[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams trade Will Witherspoon

STL Fan

So what do you Philly guys know about this kid? Can you look away from your NLCS highlights long enough to give us an idea what we're getting?

So what do you Philly guys know about this kid? Can you look away from your NLCS highlights long enough to give us an idea what we're getting?

Gibson didn't look bad during preseason and he's supposed to be a team player. Also, Spags is familiar with the Eagles people and system, and knows what he can probably get out of the guy on short notice. If I remember correctly, Gibson's also a Brett Veach pick (Veach is one of Reid's assistants who's been pretty good at evaluating WR talent. He lobbied for an early pick for DeSean Jackson, and you see the results). That's about all that I can give you on short notice.

What are we getting in Witherspoon? He looks like he may be a little over-the-hill and miscast as a middle linebacker to me.

Jeez Louise. Spoon for a no name WR and a fifth rounder?

I know. When I heard they traded him for a rookie WR from Philly, I got a little excited. Then I heard it WASN'T Jeremy Maclin.

Gibson didn't look bad during preseason and he's supposed to be a team player. Also, Spags is familiar with the Eagles people and system, and knows what he can probably get out of the guy on short notice. If I remember correctly, Gibson's also a Brett Veach pick (Veach is one of Reid's assistants who's been pretty good at evaluating WR talent. He lobbied for an early pick for DeSean Jackson, and you see the results). That's about all that I can give you on short notice.

What are we getting in Witherspoon? He looks like he may be a little over-the-hill and miscast as a middle linebacker to me.

He's been playing weak-side here because he's lost a step and they wanted to throw Laurinitis in to the fire at the Mike. That said, he's perfectly serviceable and as a veteran, he doesn't make mistakes. He'll make the plays he's supposed to make and be solid, he just doesn't have the playmaking ability he did when he was younger. Great clubhouse and community guy.

Thanks for the scoop on Witherspoon. I'm a Philly homer as well, and I hated to see Gibson go today. This guy would have gone around the 2nd or 3rd round had his team done better. He's an all around competitor and he moved up the depth chart quickly in traning camp due to Maclins hold-out. He really "climbs" the ladder to snag the higher balls. Not sure what his "measurables" are but you'll enjoy watching this guy move up the depth chart. He outplayed Reggie Brown and Curtis in my book. I hope Witherspoon fills our need for a middle-linebacker or this move is gonna anger me. Good luck guys!

Same here, not sure what I think about this.

Think it's gonna be a good thing for us Twiley. Seems like a we'll get a kid who will be able to help an immediate need. By the time the Rams would have been ready to really compete they would have had to let WW go or not resign him when his contract was up. Might as well get some picks and a player that addresses a very immediate and important need.

Gibson was exceptional during training camp. Able to go up after balls, excellent hands, above average speed, and from some comments I seem to remember Reid making during the summer, smart enough to pick up the complicated WCO with relative ease. Many felt he was our steal of the draft in the 6th round, and would be our #3 WR for years to come alongside Maclin & DJax once he learned how to play against NFL corners.

He was Wash. St.'s all-time leading WR, and if I recall, was also a cog on the basketbal team. Had a marginal senior season, and missed the Senior Bowl and some combine work due to lingering hammy issues. Many felt he should have been a 2nd-3rd round pick.

He's got decent NFL size (6'0", 210'ish), great leaping ability, and will likley be a Boldin-like target for Rams' QBs.

Gibson was exceptional during training camp. Able to go up after balls, excellent hands, above average speed, and from some comments I seem to remember Reid making during the summer, smart enough to pick up the complicated WCO with relative ease. Many felt he was our steal of the draft in the 6th round, and would be our #3 WR for years to come alongside Maclin & DJax once he learned how to play against NFL corners.

He was Wash. St.'s all-time leading WR, and if I recall, was also a cog on the basketbal team. Had a marginal senior season, and missed the Senior Bowl and some combine work due to lingering hammy issues. Many felt he should have been a 2nd-3rd round pick.

He's got decent NFL size (6'0", 210'ish), great leaping ability, and will likley be a Boldin-like target for Rams' QBs.

Well Amendola's been a pleasant surprise, that's for sure. In addition to giving our returns a boost he has been solid as a possession receiver. I hope Gibson takes advantage of this opportunity like Amendola did. He'll have the chance to compete for a starting spot immediately if not sooner. Time to step up, rook!