[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great News for Vikings Fans

Hugh 0ne

:wacko:

Vikings, Childress talking contract extension

A contract extension is in the works for Minnesota coach Brad Childress, with a new deal possible within the next two to three weeks.

That would make sense because a) the Vikings are off to their first 6-0 start since 2000 2003, b ) they've improved each year under Childress and c) they have a bye after their next two games.

There had been speculation that Childress' contract would not be addressed until after the season, but his agent, Bob LaMonte, was seen at Sunday's Vikings-Ravens game, and sources close to the club said he was there partly to see Childress and partly to negotiate a new deal.

Childress is in the fourth year of a five-year contract and was supposed to be under a Win-or-Else ultimatum this season. Well, he's won, and while management does not have to address his situation immediately it appears it will. One source said an extension is so close that an announcement could come early next month, but another indicated that nothing is "imminent."

Maybe, but it sure looks as if something will be done at or around mid-season. Childress' success seems to have resonated with the team's owner, Zygi Wilf, who has seen the club go from six to eight to 10 wins in Childress' first three seasons. Now at 6-0, it's safe to assume the Vikings will exceed Childress' 10 victories of last year. The hitch, of course, is that two of their toughest games this season are the two taking them into the bye -- at Pittsburgh and at Green Bay. But when I asked one source what obstacle could sabotage a potential deal I was told, "nothing." We'll see.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Well, they ARE 6-0 and Chili criticism is pretty muted around here right now.

I would disagree. Read the poll on the star trib and the comments. The number of people who say he does not deserve an extension is 2-1. People will be calling for him to get fired when we lose the 1st game. He could win a Superbowl and people will still hate his guts or question why this and why that. They need to get over it. They are not going to fire a coach who is winning like that. I know coaches are disposable, but wait until he loses the team and can't win anymore.

Edited by Outshined

Man really! How ungrateful can these fans be? Papa smurf is running a tight ship this year. Leave Papa alone!!! :wacko:

I wish I could find Winfields comments (pioneer press) when they asked him about the coach getting an extension. He said some big words for the coach. Winfield was the one who disagreed with Childress when he 1st got here. He has bought into the system.

Hard to understand the criticism at this point. Maybe I don't get all the juicy details that locals get, but the guy made what was, at the time, the unpopular decision to continue to dance with Favre thru the summer, when eeryone was saying "screw Favre and his flip-flopping"...he continued, knowing it would be the best thing for the team, and he was right.

Imagine how he'd be revered if they actually had a decent QB the last couple years...they'd now have been a bonafide NFC contender for each of those seasons. And as a head coach, and not the GM, he wasn't the one pulling all the strings on getting a solid Qb into MIN. he played the hand he was dealt the last couple years.

Fortunately for Vikings fans, he realized this offseason that if he could persuade favre to un-retire, this would be one of the few times he could actually have an impact on who is QB would be.

All head coaches have bad things that go along with the good. Childress's learning curve as a HC came in MIN, just as it did for other 1st time coaches. he made mistakes hisfirst couple years, he's learned, grown, and now is leading what has to be described as one of the best team's in football, with a QB he had everything to do with bringing in.

Gotta give the guy kudos where they are due, no?

I still hate his style of underneath offense, but whether by virtue of bringing in the right mix of talent or motivating the guys he's got, he has been effective. He is a boring person and that tends to show on the field at times. But as explosive and exciting as the Denny Green offense was in the late 90's, in the end it didn't bring home a Championship. Maybe Childress can.

:D

Vikings, Childress talking contract extension

A contract extension is in the works for Minnesota coach Brad Childress, with a new deal possible within the next two to three weeks.

That would make sense because a) the Vikings are off to their first 6-0 start since 2000 2003, b ) they've improved each year under Childress and c) they have a bye after their next two games.

There had been speculation that Childress' contract would not be addressed until after the season, but his agent, Bob LaMonte, was seen at Sunday's Vikings-Ravens game, and sources close to the club said he was there partly to see Childress and partly to negotiate a new deal.

Childress is in the fourth year of a five-year contract and was supposed to be under a Win-or-Else ultimatum this season. Well, he's won, and while management does not have to address his situation immediately it appears it will. One source said an extension is so close that an announcement could come early next month, but another indicated that nothing is "imminent."

Maybe, but it sure looks as if something will be done at or around mid-season. Childress' success seems to have resonated with the team's owner, Zygi Wilf, who has seen the club go from six to eight to 10 wins in Childress' first three seasons. Now at 6-0, it's safe to assume the Vikings will exceed Childress' 10 victories of last year. The hitch, of course, is that two of their toughest games this season are the two taking them into the bye -- at Pittsburgh and at Green Bay. But when I asked one source what obstacle could sabotage a potential deal I was told, "nothing." We'll see.

This just can't be true, OMG! He hasn't proven anything yet, why in the world would they do this before letting this season play out?? If they do this and this season falls apart, there will be NO ONE at Vikings games. Don't you have to at least win one freakin playoff game with the money we've spent!! :wacko:

Don't you have to at least win one freakin playoff game with the money we've spent!! :wacko:

I agree.

And keep in mind that the reason they didn't have a decent QB the last couple of years is that Chili was hell-bent on showing the world he was right about his decision to draft Tarvaris as our QB of the future.

And the rumors I've heard on the radio from Paul Allen regarding the former Packer/Jet QB coming to MN was due more to the conversations said QB had with Longwell trying to persuade him than anything. If that's true, well then Chili just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

He has assembled a tremendous amount of talent for which I will give him some credit. If he can't win a playoff game with these guys then this season will be an ultimate failure.

So a coach has tons of talent on his team for 4 years (the reason he had no QB talent was his own fault), is barely over .500, has made tremendous amounts of bad calls and bad judgements, but since his 6-0 after beating nobody they should extend his contract after 6 weeks? Lol, most of you guys that are supporting him have no clue about the big picture and are basing it on 6 unimpressive wins this season.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

:wacko: He always has been. Then adopted the Broncos as a second team later on when he moved to that area.

I guess I can understand that, I'm a hard core vikings fan but born in philly so i also root for them too.

been a viking fan since 68

So a coach has tons of talent on his team for 4 years (the reason he had no QB talent was his own fault), is barely over .500, has made tremendous amounts of bad calls and bad judgements, but since his 6-0 after beating nobody they should extend his contract after 6 weeks? Lol, most of you guys that are supporting him have no clue about the big picture and are basing it on 6 unimpressive wins this season.

FWIW, I completely agree with you. My earlier post was that the Vikes ARE 6-0 and the criticism has quieted from it's previous heights, same as it has in Denver. However, they have been fortunate not to lose to the two best teams they faced at home and have otherwise beaten the crap out of three truly dreadful teams on the road.

There's more to a HC than just results though - sometimes the back office have their own reasons for wanting a particular guy and as long as results aren't totally in the tank, they'll keep him.

As far as I'm concerned, the best thing for the Bears would be for the Vikes to extend their guy because he ain't very good.