[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen Trade revisted

Outshined

Peter King Peter King's MMQB

2. I think if you're a Chiefs' fan, you might want to skip this section. Kansas City refused to give Jared Allen a top-tier defensive end contract 18 months ago, instead shipping him to Minnesota for what appeared to be fair compensation three days before the 2008 draft. Here's how the deal looks today:

What the Chiefs got:

1st round (15th overall) Branden Albert, OT -- Starting LT has a chance to be good. In-and-out work ethic.

3rd round (73) Jamaal Charles, RB -- Change-of-pace back averaging five carries a game in 21 pro games.

3rd round (82) DaJuan Morgan, S -- Sub safety who still has to prove self to new coaching staff.

6th round (182) Kevin Robinson, WR -- Cut by Chiefs in '08.

What the Vikings got:

Jared Allen, DE -- The league's best all-around defensive end has 21 sacks and three safeties in 22 Viking games.

6th round (187) John Sullivan, C -- First-year starting center on one of NFL's best lines.

It's not certain, but it's possible that history will show that the Vikings got a more productive player at 187 (Sullivan) than the Chiefs got at 15 (Albert). Ouch.

Does that trade by Mike Lynn still qualify as the worst in history? It still pains me....

Or the 1974 trade made by Dan Devine for an over-the-hill John Hadl for 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third, aka the "Lawrence Welk trade" (for a 1 and a 2 and a 1-2-3)

I also wonder how they feel about watching Tony Gonzalez shine in Atlanta. There must have been more to that than I saw, more than his comments about wanting out. How much help would he have been for Cassel this season? I dunno, I just still can't understand that one.