inconsistent penalites for 15 and 10 yards totally ruining the game

Do you speak English? :wacko:

Do you speak English? :wacko:

yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh dogg

can you read english?

im not writing a college paper over here!!! no need to format and punctuate correctly, don't be obtuse and beat around the bush you know what happened

p.s. sorry if i offended you im talkin about the games as well as the condition of the sport today so dont come at me with that "can you speak english" bs

Edited by thestugots

can you read english?

im not writing a college paper over here!!! no need to format and punctuate correctly, don't be obtuse and beat around the bush you know what happened

p.s. sorry if i offended you im talkin about the games as well as the condition of the sport today so dont come at me with that "can you speak english" bs

I gave up reading your post after ten seconds. Doesn't have to be perfrect, but I'm not going to struggle to understand a post about the Bengals. :wacko:

Oh yeah, thanks for trying to hijack a good post.

Hijack? title of the post is bengals-ravens? man does anyone want to talk about the penalties and how they affected the game???

I went back and made it more pleasing to read now you can read my post before you actually comment on it d bag.

Edited by thestugots

can you read english?

Somewhere between nearly unreadable gibberish and college paper lies a happy medium. Go forth and find it.

As to your point about the condition of the sport. Maybe Ray Lewis doesn't care about whether or not he's going to end up as a vegetable when his playing years are over but that doesn't mean nobody else can. You've got mounting data that shows how many effed up retired NFL players. A responsible industry tries to fix that. That's what they're doing. I don't give a crap how much they make.

The helmet to helmet bit with WRs is there for a reason. And that play was about as clear as they come.

Somewhere between nearly unreadable gibberish and college paper lies a happy medium. Go forth and find it.

As to your point about the condition of the sport. Maybe Ray Lewis doesn't care about whether or not he's going to end up as a vegetable when his playing years are over but that doesn't mean nobody else can. You've got mounting data that shows how many effed up retired NFL players. A responsible industry tries to fix that. That's what they're doing. I don't give a crap how much they make.

The helmet to helmet bit with WRs is there for a reason. And that play was about as clear as they come.

You have wins and losses being determined by these calls, and the point is that there is inconsistency everywhere. I understand what you are saying but it is the nature of the game, always has been and these players understand that when they grow up playing ball their whole lives. It's a man's game

You have wins and losses being determined by these calls, and the point is that there is inconsistency everywhere. I understand what you are saying but it is the nature of the game, always has been and these players understand that when they grow up playing ball their whole lives. It's a man's game

It was the nature of the game. They're trying to change that in light of realizing that way too many former players are so effed up. Yes, football will remain a dangerous and violent sport even if blatant things like going after a WRs helmet are made against the rules. However, the whole "man's game" card is a freaking joke. The game is plenty fierce even if nobody's head hunting.

Helmet to helmet is pretty hard to deny when you take another dude's helmet off by hitting it with your own. Sort of curious how else to rule on that one. And the PI was PI. Dude got there early. If you get there early, you get the flag. Maybe there were a bunch of non-calls on the same thing earlier, but I don't know because I only saw the highlights. None the less, those calls appeared to be pretty much spot on.

it's not a man's game to lead with your helmet. if this is permitted, it becomes a fool's game. a win or a loss is nowhere as near as important as the health of the players. players can be coached to still be great tacklers without flying into a play helmet first. lewis shot chad's helmet off the freakin' field because his dome was the first thing he brought to try and bring a man down. go back and watch it. that penalty was as obvious as they come, well deserved, and nowhere near an item of debate. it was a jackass play by lewis pure and simple.

As a Ravens avid watcher, I will say it was a bad decision by Ray Ray but the pass interference call was questionable at best. The Bengals played hard and deserved the win without a doubt, but I still shake my head about that pass interference call

it's not a man's game to lead with your helmet. if this is permitted, it becomes a fool's game. a win or a loss is nowhere as near as important as the health of the players. players can be coached to still be great tacklers without flying into a play helmet first. lewis shot chad's helmet off the freakin' field because his dome was the first thing he brought to try and bring a man down. go back and watch it. that penalty was as obvious as they come, well deserved, and nowhere near an item of debate. it was a jackass play by lewis pure and simple.

Well let's just agree to disagree about that. I personally feel that it was well timed and the "lead in" was coincidental due to Chad's motion during the attempted catch and his return to his feet.

Listen, I don't want to offend anybody's team (please excuse the language out of frustration in the earlier) or anything like that but as a Raven's fan watching these games the past two weeks and can't help but notice how calls like this are affecting the game. As for the man's game card, considerable disadvantage is put on a defensive player when you tell them to make plays but then give them a "strike zone" to hit a QB. Now I am not saying that a player is gunning for the lower legs or leading in with the helmet that that shouldn't be penalized, but if the contact is coincidental (as in a player falling over into the QB's legs or his hand grazing the helmet after the player comes charging in) these calls are completely subjective. You can observe inconsistency throughout the NFL games this week, some calls are fine and others are "close" and are called and others are blatant and not called. That's all fine and good but there needs to be consistency. When watching these past Ravens games all I have seen is inconsistencies it's infuriating when those plays that are not called in other games are called against the team you love and it cost them the win.

Anyways I guess someone has to get the poopy end of the stick and unfortunately it was the Ravens each time they played and you can always make the argument that these games could have been decided on different opportunities throughout the game.

In conclusion to this fiery little thread I just want to say that these new rules, which are moreso the workings of NFL owners trying to keep their star players on the field so they can sell tickets (and not for their injuries, otherwise why are all these retired players making claims but not getting health support from the NFL; its about the money); these new rules and calls are going to result one of three things (all OPINION):

(1) Change the way the game is played, making it less physical than before, and probably leading to lot's of game changing penalties because it's hard to stop making a play when you are in the middle of it and your livelihood depends on whether or not you play well and make the play.

(2) Make the game safer for players and you won't see any game-changing "questionable" penalties (believe me if these penalties continue the way I have seen it, it will happen to your team too, just they will get the poopy end of the stick)

(3) Won't effect the game at all, too late it already has in my opinion and if you haven't seen that well then you're :wacko:

That's just my two cents on it. Interested to see whether or not you see the same trend happening in the NFL that I see, although I'd probably save that question for a different thread.

Edited by thestugots

That's just my two cents on it. Interested to see whether or not you see the same trend happening in the NFL that I see, although I'd probably save that question for a different thread.

I can see how you would be upset about the play calling. The Brady scratch on the leg was the right call but pretty weak IMO. Same thing happened in the Pit/Det. game yesterday with Reoth, with the same call. The pass interference was a little questionable definitely, but Ray Ray's hit to the helmet was rediculous. Lewis completely went head hunting and deserved that call all day.

I agree, look at the running into the kicker call in the DEN vs. NE game, I mean this guy is trying his best to make a play and block the punt and happens to "run" (more like jog) into the punters leg (and this punter has a hissyfit and falls over) and the flag is pulled. True the penalty is called running into the kicker, but is this really legitimate? This kind of "sentimental" calling is what I fear will happen to offensive and defensive players when you put a tight grip on these kind of occurrences whether that are guilty or not. It is inflamed by referees who let their judgement be affected by players who try to sell the penalty. If the ref is told to watch out for this or that especially because so and so got hurt one week, this could lead to players getting flagged for plays that would otherwise not have been flagged if special consideration was not a factor. I understand it is for protective reasons and the penalties severity is meant to put it into the player's mind the rules involved, but I don't believe it is working and I think it is counter to the way the game should be played, and the worst thing is that it changes the course of the game. As a fan of physical games and physical football I don't like it and I really hope it doesn't continue.

Look refs have a hard job, but there are inconsistencies. I am disappointed to see that calls like that to Brady by Pryce and the one Berger took are called, because ultimately these incidences of contact are coincidental and unintentional and they are sometimes called because of the times when they are not-coincidental and intentional, those are the penalties I don't want to see in the NFL, as they are critical to the outcome of the game.

This may be my last post this thread, Bengals Fan, but I will find you and trash talk the hell out of you after game 2 because I like trash-talking especially on the internet... :wacko:), and the Ravens will destroy Cincy in game 2 (feel free to return the talk!) :D

Edited by thestugots

There were 3 calls on the last drive of the Bengals/Ravens. In order:

The illegal contact was legit. Yes, the WR ran at the defender, but the defender then clearly pushed off the WR beyond 5 yards. As I recall, the defender's arms were extended out. Dumb play. Easy call.

The Lewis / Ocho hit, as others mentioned is as clear cut as it gets. It was both hit a defenseless player and helmet to helmet. Ray knows better, and there is no excuse for it. He made a really bad play. NFL philosophy aside, it is a rule, and Ray blew it.

As for the pass interference, I agree it was questionable, but after they were primed with the rest of the overly-aggressive play, I'm not surprised the refs called it. Refs call tighter games after incidents in all sports. Its just the way it is. I wonder if the call would have been different if Lewis never made that helmet to helmet hit?

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I agree, look at the running into the kicker call in the DEN vs. NE game, I mean this guy is trying his best to make a play and block the punt and happens to "run" (more like jog) into the punters leg (and this punter has a hissyfit and falls over) and the flag is pulled. True the penalty is called running into the kicker, but is this really legitimate? This kind of "sentimental" calling is what I fear will happen to offensive and defensive players when you put a tight grip on these kind of occurrences whether that are guilty or not. It is inflamed by referees who let their judgement be affected by players who try to sell the penalty. If the ref is told to watch out for this or that especially because so and so got hurt one week, this could lead to players getting flagged for plays that would otherwise not have been flagged if special consideration was not a factor. I understand it is for protective reasons and the penalties severity is meant to put it into the player's mind the rules involved, but I don't believe it is working and I think it is counter to the way the game should be played, and the worst thing is that it changes the course of the game. As a fan of physical games and physical football I don't like it and I really hope it doesn't continue.

Look refs have a hard job, but there are inconsistencies. I am disappointed to see that calls like that to Brady by Pryce and the one Berger took are called, because ultimately these incidences of contact are coincidental and unintentional and they are sometimes called because of the times when they are not-coincidental and intentional, those are the penalties I don't want to see in the NFL, as they are critical to the outcome of the game.

This may be my last post this thread, Bengals Fan, but I will find you and trash talk the hell out of you after game 2 because I like trash-talking especially on the internet... :wacko:), and the Ravens will destroy Cincy in game 2 (feel free to return the talk!) :D

If it makes you feel any better, I think the running into the kicker call was lame as hell and think the calls on Brady were iffy as well. Listen, I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't like the Pats and don't have strong feelings either way for the Ravens or Cinci.

However, I do feel your argument lost a bunch of credibility when you said the call on Lewis was BS. That tells me that you're just a blind homer. I don't recall the third penalty you refer to in the Cinci game but the Lewis call was an absolute no-brainer (maybe he was, as you say, trying to hit his chest and the head got in the way but he hit his head and with enough force to knock his helmet off) and the PI call, while perhaps not the most obvious case of PI ever was certainly one that could easily be called.

That you made such a big deal about the injustice of these calls right from the outset sort made it hard to take you very seriously.

The last call was the only one you could question,the pass interference.It was close,but it was there.The illegal contact was easy,and call it a man's game all you like,but the helmet to helmet was a blatant cheap shot no matter how you'd like to spin it.There was another blown call that you left out,a mistake I'm sure,but that's why I'm here.Your RB CLEARLY fumbled the ball that was returned for a TD that the officials called down by contact.When his knee went down,the replay showed the ball was on the way out when they froze it.

The bottom line,good calls,bad calls,it's all part of the game,and it's not the reason your team lost.You lost because Ravens got beat on both lines by the Bengals.That's why the Bengals ended up with over 400 yards in YOUR house.That's why they very nearly doubled the Ravens in first downs.That's why the Ravens only completed four passes to their wide receivers.

So your going to come to Cincinnati and get revenge?We'll see;Palmer owns a lifetime record of 7-3 against the Ravens.