[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

addin coals

nuke'em ttg

:D so i've discovered 1 batch doesn't do it.....so i take the rack with meat off and set it in the dirt....then add more coals...bad part is it gives off this nasty smellin smoke and i wonder if that's f'n with the hickory flavor.....yesterday i used the chimney full but had a layer of coals down too so i'd have enough BUT i still had ta add more... :wacko: i'm gonna cut a hole in the grate ta drop coals cause i've been doin indirect

:D so i've discovered 1 batch doesn't do it.....so i take the rack with meat off and set it in the dirt....then add more coals...bad part is it gives off this nasty smellin smoke and i wonder if that's f'n with the hickory flavor.....yesterday i used the chimney full but had a layer of coals down too so i'd have enough BUT i still had ta add more... :wacko: i'm gonna cut a hole in the grate ta drop coals cause i've been doin indirect

Yeah, having the ability to add coals while cooking is important. The formula is 6 pieces of coal or 1 stick of wood for every beer I drink.

You may want to consider getting a replacement grate before cutting up the original one. That hole could make cooking precarious if you're just grilling somthing.

Yeah, having the ability to add coals while cooking is important. The formula is 6 pieces of coal or 1 stick of wood for every beer I drink.

You may want to consider getting a replacement grate before cutting up the original one. That hole could make cooking precarious if you're just grilling somthing.

i'm on a misson you can't stop me on this one :wacko: plus it's got 2 handles that stick up and take grillin space.....i'm loppin off one those somebeaches too

i'm on a misson you can't stop me on this one :wacko: plus it's got 2 handles that stick up and take grillin space.....i'm loppin off one those somebeaches too

You go girl! :D

ya i've around a gas grill for too long......i haven't been waitin for the coals ta get grey :wacko: always saw the BBQ guys say ok now they're ready........i never waited just got goin......been usin a chimney starter from the get go....that minion method looks a bit like what i did by doin a layer of unheated coals and then dumpin the chimney ones on top.....the tricky part has been the venting ta get the temp right....CD saved me 1 day tellin me ta add a water tray cause it was so f'n hot.....i put apple juice in it

The Egg is patient. Time passes slowly but inexorably. The smoke wafts purposefully. And the charcoal goes on forever.

• 2 weeks later...

I refuse to cook with anything but charcoal. The best way to do this is to heat your fresh coals separately and then add them. I kept my old Weber when I got my big grill just to have a place to heat up new coals. I just sit my chimney starter on top of the grate and heat them up. When they're ready (gray), I add them using a fireplace shovel or tongs. I have a door in the front of my new grill for adding new coals though. It sounds like you have a weber based on the part about the handles coming up from the grate. If you do have a round Weber, you can actually buy grates that have hinges for lifting up part of the grate to add coals when doing indirect grilling. They also make inserts to keep the coals on the side of the grill if you're using a weber.

I can't stress enough though that you should use lump charcoal instead of briquettes. You won't get that smell you're talking about and you'll find the cooking much better (higher heat, longer burns, etc...). Here in NC, we can get the Full Circle brand at Lowe's Foods which gets really good reviews. See if you can find that brand where you are but if not, here is a link to a review site for lump charcoal.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

:D I just took my lineman's pliers and cut out a couple rows of the grate on both sides.

:wacko:

Wow, that's a good idea. I bet it works well unless you actually need to use that space the next time you do direct grilling and your poopy falls into the fire. I guess you take your welder out and put them back on each time?

:D

Wow, that's a good idea. I bet it works well unless you actually need to use that space the next time you do direct grilling and your poopy falls into the fire. I guess you take your welder out and put them back on each time?

Never had a problem with it. I never, and I mean EVER, lose meat to the coals.

That's for amateurs. :wacko: