[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson Trade rumor

SMF

Not sure how much validity there is to this rumor but I think this would be huge for the Pats if they got it done. SJax is a great RB with loads of talent that is making things happen on one of the worst offenses in the NFL. I am salivating at the thought of what he could do with the Pats.

Link

Steven Jackson

8/21/2008: Signed a six-year, $44.805 million contract.

The deal contains $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11.395 million signing bonus.

Another $4.495 million is available through incentives. He must average 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the first four years to void the final two seasons on his contract.

2009: $5.5 million,

2010: $6.105 million,

2011: $7.2 million,

2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable Years),

2014: Free Agent.

Cap charge: $7.4 million (2009).

So if STL traded Jackson, they would have $17.2M accelerate against their cap - though they could split the hit between this year and next, making it "only" a $8.2M cap hit each year to pay a player who would no longer be playing for them.

That makes it seem highly improbable that he'd be traded, don't you think?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I know that cap hit comes if he is cut, but doesn't his cap number move to the new team if he is traded? I thought trading him meant he would no longer count against the Rams cap?

I know that cap hit comes if he is cut, but doesn't his cap number move to the new team if he is traded? I thought trading him meant he would no longer count against the Rams cap?

The salary portion would transfer, but since the Rams paid the signing bonus, that hit would be incurred by them.

Rams GM Billy Devaney was on local STL sports radio and just absolutely SCOFFED at any idea of us trading SJAX!

He also SCOFFED at the idea that we were going in to this season still needing major help at WR, so . . . :wacko:

That being said, I think there's almost no chance he gets traded.

Because next year is an uncapped year, if sjax was traded the 2010 cap hit would actually occur this year to the tune of 15-17million. Without a salary cap in place for 2010 it will be hard to move big contract guys, but the rumor is interesting.

Edited by wolfer

The salary portion would transfer, but since the Rams paid the signing bonus, that hit would be incurred by them.

So Jackson's agent worked his ass off to get his client as much up-front money as possible because that's the only guaranteed money in the NFL, and because he got him a big bonus figure he made it almost impossible for his client to be traded from this train wreck to a contender.

That's rich. Enjoy the losing, Steven. :wacko:

What in the last ten years suggests that the Patriots would want to pay big money and use a single back?

This is also VERY true. Around here the wild rumor is that a team like the Bears might be interested because they are rapidly losing faith in Forte, but again there would be real cap problems for both teams.

Steven Jackson

8/21/2008: Signed a six-year, $44.805 million contract.

The deal contains $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11.395 million signing bonus.

Another $4.495 million is available through incentives. He must average 1,200 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving over the first four years to void the final two seasons on his contract.

2009: $5.5 million,

2010: $6.105 million,

2011: $7.2 million,

2012-2013: $7 million (Voidable Years),

2014: Free Agent.

Cap charge: $7.4 million (2009).

So if STL traded Jackson, they would have $17.2M accelerate against their cap - though they could split the hit between this year and next, making it "only" a $8.2M cap hit each year to pay a player who would no longer be playing for them.

That makes it seem highly improbable that he'd be traded, don't you think?

Thank you, I was too lazy to look all of that info up. :wacko:

Thank you, I was too lazy to look all of that info up. :wacko:

BTW, I was going to mention to you (especially looking at your avy) that last week against Minny, I was walking to the stadium and saw a car with extra tickets on the windshield tucked under the windshield wiper for anyone who wanted them. I thought about grabbing them and seeing if I could get a couple bucks from a scalper, but I was running late and didn't have time.

BTW, I was going to mention to you (especially looking at your avy) that last week against Minny, I was walking to the stadium and saw a car with extra tickets on the windshield tucked under the windshield wiper for anyone who wanted them. I thought about grabbing them and seeing if I could get a couple bucks from a scalper, but I was running late and didn't have time.

:wacko:

Reminds me of the early years again. I think I've mentioned this before where I saw the same thing but there were probably 18 tickets stuck on the windshield and no one would take them.

What in the last ten years suggests that the Patriots would want to pay big money and use a single back?

2004 Corey Dillon 345 carries, 1635 yards, 12 TDs :wacko:

That covers the single back portion, not the big money.

But, even that being said, this deal isn't happening for all the reasons already stated.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

There's a report out there that Galloway, LB Eric Alexander and M.Mathews, a back-up TE, have also been released.

:wacko: Something's up in New England right now. Not going to be surprised to see some sort of deal go down today. Another RB? Peppers? The rumors there were strong and he could play the DE/OLB spot that Tubby was playing. Stay tuned....

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

Patriots' moves spark speculation

Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 11:58 AM ET

So the New England Patriots have cut four players in less than 24 hours.

The moves have sparked all sorts of speculation.

The release of Tully Banta-Cain, Joey Galloway, Eric Alexander, and Michael Matthews opens up $2.87 million in nonprorated 2009 salary cap space, which in theory allows the Patriots to absorb a player with a full-season base salary of $2.85 million. (Because all players were signed through 2009 only, there's no cap acceleration arising from cutting them.)

Some are speculating that the Patriots are making a play for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

Coincidentally, his full-season base salary for 2009 is $2.972 million.

Another possibility could be Rams running back Steven Jackson (WEEI radio apparently is throwing that one around), but Jackson's full-season base salary if $5.5 million. Also, the Rams reportedly aren't inclined to move him.

Many also are speculating that linebacker Adalius Thomas would be included in any trade, given his surprise scratch on Sunday. His $1.9 million full-season base salary would be offset by bonus acceleration from 2010 and 2011, the final two years of his contract.

Not happening