[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Belichek deserves "A**hole of the Year Award" hands-down!

CityOfChampions

A**hole of the Year Award  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Does Belichek deserve the A**hole of the Year Award so early in the season?

• Yes
    • No

I'm still stunned that we're arguing about a coach that pulled his starters after one freaking series in the 2nd half. That's pre-season material there.

If the litany of other valid reasons aren't good enough, try this. It's a home game. It's freaking cold and snowy. You've got your own paying fans sitting through halftime spending money on overpriced food and beer. Then you come back out and you line up the scrubs? No freaking way man. You've got to throw them at least one more bone.

eta :wacko:

Edited by detlef

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should they have stopped passing and start running? Would it be to keep the clock running? I didn't see the clock stop a whole lot with the passing attack so they just called the plays to control the clock against the Titans and it just so happened to be that they could do this by throwing.

Last time I looked the NFL was a contest between very well compenstated full grown adults. When a team takes the field on game day it is their JOB to win the ball game. How many times have we seen the prevent defense only work on preventing a team from holding on to the win?

You don't stop trying to score until the other team does and I didn't see Tennessee kneeling on the ball in an attempt to get the game over. Now here is where you will say that the Patriots should have changed their game plan so they could be more compassionate to the Titans. Bull manure ... this isn't pee-wee football where nobody wins, nobody loses and everybody gets a participation trophy.

Food for thought - if I were the coach of a team with a potentially potent pass attack that hasn't exactly been living up to expectations, I would have no issue running up the score like this as a means of getting some much needed swagger/confidence back into my offense.
I know when I need to get my swagger back, I go play on the most inferior person I could find and kick their ass. Now that I think about that...that sounds similar to bullying. I wouldn't call what the Pats did bullying. They are professionals playing professionals. But it still shares some similarities with being a bully. Hopefully Brady, Moss, Welker et al found their swagger back and they don't have to struggle with the likes of the Bills, Jets, or Broncos again. Maybe since Urlacher is out this season Old Spice will contact them to do the commercials next season.

I won't call them classless...nor will I call them classy either. Congratulations on Brady and team for setting an NFL record. Please excuse me if I don't attend the parade for the monumental occasion.

I'm trying to figure this out.

What if the Patriots were just tearing it up rushing the ball, say 7 or 8 yards a carry.

Would they have had an "ethical obligation' to start passing the ball? Maybe short passess only, and the receiver falls down after the catch?

:wacko:

I know when I need to get my swagger back, I go play on the most inferior person I could find and kick their ass. Now that I think about that...that sounds similar to bullying. I wouldn't call what the Pats did bullying. They are professionals playing professionals. But it still shares some similarities with being a bully. Hopefully Brady, Moss, Welker et al found their swagger back and they don't have to struggle with the likes of the Bills, Jets, or Broncos again. Maybe since Urlacher is out this season Old Spice will contact them to do the commercials next season.

I won't call them classless...nor will I call them classy either. Congratulations on Brady and team for setting an NFL record. Please excuse me if I don't attend the parade for the monumental occasion.

after this post, you now need to get your swagger back.

Classless is what you see in college pre-season, where the University of Texas lines up against St Esmeralda's School for One-Legged Blind Acrobats and, lo and behold, wins 85-0.

This was a game between two teams in the world's most parity-friendly league.

And how much more embarrassing for the Titans if the Pats had deliberately held off more than they did? I don't play pro sports but I can't imagine any Titans say the Pats were being unfair.

I'm trying to figure this out.

What if the Patriots were just tearing it up rushing the ball, say 7 or 8 yards a carry.

Would they have had an "ethical obligation' to start passing the ball? Maybe short passess only, and the receiver falls down after the catch?

:wacko:

Maybe the NFL should develop a new rule designed to make inferior teams feel better - when a team builds a lead of X number of points they are required to play short 1 player while the other team gets to add a player. As the lead gets bigger the team in the lead has to continue to take players off the field while the losing team adds players. In this way the bad team gets a handicap and can feel like they are competitive and everybody gets to feel happy.

[ETA]

The NFL's version of the hockey penalty box :D

Edited by Grits and Shins

ok, lets go over this subjectively Balzac. I'd like you to explain to me what was NE intentions other than running up the score:

2nd quarter Pats are up 38-0. 1:49 left in first half. TEN goes 3 and out and punts.

1:16 left in first half NE gets the ball. Now a team with class would probably run the clock out and end the half up 38-0 BUT lets look and see what Brady does:

1-10-TEN 49 (1:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to TEN 40 for 9 yards (53-K.Bulluck). NE 83-Welker 9th career 100-yard game. PASS

2-1-TEN 40 (:57) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker. PASS + NO HUDDLE

3-1-TEN 40 (:55) 33-K.Faulk left tackle to TEN 35 for 5 yards (53-K.Bulluck, 29-R.Mouton).

Timeout #1 by NE at 00:49.

1-10-TEN 35 (:49) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 81-R.Moss. PASS

2-10-TEN 35 (:44) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss pushed ob at TEN 23 for 12 yards (41-C.Williams). PASS + NO HUDDLE

1-10-TEN 23 (:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 42-B.Green-Ellis pushed ob at TEN 18 for 5 yards (29-R.Mouton). PASS + NO HUDDLE

2-5-TEN 18 (:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 42-B.Green-Ellis. PASS + NO HUDDLE

3-5-TEN 18 (:31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 88-S.Aiken to TEN 9 for 9 yards (53-K.Bulluck, 41-C.Williams). PASS + NO HUDDLE

Timeout #2 by NE at 00:24.

1-9-TEN 9 (:24) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker pushed ob at TEN 5 for 4 yards (41-C.Williams). PASS + SHOT GUN

Timeout #3 by NE at 00:17.

2-5-TEN 5 (:17) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN. PASS + SHOT GUN

10 plays, 59 secs T.O.P, 9 pass, 1 run, = NO CLASS

7:53 3rd quarter: Pats are tired of toying with the Titans and sit their starters. BTW - Thats when they started going for it on 4th instead of attempting field goals.

Oh, and any fan, who after witnessing that exhibition, saw the starters being sat and "flipped out" should be beat with a wet sock.

Last thought: How terrible would it have been if Brady went down with a serious injury during the last minute of the first half. You Pats fans would call for Belicheks head on a stick.

Again with the idea that they got to pick their opponent this week. Is there some scheduling deal that you guys know and the rest of us don't?

Maybe the NFL should develop a new rule designed to make inferior teams feel better - when a team builds a lead of X number of points they are required to play short 1 player while the other team gets to add a player. As the lead gets bigger the team in the lead has to continue to take players off the field while the losing team adds players. In this way the bad team gets a handicap and can feel like they are competitive and everybody gets to feel happy.

[ETA]

The NFL's version of the hockey penalty box :D

I like it. :wacko:

If they do that maybe we won't have inane threads like this one.

While watching parts of that game... we were deciding that if, at the start of the 4th qtr, a team was up by 50 or more... the game would then be called finished under the "NFL Overscoring Mercy Rule".

ok, lets go over this subjectively Balzac. I'd like you to explain to me what was NE intentions other than running up the score:

2nd quarter Pats are up 38-0. 1:49 left in first half. TEN goes 3 and out and punts.

1:16 left in first half NE gets the ball. Now a team with class would probably run the clock out and end the half up 38-0 BUT lets look and see what Brady does:

1-10-TEN 49 (1:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to TEN 40 for 9 yards (53-K.Bulluck). NE 83-Welker 9th career 100-yard game. PASS

2-1-TEN 40 (:57) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker. PASS + NO HUDDLE

3-1-TEN 40 (:55) 33-K.Faulk left tackle to TEN 35 for 5 yards (53-K.Bulluck, 29-R.Mouton).

Timeout #1 by NE at 00:49.

1-10-TEN 35 (:49) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 81-R.Moss. PASS

2-10-TEN 35 (:44) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss pushed ob at TEN 23 for 12 yards (41-C.Williams). PASS + NO HUDDLE

1-10-TEN 23 (:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 42-B.Green-Ellis pushed ob at TEN 18 for 5 yards (29-R.Mouton). PASS + NO HUDDLE

2-5-TEN 18 (:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 42-B.Green-Ellis. PASS + NO HUDDLE

3-5-TEN 18 (:31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 88-S.Aiken to TEN 9 for 9 yards (53-K.Bulluck, 41-C.Williams). PASS + NO HUDDLE

Timeout #2 by NE at 00:24.

1-9-TEN 9 (:24) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker pushed ob at TEN 5 for 4 yards (41-C.Williams). PASS + SHOT GUN

Timeout #3 by NE at 00:17.

2-5-TEN 5 (:17) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN. PASS + SHOT GUN

7:53 3rd quarter: Pats are tired of toying with the Titans and sit their starters. BTW - Thats when they started going for it on 4th instead of attempting field goals.

Oh, and any fan, who after witnessing that exhibition, saw the starters being sat and "flipped out" should be beat with a wet sock.

Last thought: How terrible would it have been if Brady went down with a serious injury during the last minute of the first half. You Pats fans would call for Belicheks head on a stick.

All of that is irrelevant. I didn't see Tennessee making any efforts to stop scoring. Why should one team be required to stop scoring (to make you feel better) while the other continues to try to win the game?

Injuries happen dudeeeeee. He got hurt in the 1st quarter last year. You wanted him benched in the 1st half? LMAO.

I hear you, NE's offense is so on track this year that there's certainly no need to work on the 2 minute drill.

If you go out and find someone weaker than you just so you can beat on them - yeah, that's weak. Again, the material difference here is that the Pats didn't go out and "find" the Titans - they were required to play them.

These posts are completely insane. If he'd run the ball, people would be on his case for playing safe. If he throws the ball, people are on his case for trying to score too much. What would you have him do, deliberately hand the ball over? Maybe phone the other sideline to explain the next play in detail? Brady was out for almost the entire second half, as were most of the other starters.

The Titans are a professional sports team who had their asses handed to them on a platter. It is they who should bear the responsibility and it is they who have the job of stopping the other team from scoring. It is no part of any winning team's responsibility to deliberately weaken themselves to avoid embarrassing an opponent.

Edit: One more TD and Brady would have equaled the all time NFL TD one game record - Belichick decided not to go there - again, what more do you want?

Agreed. The Titans have nobody to blame but themselves. But Belichick remains an A**hole because you know that he enjoyed doing it.

Edited by dbforbes

9 pass v. 1 run in last 1:16 of first half being up by 38 points is very relevant. Proves my point they were trying to run up the score. There is a thing called sportsmanship that alot of you guys seem to forget about.

Those stats don't make me think 'no class' they make me think 'no defense'.