[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pat's about to make a move

LayLow

Patriots' moves spark speculation

Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2009 11:58 AM ET

So the New England Patriots have cut four players in less than 24 hours.

The moves have sparked all sorts of speculation.

The release of Tully Banta-Cain, Joey Galloway, Eric Alexander, and Michael Matthews opens up $2.87 million in nonprorated 2009 salary cap space, which in theory allows the Patriots to absorb a player with a full-season base salary of $2.85 million. (Because all players were signed through 2009 only, there's no cap acceleration arising from cutting them.)

Some are speculating that the Patriots are making a play for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

Coincidentally, his full-season base salary for 2009 is $2.972 million.

Another possibility could be Rams running back Steven Jackson (WEEI radio apparently is throwing that one around), but Jackson's full-season base salary if $5.5 million. Also, the Rams reportedly aren't inclined to move him.

Many also are speculating that linebacker Adalius Thomas would be included in any trade, given his surprise scratch on Sunday. His $1.9 million full-season base salary would be offset by bonus acceleration from 2010 and 2011, the final two years of his contract.

Edited by LayLow

So was Moss when they got him...

wrong...moss never had reconstructive knee surgery.....moss was in a terrible situation in oakland where he could question the organization, the coach, and the qb...anybody could see he was a malcontent who was dogging it to get the hell out of there...moss was worked out privately by bb...and showed no apparent signs of deteriorating skills....merrimans knees are shot...he is clearly not the same guy he was a couple years ago...i must admit..the money lines up almost perfectly....i cannot rule it out....if the price is right its worth a shot....but this is a guy who was the defensive player of the year a couple years ago....he doesnt have it anymore

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

I don't think its a matter of teams willing to part ways with players, its more of can someone come in after week 6 and learn a new system.

Mid season trades almost never happen in football. Especially blockbuster ones.

But I agree, it would be cool to add an impact player.

I don't think its a matter of teams willing to part ways with players, its more of can someone come in after week 6 and learn a new system.

Mid season trades almost never happen in football. Especially blockbuster ones.

But I agree, it would be cool to add an impact player.

even though its been a little while...youd have to think deion branch could come back here and get back in flow of things relatively quickly no??

even though its been a little while...youd have to think deion branch could come back here and get back in flow of things relatively quickly no??

Yeah, I thihnk D. Branch would be an exception as he has been in the system before. He would be a nice pickup.

wrong...moss never had reconstructive knee surgery.....moss was in a terrible situation in oakland where he could question the organization, the coach, and the qb...anybody could see he was a malcontent who was dogging it to get the hell out of there...moss was worked out privately by bb...and showed no apparent signs of deteriorating skills....merrimans knees are shot...he is clearly not the same guy he was a couple years ago...i must admit..the money lines up almost perfectly....i cannot rule it out....if the price is right its worth a shot....but this is a guy who was the defensive player of the year a couple years ago....he doesnt have it anymore

It was assumed Moss was pretty washed up when they got him...

It was assumed Moss was pretty washed up when they got him...

From what I can remember, it was assumed that he was not the player that he once was but he was stilling getting drafted in the 3rd of most leagues and was at least considered top 15 WR or so. No great but not washed up either.

SJax in NE? What a fantasy career killer... :wacko:

You are CRAZY.

NE revived Antwan Smith, Corey Dillon and Sammy Morris. SJax would get used plenty. The RBBC being used is because of a lack of someone stepping forward and standing out (Read: Maroney) combined with the age and need to preserve the old fogies they have at the other RB spots.

SJax would be a monster if this were to happen.

SJax in NE? What a fantasy career killer... :wacko:

As a Steeler fan, I really hope that doesn't happened. I think Steven Jackson is in the top 3 as far as pure RB talent, and he would make the Patriots offense extremely tough to stop.

FOXBORO - Just hours after reportedly being released by the Patriots, Tully Banta-Cain was back at practice with his Patriots teammates on the lower grass field at Gillette Stadium on Tuesday afternoon. Linebacker Eric Alexander, who was also reportedly released and re-signed, was also at practice. Adalius Thomas was also spotted at the practice, two days after being a healthy scratch. The Patriots went through a light walkthrough with no pads or helmets and will practice on Wednesday and Thursday in Foxboro before leaving for London on Thursday night for their Sunday game against Tampa Bay. For more, visit the football blog

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-jus...r-pats-practice