[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Belichek deserves "A**hole of the Year Award" hands-down!

CityOfChampions

A**hole of the Year Award  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Does Belichek deserve the A**hole of the Year Award so early in the season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a thing called sportsmanship that alot of you guys seem to forget about.

That's just plain dumb. Sportsmanship has to do with amateurs. We are talking Professional Football ... there is no quitting until the final gun.

While this may have to do with baseball...it applies to the NFL as well .... "Nice guys finish last." Leo Durocher

ok, lets go over this subjectively Balzac. I'd like you to explain to me what was NE intentions other than running up the score:

2nd quarter Pats are up 38-0. 1:49 left in first half. TEN goes 3 and out and punts.

1:16 left in first half NE gets the ball. Now a team with class would probably run the clock out and end the half up 38-0 BUT lets look and see what Brady does:

1-10-TEN 49 (1:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to TEN 40 for 9 yards (53-K.Bulluck). NE 83-Welker 9th career 100-yard game. PASS

2-1-TEN 40 (:57) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker. PASS + NO HUDDLE

3-1-TEN 40 (:55) 33-K.Faulk left tackle to TEN 35 for 5 yards (53-K.Bulluck, 29-R.Mouton).

Timeout #1 by NE at 00:49.

1-10-TEN 35 (:49) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 81-R.Moss. PASS

2-10-TEN 35 (:44) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 81-R.Moss pushed ob at TEN 23 for 12 yards (41-C.Williams). PASS + NO HUDDLE

1-10-TEN 23 (:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 42-B.Green-Ellis pushed ob at TEN 18 for 5 yards (29-R.Mouton). PASS + NO HUDDLE

2-5-TEN 18 (:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 42-B.Green-Ellis. PASS + NO HUDDLE

3-5-TEN 18 (:31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 88-S.Aiken to TEN 9 for 9 yards (53-K.Bulluck, 41-C.Williams). PASS + NO HUDDLE

Timeout #2 by NE at 00:24.

1-9-TEN 9 (:24) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker pushed ob at TEN 5 for 4 yards (41-C.Williams). PASS + SHOT GUN

Timeout #3 by NE at 00:17.

2-5-TEN 5 (:17) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN. PASS + SHOT GUN

10 plays, 59 secs T.O.P, 9 pass, 1 run, = NO CLASS

7:53 3rd quarter: Pats are tired of toying with the Titans and sit their starters. BTW - Thats when they started going for it on 4th instead of attempting field goals.

Oh, and any fan, who after witnessing that exhibition, saw the starters being sat and "flipped out" should be beat with a wet sock.

Last thought: How terrible would it have been if Brady went down with a serious injury during the last minute of the first half. You Pats fans would call for Belicheks head on a stick.

What you're referring to happened in the second quarter. You seem to be the only person here who has any issue with the Pats actually trying in the second quarter . . . not sure what else you'd like me to say. There's no reason for them to let up in that situation.

Re: your FG comment, the Pats first team offense was never faced with a 4th down while it was ahead by a bunch (there were a few FG attempts but they were in the first Q). Sadly, we'll never know whether they would've decided to run/kick in such a situation . . .

If you go out and find someone weaker than you just so you can beat on them - yeah, that's weak.

Which is what some college teams do for Homecoming and stuff - it really is pathetically weak. The NFL doesn't work that way - ask Philly after meeting a team everyone thought they would destroy. Ask the Vikings after they blew what everyone thought was an insurmountable lead.

Hey, Im not p1ssed at anyone here. You are all entitled to your opinions as am I. So far it looks like 3:1 in favor of Belichek

No-one here is pissed at you either - you posted something you believe about football and have nearly got the thread to the third page already. :wacko:

9 pass v. 1 run in last 1:16 of first half being up by 38 points is very relevant. Proves my point they were trying to run up the score. There is a thing called sportsmanship that alot of you guys seem to forget about.

Sportsmanship is evidenced by Beli pulling Brady in the 3rd when they had numerous passing/scoring records in sight - running up the score in the 2nd Q is not an issue of poor sportsmanship. It's an issue of playing the game and doing what's better for your team.

9 pass v. 1 run in last 1:16 of first half being up by 38 points is very relevant. Proves my point they were trying to run up the score. There is a thing called sportsmanship that alot of you guys seem to forget about.

I actually don't have a problem with the 1st half scoring. The Pats were up by 45 points. It would make sense for them to work on running the football some instead of continue to prove that the Titans can't cover in the snow. Additionally, it would make sense to give backups, especially their backup QB a ton of time to play. Didn't NE cut the original backup late in preseason? What a waisted opportunity to get someone some valuable playing time.

Continuing to play Brady has nothing to do with the fans or helping the offense to get their swagger back. For that game they played great. That's all it did. Hopefully the backup QB got enough playing time to feel comfortable if Brady ever gets injured. More playing time for him would've been the best solution.

At the end of the day it's simply one win for NE and one loss for Tenn. The end

That's just plain dumb. Sportsmanship has to do with amateurs. We are talking Professional Football ... there is no quitting until the final gun.

While this may have to do with baseball...it applies to the NFL as well .... "Nice guys finish last." Leo Durocher

I rest my case. thank you.

BTW:

"One man practicing sportsmanship is better than a hundred teaching it."

Knute Rockne

Oh my...25% of people voted yes? Has to be mainly Patriot haters right? This is at the pro level...I think they should have kept them in the whole game. The people freezing in the stands didn't come out to watch the backups play. If it gets to 100-0, so be it. It's up to the defense to man up and stop them. Now, if you want to say that the coach was irresponsible by risking injury to his players, I would be more receptive. That wouldn't make him an a**hole though.

I can't think of many other pro sports where this kind of crap comes into people's minds. I think I've heard it about basketball a couple of times, but never in pro baseball, soccer, or hockey.

What you're referring to happened in the second quarter. You seem to be the only person here who has any issue with the Pats actually trying in the second quarter . . . not sure what else you'd like me to say. There's no reason for them to let up in that situation.

Re: your FG comment, the Pats first team offense was never faced with a 4th down while it was ahead by a bunch (there were a few FG attempts but they were in the first Q). Sadly, we'll never know whether they would've decided to run/kick in such a situation . . .

Thats exactly what Im referring to . It happened with 1:16 left in the first half (second quarter).

Again, you and I are correct about the starters not being faced with going on 4th instead of kicking a field goal. They started going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal when the starters were pulled in the 3rd quarter. They actually scored another TD late in the 3rd and did it the right way -- they ran it in.

Edited by CityOfChampions

Why throw for the endzone when you're already up by 38 points?

Sure. You could put it that way. Welker is wide open in the end zone, uncovered, in the first half, and you think they should run? Do you even realize how ridiculous that sounds? Are you a close relative of Bridget Moynahan? Really, what axe do you have to grind here?

Thats exactly what Im referring to . It happened with 1:16 left in the first half (second quarter).

Again, you and I are correct about the starters not being faced with going on 4th instead of kicking a field goal. They started going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a field goal when the starters were pulled in the 3rd quarter. They actually scored another TD late in the 3rd and did it the right way -- they ran it in.

No point in re-addressing the second Q comment - that's been beaten to death.

Re: the run/pass comment - in case you haven't noticed, the Pats are running kinda thin at RB with Taylor and Morris out and (an extremely frail) Maroney getting the majority of looks. You ask me, they'd be fools to risk injuring additional RBs by running them needlessly in the snow.

If you go out and find someone weaker than you just so you can beat on them - yeah, that's weak. Again, the material difference here is that the Pats didn't go out and "find" the Titans - they were required to play them.
You are right NE didn't chose to play them. And Tennessee bears all the blame for getting shut out like they did. It's ridiculous how their offense and defense didn't even show up in the game. Yes they are required to play them, but they aren't required to continue to destroy them long after it was obvious that they weren't competing. IMHO, they could have played it differently. They didn't. i would imagine that the game didn't really change the opionions of anyone. Their fans still root for them, the haters still hate them, and the indifferent are...indifferent.

Get off your high horses people. If your quarterback threw for a record day, you'd be pumping your fist in joy.
If my QB threw for a record day in a game that required him to throw for a record day, I would be cheering for him. If my QB threw for a record day in a game like that, I would be cheering that my team won, but I wouldn't be cheering for the career day.

maybe they are using the time as practice to work on some new things ... maybe they want to continue to improve their timing ... maybe they are just having fun playing football ... maybe they wanted extra reps in bad weather to prepare for what's to come ... who cares?

we've already established that at the pro level, you don't back off due to sportsmanship, you play football. so it looks like the only thing you have to be concerned about is that somehow the pats made the titans feel bad and that's not right. is that it? are you kidding me?

the only valid debate here is when to pull your starters due to injury concerns, and most would agree that early in the 3rd is about the earliest you do this ... and that's when the pats did it.

See above - because the WRs are wide open. Better question = why would you risk injuring RBs by sending them into a pile of defensive linemen when you can so easily just throw the ball to wide open WRs?

I'm talking about economics. These teams make money, yeah? That's their primary purpose. How can you ask a team to do anything but try their best?

Or is basic economics beyond you? I can type slower if that would help.

Uh, thats ok "Opie". I understood what you're saying. Your analogy offers nothing to this discussion. No ones talking about the financial ramifications if one team doesnt slit their opponents throat when they've shown their belly. You're a "big picture" thinker and your suggestion is ludicrous. We're talking about sportsmanship. Again something a lot of you know nothing about. To you its all about the almighty dollar. Whats sad is to hear athletes refer to their sport as a "business". Their passion is for the dollar--not the game.